Chapala.com Webboard

Top Retirement Spots Worldwide

privado

Kathleen Peddicord is International Living and writes and actually is able to sell these brief travel log retirement overview pieces. She and her crew have been doing so for years under lots of different entities.

Having been to several of these spots and considered them as potential retirement havens, we still settled in Ajijic. To each his own, I guess. Our most recent trip was to Cuenca, Ecuador about 2 years ago after hearing so much about Ecuador and Cuenca in particular. Have been here since 2001 and still feel like we live in Paradise and are on permanent vacation!

Valerie :)

HGTV's International House hunters at 1030pm On Dish shows many of these places on both CNBC's list and Money Mag List

at least once a week in fact many are on Central America Retirement options- with lots of Canadians and Americans who are looking for lilfe style change and can work from home.

Only city I've seen featured in Mexico recently is Merida but the climate is horribly Humid and Hot year round according to Mexican friends who have a home there due to business interests- A/C is mandatory in every room

Tell us what you thought about Cuenca.

The links sure have some great photos!

On one of the weather sources check weather in Cuenca over a period of time. This time of year is winter and I believe lots of cloud and cool damp days. But I believe no cobblestones, great architecture, low cost of living. :-)

We found Cuenca to be clean, coolish (damp) weather in September and the people were friendly. What really turned us off was the total lack of crime prevention. While we did not personally experience any problems, our very first day I was told by countless Expats to take off all of my (clearly costume) jewelry and was warned that thieves would rip earrings from my pierced ears at a run and could easily hold us up at gunpoint or knifepoint in broad daylight. When we tried to buy a stun gun or pepper spray, we were told it was illegal and it's best just to be off the streets by dark. We were mortified! We've traveled many places and considered many retirement havens but have never experienced anything quite like this. The locals were frightened of the violence and the police told us the same thing. Eventually we bought an axe handle at a hardware store and strolled the streets while flipping it around as we walked (as a walking stick).

We thought the country and the architecture were beautiful. The air and water are so clean and lovely. The people are friendly (except the thugs). The food is plentiful and very inexpensive. There are lots of rentals available at very favorable rates.

A German student (mid 20's) who was staying at our B&B almost had her camera ripped from her neck a little before noon in downtown Cuenca. The guy continued to follow and harass her and it wasn't until she went into a store and complained that he finally went away. At an ExPat gathering in a local bar/restaurant, we learned from a couple that they'd had a terribly violent home invasion including loaded guns pointed at their heads and that of their young (under 10) grandson to ensure they'd cooperate fully and it was just 3 weeks earlier....

We heard countless horror stories from locals and ExPats during our 2 week stay. We'd planned a 6 week trip but after just 10 days, we were ready to return to Mexico and then continue our planned travels to other parts of South America. We paid a fortune to the airline to change our flights and get out of there as it was obvious that Cuenca and Ecuador were not for us. I do not want to live in a place where I can't walk the streets day and night and feel reasonably safe, where I have to fear the thugs and give up the streets after dark, where I can't wear fake jewelry without fear of having it stripped off of me and where the local law enforcement is frightened to the point that they stand by while these people mug locals and tourists alike in broad daylight in the central plazas as well as turn a blind eye to violent home invasions.

We did meet a couple who originally lived in Ajijic and they absolutely love it there. I've talked with others via internet that do not have fears about violence and don't have any concerns about life in Cuenca and in Ecuador in general. I wish them all well. It simply is not for me.

Valerie :)

Archived