Chapala.com Webboard

Seguro Popular can't renew or enroll foreigners

Will be interesting if you have to be a citizen, that would create problems as Mexicans under age 18 cannot be considered citizens until they reach agw 18, they have Mexican nationality however. If they say you need to be a citizen then ask how they cover people born in Mexico who by their own constitution do not become citizens until after they reach age 18. Can't wait to see the letter they give you

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Will be interesting if you have to be a citizen, that would create problems as Mexicans under age 18 cannot be considered citizens until they reach agw 18, they have Mexican nationality however. If they say you need to be a citizen then ask how they cover people born in Mexico who by their own constitution do not become citizens until after they reach age 18. Can't wait to see the letter they give you

Yep...we are curious, too and as we discussed to get something inwriting, we will let you know as soon as we get it...if we get it!

Links to the latest changes (if any) with SP:

http://seguro-popular.gob.mx/images/contenidos/DOF_Decreto_20110608.pdf

http://www.seguro-popular.gob.mx/images/contenidos/Normateca/compilacion_juridica_2009/fscommand/21.pdf

I couldn't find anything about the word "resident" qualification being changed but I use Google translate.

I think this whole episode is a misunderstanding about what a word means. I don't understand why not get it fixed right away by calling the head office, then they call the locals, and it's fixed.

File a formal complaint through the 800#. When my wife did so in time they tracked us down and showed up at the door, matter resolved. This would be much better as the Mexico City office carries a lot of weight and has no personal connection to local people or regional supervisors.

File a formal complaint through the 800#. When my wife did so in time they tracked us down and showed up at the door, matter resolved. This would be much better as the Mexico City office carries a lot of weight and has no personal connection to local people or regional supervisors.

Thank you Ajijic for your post and suggestion. Should this not be resolved in the next week, we will do so.

On Monday July 2nd, we went to the Chapala office with Spencer's staff to see if we could enroll, however, we were not able to do so. The reason given was Seguro Popular had our current policy locked in their system pending reply from Guadalajara. Today, my husband went to the Joco office to pick up the letter we were promised as to why we could not pay our 3 month premium. The guy in the office advised according to the Guadalajara office because our policy was issued for 3 years (payable every 3 months) we COULD pay our quarterly premiums until the end of the 3 years. At that time, they will not renew. He also stated foreigners wanting to obtain a new Seguro Popular policy will not be able to do so. Also, Luis from Spencer's office was able to enroll 2 ladies that had accompanied us on Monday, but was told they will NOT enroll any foreigners from that point forward. We have called Spencer's office to advise what occurred today and await Spencer's call back on Monday.

Also, Luis from Spencer's office was able to enroll 2 ladies that had accompanied us on Monday, but was told they will...enroll any foreigners from that point forward. We have called Spencer's office to advise what occurred today and await Spencer's call back on Monday.

Something is missing here. Should there be a NOT between 'will' and 'enroll'? I've highlighted those two words in red so you can easily see what I mean.

Why not have Spencer or someone who speaks Spanish call the 800# and ask????????? :017:

All residents which includes FM2 and 3 are to be covered. If something has changed get the facts from their main office vs asking each other. geesh!!!!

It is a 5 minute call on an 800#.

Why not have Spencer or someone who speaks Spanish call the 800# and ask????????? :017:

All residents which includes FM2 and 3 are to be covered. If something has changed get the facts from their main office vs asking each other. geesh!!!!

It is a 5 minute call on an 800#.

Spencer has been involved with the issue since it occurred and speaking with SP. I am sure he will let us know what he discovers has changed or if they are mistaken in not accepting foreigners. if anyone else would like to call, please do.

If illegals from the Southern border are allowed to enroll in SP because they are residents of Mexico, I do not understand how the law can be different for foreigners who are legal residents. Perhaps the people at the 800# can clear this up. I'm fairly sure the person in the La Barca office is not the boss of the person in Joco and is another employee equal to the Joco person. I also wonder if the person in Guadalajara is in management. Even if that person is, it doesn't mean that he/she cannot be wrong.

It could be quickly cleared up if someone would call the 800# to verify or it could drag on for months until someone decides to call and get the correct information.

If illegals from the Southern border are allowed to enroll in SP because they are residents of Mexico, I do not understand how the law can be different for foreigners who are legal residents. Perhaps the people at the 800# can clear this up. I'm fairly sure the person in the La Barca office is not the boss of the person in Joco and is another employee equal to the Joco person. I also wonder if the person in Guadalajara is in management. Even if that person is, it doesn't mean that he/she cannot be wrong.

It could be quickly cleared up if someone would call the 800# to verify or it could drag on for months until someone decides to call and get the correct information.

Actually no based on my understanding. Remember the new immigration law that was passed awhile back - where FM3/FM2's were going to be consolidated? Well that law is in place - but implementation and definition is not. My understanding is that they are waiting for this to happen which is why I (one of the last 2 that went thru in Chapala) was asked to return at the end of the year for renewal or whatever.

So yes - it probably will drag on for a few more months - but not because someone is not calling the 800 number.

