Chapala.com Webboard

Good cheese slices

HelperGuy

Grew up on Kraft slices, the thicker ones... then everyone got into the act and seemed to be making "processed cheese food" slices, but from petroleum oil... and those slices will melt on the countertop. I've been tempted (since I'm in a grilled cheese frame of mind) to pick up one of those large packs they sell at CostCo.

There's "Kirkland American Cheese Slices", and "California Select Farms Sliced American Cheese", as well as Kraft... I haven't really been paying attention, but is one of these "real" sliced cheddar instead of processed? I see SuperLake carrying a large pack of sliced cheddar, as well; don't know if that's been pulled from a CostCo package or not.

Do you like the crisp, crunchy brown melted cheese that oozes out onto your griddle or skillet? I do, I like it even better than the oozy melted cheese inside the sandwich.

For years I've been making grilled cheese sandwiches by literally grilling the CHEESE, not the bread: put a thick slice of your favorite sandwich cheese directly in an oiled non-stick skillet. Let the first side of the cheese get brown and crunchy, then flip it over with a wide spatula and let the other side brown. Ease the whole gooey thing onto a slice of toasted or grilled bread (with or w/o mayo), add a slice of tomato (or not), a sprinkle of salt, and top with a second slice of bread. Mmm...

Do you like the crisp, crunchy brown melted cheese that oozes out onto your griddle or skillet? I do, I like it even better than the oozy melted cheese inside the sandwich.]

Oh, my. Slightly burnt cheese is the best thing on earth. It never occured to me I could do this on purpose....and with such intention.

I think I'll pass on the mayo though. :o

I can imagine a mess in the skillet.....how thick a slice is necessary to keep it managed.....1/4 inch or so? More? Gracias!

Travis--yeah, about 1/4". Or more. LOL... And I like to butter and grill one side of each piece of bread.

Gives a whole new meaning to grilled cheese.

With great shame, , I admit that I dearly love a grilled cheese sandwich made with those bright Halloween orange slices of Kraft American and plain old unhealthy white bread.

But I stopped eating them some years ago when I discovered that Riley the Gringo Dog wouldn't touch the Kraft slices. The dog loves cheese - sharp cheddar, brie (especially the rind), parmesian regianno, and even blue cheese. But Kraft American slices.?!!? Left the bits on the floor.

Made me seriously worry about that stuff...

The best grilled cheese is done in the waffle iron. This is how my mother use to make them, the weight of the iron squeezes the cheese out of the sandwich and you get these waffle shaped bits of chrisp cheese. Delicious.

Archived