Chapala.com Webboard

Tortillas de Harina (Flour)

Bisbee Gal

While corn tortillas are the 'norm' here, we prefer flour tortillas for homemade wraps, quesadillas, fajitas, etc.

I've bought every brand of flour tortillas I've seen, but never found any as good as the Sonoran tortillas de harina we are used to (our other home is just a few miles north of Sonora). Theirs are bit more flaky and delicate than the ones we've encountered in Central Mexico.

Today we tried a brand we hadn't seen before: Ram-Glez which is based in Mezcala. They are exactly what we've been looking for!

We bought them at a tienda at the corner of Donato Guera and Constitucion in Ajijic.

FYI: The ingredients list includes "Manteca Vegetal" which I guess means there is no animal fat/lard in them. Doesn't matter to me but others might want to know that.

• 1 month later...

Speaking of the new tortilla shop in Ajijic - she has plain, tomato, nopal, chipotle, whole wheat and beet (they don't have that earthy beet taste, they're very good). We find them a good thickness and she's been waiting for the machine from Monterrey to do the larger size (25 or 27 cm) automatically, making them just a tad thinner and even better. They're flaky and good. She's planning to make blue corn tortillas as well. She'll be selling as of next week at the Tuesday Farmer's market. And no, we're not related but do use a lot of them for wraps.

We find the ones from Mezcal good but a bit too thick.

Never buy the packaged ones from the bigger stores which are full of preservatives and other junk and taste awful.

• 3 years later...

Does anyone know what happened to this shop? My wife and I enjoyed burritos and delicious guisados from this place when we lived here before. Sometime in the last year and a half it has either moved or closed for good. Thanks for any information you may have!

Does anyone know what happened to this shop? My wife and I enjoyed burritos and delicious guisados from this place ….

Hi Kevin K, if you mean the one that used to be across from OXXO/Prisa Paints, it's been gone for about 8 months or so. Sad it's no longer here.

Welcome back.

My understanding from the locals is the lady was offered a great opportunity in Monterrey so they closed up and moved. Definitely OUR loss. It was a great place for fresh flour tortillas.

Valerie

The OP is a little confusing to me. Aren't all tortillas made of flour. Some of made of wheat flour and others are made of corn flour=masa harina. So in the original post couldn't flour tortillas be either?

For example from Rolly's Mexico masa harina = packaged dried masa

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masa

http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/what-is-masa-harina.htm

I suppose common usage depends where you are. My first 13 years were spent on the coast in Nayarit where tortillas were corn (maize)or wheat (trigo).

The ingredients list includes "Manteca Vegetal" which I guess means there is no animal fat/lard in them.

Isn't manteca vegetal simply hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated vegetable oil? And aren't these all trans fats, which are now generally regarded as unhealthy to consume?

What happened to real manteca de cerdo (lard)? Does anyone make flour (wheat) tortillas using real lard? If so, where are they located?

Thanks,

-- Don

Traditional tortillas do not contain lard, butter or oil. The best tortillas are located in your own kitchen. If you wonder how they make flaky flour tortillas you shape the dough so it looks like a very long pencil, brush with melted lard or butter, then begin a spiral, rounding until it becomes a patty shape again. Roll down to the thickness you want and cook them on the comal. This is what South Asians call paratha, and there are many sites on the internet with this and alternative techniques (here is one, not very heart healthy though http://www.ecurry.com/blog/breads-buns-rolls/lachha-paratha-layered-griddle-cooked-flatbread/) The best flour tortillas I have made were homemade sourdough. The best corn tortillas were homemade masa, using sweet Dent corn (the bright yellow corn often used in premium tostadas).

Archived