Chapala.com Webboard

Seguro Popular can't renew or enroll foreigners

My husband went to pay our three month premium today at the Jocotepec office of Seguro Popular and was advised orders came down to not renew or enroll foreigners unless they were in the process of becoming a Mexican citizen. Anyone else heard about this change? When we enrolled three months ago, we were required to pay $500 pesos every three months for coverage.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had a client taken last week and signed up no problem in Chapala, ask what new law they are citing as they aren´t allowed to discriminate.

My husband went to pay our three month premium today at the Jocotepec office of Seguro Popular and was advised orders came down to not renew or enroll foreigners unless they were in the process of becoming a Mexican citizen. Anyone else heard about this change? When we enrolled three months ago, we were required to pay $500 pesos every three months for coverage.

How strange! So far, it has cost me nothing.

Sounds like they are "trying to milk the cow" for more money !

$500 pesos every 3 months each? It might be you are talking about the IMSS not the Centro de Salud also called Seguro Popular all part of the Secretaria de Salud en Jocotepec.

Imss Clinica N0 58

I think the man who signed them up, signed them up individually not as a family. The husband is retired and over 60. She is younger. The payment has to be for her membership because she is not 60. If they were signed up as a family, then it would be based on his age and as a pensioner, there wouldn't be a charge, so obviously they were signed up individually.

The man in Joco can be a jerk and he doesn't want foreigners. At one time he insisted that foreigners bring a letter from IMSS stating that they were not members of IMSS in order to join SP. I think he also told foreigners that there was a limit on how many could join and the limit had been reached. Eventually SP told him he wasn't following the rules and to knock it off. It looks like he has a new game to play.

I think the man who signed them up, signed them up individually not as a family. The husband is retired and over 60. She is younger. The payment has to be for her membership because she is not 60. If they were signed up as a family, then it would be based on his age and as a pensioner, there wouldn't be a charge, so obviously they were signed up individually.

The man in Joco can be a jerk and he doesn't want foreigners. At one time he insisted that foreigners bring a letter from IMSS stating that they were not members of IMSS in order to join SP. I think he also told foreigners that there was a limit on how many could join and the limit had been reached. Eventually SP told him he wasn't following the rules and to knock it off. It looks like he has a new game to play.

Not so (I know this for a fact).... age has nothing to do with the payment.

We went back and spoke to the guy at Seguro Popular and he advised we needed to call the main office as the orders to no longer enroll or renew foreigners came from them. When we enrolled three months ago we were to,d by the Joco rep and the 800 number folks that the "computer" calculates the rate based on our response to questions. Unfortunately, we can't see how he input the data to know what he actually entered. We don't own a home, have one vehicle and only one retirement income for two people. Makes no sense!!

We are on one policy. Today we were going to review what answers he put for us at enrollment to see where he put the wrong info. But he said could not renew.

It is a violation of the constitution and someone needs to talk to them if they persist, either they have no basis for treating foreigners differently or are doing so due to a rule or law and if that is the case the rule or law needs to be investigated. The Mexican Constitution guarantees all the right to healthcare as well as all are entitled to human rights (new name for indivudual guarantees) and benefits of international treaties, Constitution is supreme law of the land and it is above and rules over any seemingly contradictory laws or regulations, especially those in international treaties which the constitution specifically mentions.

I also signed up over a year ago and did not have to pay anything. You pay when you use it.

a myth .. no you don't. Anyone having an issue go to their web site and call the 800#. They are very helpful.

Anyone who is a resident with the documents as per their web site is to be accepted. And, if you do not have your birth certificate they are to accept your CURP card as it shows your birth date. Every week my wife facilitates expats to join SP. She has never had one declined although she had to know the rules inside and out as they often tried to decline expats. She has made several calls to the 800# and once even filed a formal complaint. The local Seguro Popular office as a follow up to the complaint came out to our house to meet and discuss the issue.

how does this SP (not imss) work? has anyone actually used it? & for what exactly? doesnt matter what the constitution says, they can do what they want. & do it to foreigners or whoever. the govt is cheesy, what can you expect? so far i have never met an expat who has used any govt insurance.

We went back and spoke to the guy at Seguro Popular and he advised we needed to call the main office as the orders to no longer enroll or renew foreigners came from them. When we enrolled three months ago we were to,d by the Joco rep and the 800 number folks that the "computer" calculates the rate based on our response to questions. Unfortunately, we can't see how he input the data to know what he actually entered. We don't own a home, have one vehicle and only one retirement income for two people. Makes no sense!!

Ajijic has answered this for you several times. Membership is not based upon what you own or where you live. Those questions are asked as part of a census and not for membership in SP.

