Chapala.com Webboard

Pirated DVDS on sale in the lakeside area

Taaffe

$20 - $35 pesos pirated vs. $250 to $350 pesos legit.

I don't know where you are paying those extremely high prices for DVDs over there. I have never bought a pirated DVD. I did buy a legal, legitimate set of 6 DVDs about a year ago for less than the highest price you quoted.

By shopping around, I have found the best prices for legal, legitimate DVDs are usually found at the Sanborns department stores. We have three of them here in Cuernavaca, they usually have at least some DVDs at clearance prices. They are not first run movies usually, but if I haven't seen it before, they are new to me. Also, if I haven't seen a movie in a few tears, it is almost a new movie for me.

I have several dozen DVDs, so when I get tired of Spanish TV, it is never a problem. I did buy a multi region DVD player a few years ago at Costco for only the Peso equivalent of $62 US Bucks, I don't need to do anything special to use it. Just insert a DVD, and it plays any DVD formatted for any region. If you buy a DVD formatted for a different region, you must be sure that English or another language you understand is on the disc. I made the mistake of not doing that a few years ago. When I played the disc, I found that the only audible languages and subtitles were Spanish or German. I watched it in Spanish, but it would have been more enjoyable in my native language, English.

I also bought the Any DVD program for my computers, so anytime there is Mexican company in the house, I can watch a movie in English on one of my laptops, I use earbuds, so the noise in English doesn’t bother any of them. I also like to carry a few of my DVDs with me when on a trip, as many really nice, and inexpensive Mexican hotels do not have a TV in every room.

I seldom ever go to a movie theater, and I have never gone to one in Cuernavaca, since we moved here from México City, 12 years ago.

I usually only pay about the Peso equivalent of $5 to $7 US Bucks for a legal movie that I have not seen before.

My late Mexicana wife did buy a few pirated DVDs without knowing they were illegal. The quality was the pits, and some of them would not play. Her mother bought 6 or 8 Pirated cartoons to give to her great nieces as gifts for just a few Cents each, on one of their visits to their hometown of México City. I tested them for her, half of them would not play.

It is usually easy to spot a pirated DVD. Every one of them that I have seen,usually has very good packaging, including a printed warning about not copying, or using an illegal disc. They never have the hard plastic “jewel case” that all DVDs and music CD’s are packaged in though. If it is just in a flexible, but fancy, plastic envelope, it is a phoney.

If it sounds like I might have a personal interest in this problem, I do. Mt late wife was a professional musician and singer. I had a clause put in her contracts, that if a person was observed recording any of her songs, the performance would end, with full pay for the evening, unless the offending person was ejected, or surrendered his recording equipment permanently. She had a spotter (me) watching for them. The thefts are not always from a faceless corporation, but often from a hard working individual.

If I see a pirated DVD or CD in anyone's house, I know they are thieves, and not to be trusted.

Rex

.....and then there are also all those websites on the net where you can watch just about any movie for free

Not in México. The free sites will not work out of The US. Even when I use a program to hide my ISP, they always know where I am at, and will not show the film down here.

The only service I have found that will show movies down here is NetFlix, it is not free. I pay $19 US Dollars per month for it. They always have a good variety of films available. Caution; you must have what passes for a high speed Internet connection here, plus a very new, and fast computer for NetFlix to work. I have a high speed cable Internet service, plus my 8 year old laptop with a 1 ½ GHZ processor, and 2 GB of RAM is not fast enough. My newest laptop with a dual core 2 GHZ processor and 4 GB of RAM works OK.

When a movie first starts, it ”downloads” to your computer. With my newest computer, that usually takes only a few seconds. With my old laptop it took several minutes. With my older laptop, it often stopped in the middle of the film to download some more, after 15 or 20 minutes, I usually gave up. It seldom ever reloads again with my newest computer, when it does, it usually only takes a few seconds.

I like to watch movies in English sometimes, I use Earbuds so as not to disturb the Mexican members of my family.

This is México, and it is necessary to make many adjustments.

Rex

Papirex

We refused to buy pirated movies. MixUp has a lot of good movies for very reasonable prices. Not new releases but hey, it work for us. Also Blockbuster has previously view movies for a fraction of the price. If you don't want to keep it, next time bring it back to the store and they will give you a credit to buy another one. Also the theaters in the lake area are so reasonable that it pays to go and have a good time. We saw Spiderman in 3D. Awesome. If one is willing to compromised our values

for a 20 pesos movie, we are also willing to compromised other more important things.

