Chapala.com Webboard

Mexico's oil Production

Ajijic

I don't have a problem with this if that is what the country wants. I have a problem with the fact that Pemex squanders money and resources on corrupt management and labor and because of that is failing to develop resources. Do a little checking and you will be impressed with how much the revenues to the government from Pemex have fallen.

I found this informative as a summary of why Pemex is running out of oil and returning less and less revenue to the government.

http://knowledge.wha...?articleid=2222

And this. Note the reference to PetroBras which might be just the role model needed to get Pemex on track.

http://futurechallenges.org/local/mexicos-pemex-struggles-to-overcome-years-of-mismanagement/

BTW, thank you for getting the thread back on topic.

"The biggest basic issue for Pemex is that the federal government, from López Portillo onward, didn’t use the tools necessary to create a healthy corporation able to thrive for generations into the future. Rather, the state acted as a leach: the federal government, which collects very little tax revenue for a country of Mexico’s level of development, relies on Pemex for close to 40 percent of its operating budget. This amounts to nearly 60 percent of the company’s revenues being siphoned off every year."

This quote from the second article is probally what sticks in your craw as it should for any free wheeling go for it opportunist. Social democracies have no burden to sustain itself from taxes from their citizens at the expensive of overburdening them. Overburdening their natural resources is their modus operandi instead. Privitizing natural resources and energy ends in taxing them to death and that country´s citizens at the expense of the citizens who´s country they belong to solely to profit the opportunists that just happen to have enough money to own them privately. These owners then could care less if there is heavy taxes on their products. That is what an economy is based on NOB and you cannot see past what little it does thinking this way and forget living here taking advanage of Mexico´s tax and socialization policies and somehow feel it is wrong.

Nothing "sticks in my craw" other than the corruption and incompetence of Pemex which is depriving the country of needed resources and if allowed to continue, will end up having it import oil. You seem to support having them continue mainly to benefit a handful of corrupt managers and union workers at the expense of the people, as numerous references show very clearly is the case with Pemex and the declining revenues that have been going to said people. You must have missed where I, and quite a number of others, have suggested that PetroBras could be a model for reforming Pemex.

I sure don't favor any more Exxons. The over-consolidated and under competitive U.S. oil industry isn't benefitting that country either.

Try to keep your incorrect and offensive personal commentary to yourself and stick to the factual discussion here, thanks.

Nothing "sticks in my craw" other than the corruption and incompetence of Pemex which is depriving the country of needed resources and if allowed to continue, will end up having it import oil. You seem to support having them continue mainly to benefit a handful of corrupt managers and union workers at the expense of the people, as numerous references show very clearly is the case with Pemex and the declining revenues that have been going to said people. You must have missed where I, and quite a number of others, have suggested that PetroBras could be a model for reforming Pemex.

I sure don't favor any more Exxons. The over-consolidated and under competitive U.S. oil industry isn't benefitting that country either.

Try to keep your incorrect and offensive personal commentary to yourself and stick to the factual discussion here, thanks.

Yes, sorry about the comments that were not necessary or correct.

Privatization, this time open, above board and not cronyized.

A tall order here, I know.

Uh, Mainecoons...privately owned oil companies have given the US gasoline prices that are approaching double what we pay at the pump in Mexico, gigantic oil spills, political corruption, and have filled the pockets of their owners at the expense of millions of American consumers. For all its problems, I hope Mexico keeps the greedy Big Oil boys out. Clearly Mexico needs to re-direct some of the proceeds from Pemex to exploration, development, and modernization. Will it happen? Who knows, but I'm pretty sure of the ills that will occur if they ever let the Big Oil camel put its nose in the tent.

Did you miss these two posts above?

From #28:

You must have missed where I, and quite a number of others, have suggested that PetroBras could be a model for reforming Pemex.

And #30

The PetroBras model of partial privatization and general house cleaning makes the most sense to me. One of the strengths of the Mexican system is that it avoids those wild swings in prices NOB. However, it should be clear to all that reform is badly needed as revenues to government and production continue to fall. Pemex in its current configuration loses billions to mismanagement and featherbedding and cannot develop its resources.

Archived