Chapala.com Webboard

Colman's or Keen's Mustard Powder

HelperGuy

I thought someone wrote before that it was at the Graneria next to Gossips but my memory could be faulty. I thought I saw ground mustard before at Wal-Mart. You have to check all the racks where they have spices, not just the aisle of spices, and the Gringo section up by the fish counter.

In 16 years we have never found either Keene's or Coleman's in Mexico and have always purchased N.O.B. We've always bought our needs when travelling and it's a common request that we have when we expect visitors from N.O.B.The bulk product available locally is not anything close. It's simply ground generic mustard seed. Coleman's and Keene's are blends of the finest ground seeds which is definitely substantiated by the long history of both. If there is a possible source in GDL it would likely be a diverse food store/deli which I believe is called "The Cottage". It's located two blocks north of Manuel Acuna on Terranova on the east side of the street in the heart of Providencia. This store has long been known for an incredible variety of U.S. products not usually available here. It's also a great source of prepared foods as their extensive deli offers a very wide variety. (North on Lopez Mateos. Exit to your right when you see the Manuel Acuna sign. Keep parallel to Lopez Mateos but cross over the lights at Manuel Acuna as you cannot turn left at the lights. There's an immediate turn around that will cross you over Lopez Mateos and take you back to Manuel Acuna so that you can make a right turn on Manuel Acuna. Go west on Manuel Acuna to Terranova and turn right. About two blocks along on your right is the store I've indicated and again I believe the name is "The Cottage". As an aside: across the street one block further north, still on Terranova, is the best burger stand in GDL. (I think it opens at 2:00p.m. daily and it's always packed and cars constantly double park to pick up their phoned in orders. Further north onTerranova you'll find no end of great and unique eateries. (A few are open earlier but many are not open until the traditional GDL lunch hour - 2:00p.m.)

I've bought Coleman's at SL before. Maybe SL is out right now. When mixed with other ingredients I doubt most people can tell the difference between Coleman's and the generic.

I have bought it at SL also. If they don't have it in stock, ask Pancho. He will have it in a day or two.

On Saturday, I saw Coleman's Dry Mustard at the Wal-Mart where I occasionally shop in Mexico City. If they have it here, they might well carry it there.

I know this doesn't answer your question but though it might be of interest: A picture of a Colmans mustard field in Norfolk (where I spent 10 years in the UK)

http://img1.photographersdirect.com/img/13259/wm/pd393872.jpg

• English Mustard
    Mustard is a seasonal summer crop, grown for its potent seeds since Roman times. The fields and fenland around Norfolk are full of it because it’s here that English mustard really made a name for itself. In the early 19th Century, Jeremiah Colman took the idea of milling mustard and turned it into an industry. A former flour miller, he blended both brown and white mustard seed to create a distinctively strong and distinctively English mustard. By the 1880’s more than two thousand people were working at the Norwich factory, with another 4,000 earning their living directly through the company. Mustard is still big business in Norfolk, and this one factory produces every jar of a brand that is known all over the world.

• from http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01fkcdp

On Saturday, I saw Coleman's Dry Mustard at the Wal-Mart where I occasionally shop in Mexico City. If they have it here, they might well carry it there.

Finding it is the difficulty. I have checked every inch of every aisle and flat where even a complete $%&/() might put it... next time I go to WalMart I will bring the can and find a manager.

Pancho is usually pretty good at getting stuff, and I will ask him too... although if you might have noticed the $150 peso jars of imported Lite Kraft Mayonnaise on his shelves? That's the result of me asking him to get the Mexican-labelled Kraft mayo, which come and go at stores like WalMart and Soriana. I shudder to think what might turn up if I ask for dry mustard powder.

In the gringo section near the seafood. In Walmart as you go west from where the toilet paper is, it on the western side of the last regular size shelving. Right about in the middle.

In the gringo section near the seafood. In Walmart as you go west from where the toilet paper is, it on the western side of the last regular size shelving. Right about in the middle.

Yep, I see it there every week on my weekly trip to Walmart....and it was there again tonite. Yellow (mustard) colored container in the middle of the aisle like cedros said.

And there they were, tiny, tiny tins of mustard, less than 1/2 the size I would normally look for. A travel tin, you might say, if you were interested in travelling with powdered mustard. And at the amazingly low price of $117 pesos, I will wait for the seed shop to instead get some more unbranded. Thanks, though, for those who found it and reported here.

name='HelperGuy' timestamp='1344608398' post='295618']

$3.59 seems pretty pricey, too. Online I quickly found four 4oz. tins for $6... to $87!: http://www.nextag.co...owder/shop-html. Wishful thinking.

You must be the champion mustard user around here, in comparison to me anyway.

Oh, I know what you're gonna say...."some people just can't cut the mustard" ^_^

And there they were, tiny, tiny tins of mustard, less than 1/2 the size I would normally look for. A travel tin, you might say, if you were interested in travelling with powdered mustard. And at the amazingly low price of $117 pesos, I will wait for the seed shop to instead get some more unbranded. Thanks, though, for those who found it and reported here.

I was just in Walmart today and saw the mustard for 60 pesos for a 57 gram tin. You must be looking in the wrong place.

I just came from Walmart and again I checked the price and it's $117.00MN for a 57 gm. tin. It in the last food shelving unit in the extreme left hand corner at the back of the store to the left of the fish counter. It's on the shelving that contains a lot of imported NOB products.

I picked up a little bit of mustard powder at the grain shop across from Clinica Ajijic; I haven't cooked with it yet. It is not a bright yellow by any means, nor does it smell or taste like Keen's. There is a bit of heat in the throat after tasting the powder.

Now I am told that Keen's has been seen at SuperLake this week at $139 for the 4 oz. tin.

Archived