You can throw up your hands and decide you can't make a contribution or you can take personal responsibility for your little bit of the universe and do whatever you can to not support the narcos. Not buying dope or pirated DVDs is an example of that.

Exactly. It's the norn any more to just point to other bad behavior to justify bad behavior.

The people selling for narcos as in drugs, pirated cd's/dvd's, etc/ know well they are working for narcos. I buy from people sometimes at the stoplights here, but not those selling these for narcos.

The flip side is that the narcos are into far more than most (especially those from other p[laces) realize. I hear people saying in the us f they legalized drugs (MJ in particular) it would go away. Not a chance, too much to be made to go to 5.00 a day jobs even if mj were legal. Far too much.

If I see a pirated DVD or CD in anyone's house, I know they are thieves, and not to be trusted.

Rex

Then I guess there are about 100 million Mexican thieves running around who are'nt to be trusted.

Then I guess there are about 100 million Mexican thieves running around who are'nt to be trusted.

The "everybody's doing it" rationale. A classic. There are even more who jaywalk and more than that who run stop signs. Let's remove all the ALTO signs, since no one pays attention to them anyway. Papirex may have over-stated the slightly, but he's basically correct.

taaffe, the cartels gave $38,000,000 to US banks after the crash in 2008. they are in bed w/everyone, there is no war on drugs. any time you go into any bank anywhere in the world, you are part of this. put your $ where your mouth is. also what are you doing living in mexico? this is no place to be self righteous, its hypocritical. i love the 30 pesos dvd's, quality is good- depends where you buy them. dont worry about hollywood, they are doing just fine. im sure they spread this rumor, as its not completely true. not everyone who makes dvd's is involved w/drugs & trafficking. same rumor about the fake handbags & watches. anyway, you would think hollywood would lower their dvd prices, as they are way more than a disk should cost.

Ignorant comment claiming all of us deal wiith pirated dvd's, If that were true, there would be no dvd sales here. Downright racist in my opinion.

The fact of the matter is that most mexican's that cannot afford to buy dvd's cannot afford a dvd player. The VAST majority where we live wash clothes by hand, a dvd player is even more of a luxury. Movies are usually a trip to the cine when possible at all.

Here in Mexico the majority of the illegal dvd and cd sales are tied to the narco's Manny, it's fact.

cbviagero: one hundred million mexican thieves & me. toltepeceno: maybe thats true in mexico (narco related). but not everywhere. people have been selling cds music & films for years. someone asked why hollywood shows movies in empty theaters? a tax write off. maybe the dvd loss is a write off as well. they make their $$$, i dont think its an issue. also hollywood lets youtube show films for free, one or two years after they are released. they block the newer films. cbviagero was being sarcastic, look @ the original source of that comment. it came from parirex.

Ignorant comment claiming all of us deal wiith pirated dvd's, If that were true, there would be no dvd sales here. Downright racist in my opinion.

The fact of the matter is that most mexican's that cannot afford to buy dvd's cannot afford a dvd player. The VAST majority where we live wash clothes by hand, a dvd player is even more of a luxury. Movies are usually a trip to the cine when possible at all.

Here in Mexico the majority of the illegal dvd and cd sales are tied to the narco's Manny, it's fact.

Baloney!!

Go to any tianguies in Mexico,open your eyes, por favor.

A dvd player costs 300 pesos about the price of two "legal dvd movies"!

Baloney!!

When the minimum wage in Mexico is much less than 5 dollars a day choices are limited. Either you buy food or buy pirated dvd's. We are not talking about workers in the lake area. Workers here are not the norm in Mexico. They usually get paid much more more than the general population in Mexico. My maid cannot afford to buy a DVD player much less pirated dvd. For her it is either pay the rent and feed her family. My maid (widow) and her children could afford to eat meat when I buy it, which is often. She had other houses to clean but all of them are gone (foreigners). I am the only one she is working for and I don't have the heart to have my fridge full of goodies when she can barely feed her family. She is renting a house (shack)in wealthy Ajijic for 800 pesos a month without doors and dirt floors. So cdviajero, stop the #$@*$& and look at reality.