This is what Spencer to referred to in an earlier post that all persons within Mexico are treated equally. It doesn't state "legal or illegal" residents or that it only applies to citizens. It protects "all persons."

http://wphr.org/blog...seguro-popular/

Article 4 of the Mexican Constitution stipulates that all persons have a right to the protection of their health, for which laws will provide the ways in which the federation and the states will concur to provide health services (2009). Furthermore, this article (as part of the Mexican Constitution’s Bill of Rights) establishes the right that every person has to an environment for his or her development and wellbeing, which further alludes to the human rights perspective. This shows how Mexico’s most important legal document, the Constitution, from which all other laws and treaties must derive, and under which the entire State is organized, recognizes the right to health, or at least, the right to the protection of health and the State’s obligation to provide the means by which it should be realized.

Original in Article 4:

Toda persona tiene derecho a la protección de la salud. La Ley definirá las bases y modalidades para el acceso a los servicios de salud y establecerá la concurrencia de la Federación y las entidades federativas en materia de salubridad general, conforme a lo que dispone la fracción XVI del artículo 73 de esta Constitución.

http://www.seguropopular.org/

The popular insurance requirements that must be met to be part of the popular insurance are:

Reside in the country.

Not being a person entitled to any institution that provides social security such as IMSS ISSSTE or others.

Cover the family fee where applicable.

I am puzzled as to all the people saying "Someone should call". Someone should do it themselves. If you can operate a keyboard, you can operate a phone.

We have the lawyers calling now. Most likely Jorge in Fred's corner and Spencer in the other. We should have a pool on who is the most bad a## attorney and who will get the answer the fastest.

I think the problem with calling is language. Whoever calls needs to speak Spanish.

I am puzzled as to all the people saying "Someone should call". Someone should do it themselves. If you can operate a keyboard, you can operate a phone.

Well stated Jaykay. Spencer has been working on this issue as I indicated since this issue arose and has been in touch with Seguro Popular. If others, would like to call, they can do so. We have our issue resolved as they will continue our coverage for the 3 years and now accept our payment.

Lawyers working on it? Geesh ...again I say a 5 minute call. What are these lawyers doing? lol If one called what were they told about the exclusion or inclusion of residents with the required documents?

In SMA it is not an issue this week as those who meet the qualifications are accepted so I have no reason to call.

Well stated Jaykay. Spencer has been working on this issue as I indicated since this issue arose and has been in touch with Seguro Popular. If others, would like to call, they can do so. We have our issue resolved as they will continue our coverage for the 3 years and now accept our payment.

I guess Jorge will win. I think Jorge doesn't need to work on it for a few weeks. He can make one call, get an answer and get it over with. This is not a complicated issue.

I personally went to the Guadalajara office of SP today and spoke with the head there and will need to call Mexico City on Monday as in my opinion they are misconstruing the law and if Mexico City says ok then Guadalajara will process foreigners. I went personally today and asked them to show me the law. Their stance is a part of the law that says all Mexicans have the right to SP that doesnt exclude foreigners to me but does to them even though later on in the law the first requirement to qualify for service is to be a resident

I personally went to the Guadalajara office of SP today and spoke with the head there and will need to call Mexico City on Monday as in my opinion they are misconstruing the law and if Mexico City says ok then Guadalajara will process foreigners. I went personally today and asked them to show me the law. Their stance is a part of the law that says all Mexicans have the right to SP that doesnt exclude foreigners to me but does to them even though later on in the law the first requirement to qualify for service is to be a resident

Thank you Spencer. We look forward to the response from Mexico City when you discuss this issue with them.

Ajijic...When you lived here....you couldn't get anything done...but now from your castle in another state...telling us how to do it......."Geesh..." as you would say!

Fred

Freddie or Barbara what the heck are you talking about? You have never met me. You would not know me in a room of people. And while there for a year I got lots done including numerous hours every week at Love in Action and rescuing animals. Back to your old ways making it personal. Less than mature I would say.

Here in SMA numerous accomplishments by me and my wife some of which are are initiating petitions, to meeting with mayor three times on different issues, to rescuing and fostering animals, to getting additional bus service for a poor village and their road improved, to raising funds for the grandmothers and feeding them every week for 2 years, extensive participation at 2 girl orphanages. mmm

Now back to SP. As others who have have emailed me and stated the answer for SP is easy to get. The local offices appear to be the problem. So, even one person or even a very few, and especially expats, going to the local office can be frustrating and challenging and those in the office can work against you in the future. They think of expats and be wealthy and having a sense of entitlement. If, the main office says the local office/s are wrong then they will resolve it. If they say that is the new policy then take your battle elsewhere.

With SP, if one has a problem and files a complaint the local office will be made to come up with answers and literally come to your house to discuss. Clearly their web site states it is for residents. My wife has facilitated at least 100 people in the last year and before she started every expat who applied in SMA was denied as they were told only citizens. Even I was denied. Of those who joined some even owned homes and not one was asked to pay a fee and not one of her clients was denied. It does not mean it was easy and she quickly discovered "honey" and respect along with knowing in advance all the rules in-depth were the key in working with the staff.

It is good that Spencer met locally and following up with staff in Mexico City. I am sure answers will come soon.

Thank you Spencer. We look forward to the response from Mexico City when you discuss this issue with them.

So if you called the 800# from the git go as everyone suggested, you would have the correct answer by now?

Archived