Chapala.com Webboard

when going by car from mexico to texas, getting money back from aduanas

dpl

when i drove my car from Texas into Mexico 3 years ago, i had to get an aduanas sticker for the car and pay $400US or so as a bond. all my Mexico guidebooks say to make sure and surrender the sticker when i leave the Mexico in order to get my deposit back, and also in order to bring the car back into the country at a later date.

has anyone gone thru this procedure? did it work? did they get their money back?

thank you

dpl

when i drove my car from Texas into Mexico 3 years ago, i had to get an aduanas sticker for the car and pay $400US or so as a bond. all my Mexico guidebooks say to make sure and surrender the sticker when i leave the Mexico in order to get my deposit back, and also in order to bring the car back into the country at a later date.

has anyone gone thru this procedure? did it work? did they get their money back?

thank you

dpl

I thought the deposit started in June 2011. If you crossed 3 years ago, you didn't pay it.

I thought the deposit started in June 2011. If you crossed 3 years ago, you didn't pay it.

Exactly. There was no deposit 3 years ago only a fee of about $35.

I agree with econ man. It started in June 2011. When we visited in June, 2011, we paid it on a credit card (reduced to $300 in our case due to the age of the car). When we returned in October, 2011, we received a credit on the same credit card in about 7 days.

Maybe what the OP is remembering paying was for Mexican car insurance.

You need to notify aduana if you have an FM2 or FM3 to keep your bond from being forfeited. Do it properly, many have not done it or done it themselves and wrong or late and that has cost them $300 to $400US.

Lo barato sale caro

Thank you intercasa for your answer to my question. do you know how do to it 'properly'? what does that involve? i'd love not to forfeit the money. do i reply for the refund at the aduanas at the border when leaving the country, or at another aduanas, say at the guad airport. do you know what paperwork i need?

I have had my lawyer draw up papers each year since asking to renew the bond, but i am not sure if they are valid.

any comments by people who have had experience with getting their $300 or $400 bond back would be appreciated.

and thanks to all the people who told me that i was wrong when i wrote that i did not post a bond at the border. however, i entered at laredo on oct 27, 2009, on a valid FM-3 and paid a $300 or $400 bond via credit card. it showed up on my statement within 2 days.

any more help from people who have actually gone thru this would be appreciated.

thank you again, intercasa,

dpl

There are strict rules, you must submit the form and attachment timely (within 15 days of getting your new FM3) and in triplicate and it is best to personally drop them off at aduana to get your set stamped and then go back to get another paper a week later so you have the proof that you did so. Many people mail the forms in and the address is tricky and many, many have had them returned weeks later and blown their time limit.

My office does the forms and copies and 2 visits to aduana as well as for our customers will call and fight to get the bond refunded if you did everything properly (i.e. came to us promptly and not a month after getting your new FM3).

thank you, intercasa. my lawyer did this for me the first 2 times i renewed my fm-3, but this last time, he just presented me with a letter saying that he had asked for the paperwork to be done, along with the paperwork, and assured me that this would work. i kind of doubted it then.

guess i'll see what happens

Archived