When the minimum wage in Mexico is much less than 5 dollars a day choices are limited. Either you buy food or buy pirated dvd's. We are not talking about workers in the lake area. Workers here are not the norm in Mexico. They usually get paid much more more than the general population in Mexico. My maid cannot afford to buy a DVD player much less pirated dvd. For her it is either pay the rent and feed her family. My maid (widow) and her children could afford to eat meat when I buy it, which is often. She had other houses to clean but all of them are gone (foreigners). I am the only one she is working for and I don't have the heart to have my fridge full of goodies when she can barely feed her family. She is renting a house (shack)in wealthy Ajijic for 800 pesos a month without doors and dirt floors. So cdviajero, stop the #$@*$& and look at reality.

The reality is that almost every Mexican home i have been in whether it was in the very humble ranchito in Guanajuato where my wife comes from or in working class homes in Guadalajara where I live has a dvd player and plenty of 20 peso dvds,that's a fact.So carib try researching the issue a little more next time before you make such ill informed posts.

Baloney!!

Look Racist, besides being born in mexico I am retired and have spent over half of my life here. Not in privileged gringo areas but with average mexican people. Lakeside area does not REMOTELY represent average mexican's, those making close to 7000 pesos a month are in the upper 90%. Wake up and learn about the country you line in and do not even pretend to have a clue living in a gringo area.

300 pesos? Cose to 50% of the people living here make 1200 a month rural and 2100 pesos a month urban. Again, things like dvd players, computers, washing machines, etc. are luxuries by far most do not have.

I know a lot of people in our area and I do not know of anyone other than me that has a dvd player. We are one of the few that has a washer, we do not have a dryer.

You know of mexican's that live in an area like you do, you know nothing of the majority.

I saw a thread where people there were helping a young lady that was washing clothes by hand and (I think) had a dirt floor. I think it is great people helped her, but that tells me something about the people living there. Most mexican's wash clothes by hand, many have dirt floors and/or no windows and by the governments own figures several hundred thousand here in Mexico state do not have electricity. The government's figures are GREATLY conservative. I guess you think these people buy battery powered dvd players?

Baloney to you racist for not learning about the country you live in and even remotely believing where you live represents the majority of mexican's. More likely in the upper 10% (probably fairly high up). Do you live there on less than 7000 pesos a month?

It makes me wonder if people living in beverly hills ca think everyone in the us lives like they do. It's not a far fetched comparison. Most mexican's, have about as much chance living as the tourists lakeside do as most in the us have living in beverly hills.

Again, MOST mexican's are not thieves and do not support the narcos. You have been watching too many old us westerns.

Congratulations, I know not everyone is clueless. This person is clueless, you are wasting your breath.

The reality is that almost every Mexican home i have been in whether it was in the very humble ranchito in Guanajuato where my wife comes from or in working class homes in Guadalajara where I live has a dvd player and plenty of 20 peso dvds,that's a fact.So carib try researching the issue a little more next time before you make such ill informed posts.

Then they have an income above that of most mexican's. That does not surprise me.

How long have you lived in mexico? How did you become such an expert? Try living on 5.00 a day and get back to me. Reality? That's a laugh.

Toltepequeño

Take a survey in your colonia to see what percentage of homes have dvd players and get back to me.

Who's clueless now?

PS: try reading my posts more carefully in future,

I know a lot of the people here, have lived here many years. I have NEVER lived in gringo, well to do areas. I know more about this country and the people than you will ever know. Do not act like you know about any other part of mexico than a well to do area.

I read your posts, claiming 100,000,000 mexican's are thieves is racist. I think you were alanmexicali, or whatever the name was before.

Adios anyway racist, if I were white calling all mexican's thieves they would not be deleting posts of mine as they are.

Please delete my account chapala forum.

I know a lot of the people here, have lived here many years. I have NEVER lived in gringo, well to do areas. I know more about this country and the people than you will ever know. Do not act like you know about any other part of mexico than a well to do area.

I read your posts, claiming 100,000,000 mexican's are thieves is racist. I think you were alanmexicali, or whatever the name was before.

Adios anyway racist, if I were white calling all mexican's thieves they would not be deleting posts of mine as they are.

Please delete my account chapala forum.

You really can't read can you?

I speak fluent spanish,my wife is Mexican,my son is Mexican. We live in a nice middle class neighborhood in Guadalajara where I'm the only gringo.

Your posts have really been off the mark today,

Archived