Chapala.com Webboard

More bureaucracy if you renew FM2/FM3 late

Intercasa

So as of this week if you renew your FM2 or FM3 late you will need to request a hearing with the head immigration guy to explain why you were late. We will charge more for late people and so will many as here are the steps which is about 7 stops, so if you don't want to pay higher fees then please don't renew late.

Turn in all complete paperwork for late renewal (includes 3 months translated bank statements and utility bill)

Wait for response and go pick up notification with fine amount

Pay fine at bank

Turn in payment slip to immigration

Get a date for the hearing with the immigration officer to explain why you renewed late.

Go to the hearing

Pay the renewal fee at the bank

Wait for the notification and bring your new photos and pick up your new FM2 / FM3

Easy if on time, if late then and only then does the hassle apply.

This change will be problematic and we cannot believe it as they already have too much work and yet are adding another condition and forcing the head guy to be there when his attendance has been spotty.

Val you can start 30 days before but Spencer is referring to people who allow it to expire before applying. As Spencer knows it is even harder in San Miguel with several issues at Immigration.

Another reason I am pleased beyond words that we now hold "inmigrado" status and never have rto renew our visas nor to deal with INM again - I hope. Next comes citizenship dealing with SRE and not INM.

If they are making late renewal more difficult, my guess is there were lots of visa holders who were being careless about renewing on time so, presumably, FM-2 and FM-3 or the equivalent holders in the futire will be more careful about renewing on time rather than go through this bureaucratic hassle more than once - thus, eventually reducing the work load of the rather irritated immigration officer who must set aside time to hear lame excuses of which he/she becomes increasingly intolerant and even more difficult to deal with.

Another reason I am pleased beyond words that we now hold "inmigrado" status and never have rto renew our visas nor to deal with INM again - I hope. Next comes citizenship dealing with SRE and not INM.

If they are making late renewal more difficult, my guess is there were lots of visa holders who were being careless about renewing on time so, presumably, FM-2 and FM-3 or the equivalent holders in the futire will be more careful about renewing on time rather than go through this bureaucratic hassle more than once - thus, eventually reducing the work load of the rather irritated immigration officer who must set aside time to hear lame excuses of which he/she becomes increasingly intolerant and even more difficult to deal with.

Reacting to your "even more difficult to deal with"....

Believe me, compared to most other countries in the world, dealing with Mexican immigration is a piece of cake. As an example,... Thailand, you overstay your visa by one or two days,.... Bangkok Hilton might be waiting for you (and it is not the Hilton that one might imagine).

All my respect for immigration here.

Rony

Beeland and please tell me why it is so much more work for Immigration if late? In some cases being late is simply having to be out of country at time of renewal.

Reacting to your "even more difficult to deal with"....

Believe me, compared to most other countries in the world, dealing with Mexican immigration is a piece of cake. As an example,... Thailand, you overstay your visa by one or two days,.... Bangkok Hilton might be waiting for you (and it is not the Hilton that one might imagine).

All my respect for immigration here.

Rony

I was told that most "resident"foreigners have to leave the country every 6months..that's why "most" live at the north and nip across the border and then return......I guess as long as you know the system, then it is easy...The challenge of living in Mexico is it's in consistency ..it is great to have someone like Spencer..blessings

I was told that most "resident"foreigners have to leave the country every 6months..that's why "most" live at the north and nip across the border and then return......I guess as long as you know the system, then it is easy...The challenge of living in Mexico is it's in consistency ..it is great to have someone like Spencer..blessings

In how many countries can you live for 6 months, as a tourist, to begin with ? Not in Europe, not in the US, not in most Asian countries (Thailand is 30 days)....

• 10 months later...

Hi Spencer! How are you? My question is this. My husband and I were in Virginia as he was in the Veterans Hospital having eye surgery on both eyes. Because of this we were late getting back and I couldn't get my FM2 renewed on time. It is 3months late. I tried asking in the States if I could do it from there but was told no. Now I need to get back on track but so far it is really expensive. We paid a person, Javier at Century 21 for having my bank statement translated and for the forms and also for his time. $3000.00 pesos so far. Now he is saying that it will cost another $250.00 US for the fine and another 3000.00 plus for taxes, etc. Is this right? We were told by Immigration that I would have to start over and by another person (Fabiola) that the fine was approximately $150.00, she wasn't sure. But I was never told about this hearing that you are discussing. I am interested in doing this correctly but also as cheap as possible. I've had my FM2 for 2 years and this would be my third. Could you explain to me what I need to do? It was an emergency that we were not able to return on time as we drove down and my husband couldn't drive without the surgery. Thank you, Mary Terracino

elbelgicano

Forgive me, but why is it that we all have to compare something with something worse, or something totally non related? Comparing Mexico to Thailand or Russia or the UK is irrelevant.

Why not just call it like it is, who among us asked anything about going to Thailand? - I guess I missed that thread. I hear people all the time comparing to NOB, so what, you're not NOB and neither are you in Thailand, or Cambodia or Taiwan - please, stop trying to relate Mexico to anywhere else, we live here, the problems are ours because we live here and you cannot compare apples to distant planets and that's about how many of these kinds of discussions degenerate into mud.

PS: Every year when my owners come home from Taiwan I hear about how they exist in two ends of the universe, one where everything is instant, resolved etc. and then MX - so what?

You don't allow much for human error or extenuating circumstances, do you?

Hi Spencer! How are you? My question is this. My husband and I were in Virginia as he was in the Veterans Hospital having eye surgery on both eyes. Because of this we were late getting back and I couldn't get my FM2 renewed on time. It is 3months late. I tried asking in the States if I could do it from there but was told no. Now I need to get back on track but so far it is really expensive. We paid a person, Javier at Century 21 for having my bank statement translated and for the forms and also for his time. $3000.00 pesos so far. Now he is saying that it will cost another $250.00 US for the fine and another 3000.00 plus for taxes, etc. Is this right? We were told by Immigration that I would have to start over and by another person (Fabiola) that the fine was approximately $150.00, she wasn't sure. But I was never told about this hearing that you are discussing. I am interested in doing this correctly but also as cheap as possible. I've had my FM2 for 2 years and this would be my third. Could you explain to me what I need to do? It was an emergency that we were not able to return on time as we drove down and my husband couldn't drive without the surgery. Thank you, Mary Terracino

Mary,

We paid 1200 pesos for the late fine. We didn't have a meeting. They cancelled twice because they didn't have time. It took about 6 months, however this applicafion was resubmitted before the year end, so there was a lot of upheaval.

If late then you need to regularize, call my office I hope you don't have a foreign plated car as that will put more restrictions, you may have been able to do it from the US if you could show income and avoided all the fines and overpaying for the other stuff. Call us and come in and hopefully we can straighten things out.

They have been lagging alot and we have about 12 people stuck since April and they say manana.

Years ago when we came to Mexico our fm docs could be renewed earlier than 30 days before renewal. When INM changed the rules to 30 days before renewal it became very inconvenient with our dates of renewal. The date of renewal was cut in stone it could never be changed. I am glad that now we have the opportunity to go permanente evenso its been a lengthy process, but thanks to Spencer it has been a benign experience. Things change even in Mexico and its time to accept this simple fact.

Archived