Ajijic has also said that a pensioner is not charged and his family members are not charged if they are signed up as a family. That's why only the pensioner needs to apply for the family and family members are not asked any questions. I think that means that you had to be signed up as individuals if you both presented information when you signed up and that is why you are being charged. Why not have Ajijic's wife intervene, as he has offered several times, since she understands SP?

The Mexican Constitution guarantees all the right to healthcare as well as all are entitled to human rights (new name for indivudual guarantees) and benefits of international treaties, Constitution is supreme law of the land and it is above and rules over any seemingly contradictory laws or regulations,

True, and exactly why SP could not have changed its laws and rules to exclude foreigners. SP allows illegal aliens from Central America to join SP so how can it not allow foreigners from the U.S. and Canada who are legal residents to join SP?

how does this SP (not imss) work? has anyone actually used it? & for what exactly? doesnt matter what the constitution says, they can do what they want. & do it to foreigners or whoever. the govt is cheesy, what can you expect? so far i have never met an expat who has used any govt insurance.

IMSS is government insurance. Surely you have met people who have used IMSS. There are people here who have used SP and who have been very pleased with it. SP uses doctors who are in private practice like IMSS does. I've asked Mexicans who have used both which is better and the Mexicans all said SP is better.

IMSS is in trouble due to corruption. Eventually IMSS will be rolled into SP because IMSS is not sustainable the way it is. As I understand it the problem is doctors claiming pensions which they are not entitled but records were not kept correctly and IMSS is out too much money in pensions. The problem with IMSS is not due to people asking for medical services but too many services does raise a red flag.

No matter what the Constitution may say, if some little bureaucrat decides not to allow foreigners in, for the moment, until he can be controlled, that's exactly the way it is going to be. People have already been through this with IMSS at the Chapala office.

Manny - you aren't getting out and about enough if you don't know expats who have used/are using government insurance.

The IMSS Rules are what are now being enforced in the Chapala office. The rules do exclude treatment of chronic diseases of the voluntary members. Often the Rules of an Administrative Agency fly in the face of the intent of the law but the legislators can't fix it if they don't know about it.

Ajijic has answered this for you several times. Membership is not based upon what you own or where you live. Those questions are asked as part of a census and not for membership in SP.

Ajijic has also said that a pensioner is not charged and his family members are not charged if they are signed up as a family. That's why only the pensioner needs to apply for the family and family members are not asked any questions. I think that means that you had to be signed up as individuals if you both presented information when you signed up and that is why you are being charged. Why not have Ajijic's wife intervene, as he has offered several times, since she understands SP?

Griffin-the post was a response to Spencer per his request to ask SP what new law the SP employee was referring to when he advised we couldn't renew and now new foreigners. I also included a little information about our initial enrollment. My husband speaks fluent Spanish and answered all questions at our enrollment and we were issued a family policy for 3 months-not 2 individual policies. Per the SP and also Rolly's websites there could be a charge due from a member based on the answers to the questions.

Ajijic has been very helpful on this web board with Seguro Popular questions and also his wife helping others enroll as a facilitator. However, Spencer is local and we have used him for other items and will use him for assistance. We simply posted the information as it was given to us this morning at the Joco SP office to see if anyone else had heard this change by SP.

True, and exactly why SP could not have changed its laws and rules to exclude foreigners. SP allows illegal aliens from Central America to join SP so how can it not allow foreigners from the U.S. and Canada who are legal residents to join SP? Makes no sense to us either.

It is necessary to consider that a program, intended to service a specific segment of society, does have a BUDGET. and if for some reason their numbers are not working well they have to make choices. It would be reasonable to assume they have to cut back services and refuse new clients or returning clients. Even though the constitution says no discrimination it isn't technically discrimination when a programs administrative rules change to accommodate the budget situation.

And like a previous poster I too think there can be a lot of personal subjective policing going on in these systems.

i only know 4 mexicans who have used IMSS. (not SP). only one them had a good experience. she had a gall bladder attack & they rushed her into surgery. good results. the other lady was very ill for months. they delayed the important tests, & gave her medicine which did nothing. she suffered, but eventually w/in a year she had bladder surgery. also has to go to the USA to buy the medicine as they dont have it in mexico. the 3rd person didnt fool around, she paid for a test. saw my doctor & if she waited she may have lost a kidney as it was infected. the 4th person has had chronic knee pain for several years. the amount of hours she has spent waiting to see drs, & several months wait for the ultrasound etc, she worsened. missed work, suffered. i would have paid 600 pesos had the ultra sound & @least would know my options. NO thanks for IMSS. i wouldnt trust them if i had a car accident. btw, men from central america are higher on the food chain than you are. (@least for the medical care).

Archived