Chapala.com Webboard

Chapala Corruption Because Expats don't speak Spanish

Mad_Max

Guest bigd

There is really not much need to learn english in the us for spanish speaking people. Schools hire spanish speaking teachers, paperwork sent in spanish, workplaces adapt to spanish speakers, drivers license tests in spanish. Most 1st generation immigrants (legal or illegal) in the us do not learn nor need to. Even the courts provide translators.

So very true> Would it not be nice if the Mexican government would extend the same courtesy to non-spanish speakers here in Mexico. Some people just do not want to take the effort to learn to speak spanish. Why is it that you can not call the phone company to report a problem unless you speak spanish here??

why? ask your friend obama & the new world order. its double standard, didnt you know? in general, english speaking white people are accomodated in 5 star resorts. or you have a staff who makes your calls if you live here & have $. mexico cares less about anyone on a budget, even their own. anyway, you are all being phased out in the US, @ least in the SW area. say "bye bye"!

Guest bigd

why? ask your friend obama & the new world order. its double standard, didnt you know? in general, english speaking white people are accomodated in 5 star resorts. or you have a staff who makes your calls if you live here & have $. mexico cares less about anyone on a budget, even their own. anyway, you are all being phased out in the US, @ least in the SW area. say "bye bye"!

Could you explain what you are saying???

Shira ... right on!

wow American attitude that English be more wide spread in Mexico. Get off your high horse.

First, there are about 1 million expats in Mexico full time. there are likely 20 million Spanish speaking people living in the US. With a ratio of 20 to 1 get real.

Second, Mexico does not given basic education of any quality to their citizens and now you want English to be more of a priority?

You came here knowing Spanish is the language of Mexico so live with and accept it or learn the language.

Look at the sheer cost and fiasco of Canada having two languages. It costs manufacturers, government, consumers for little gain.

Guest bigd

I forgot where my Staff is. Maybe you could help?

So very true> Would it not be nice if the Mexican government would extend the same courtesy to non-spanish speakers here in Mexico. Some people just do not want to take the effort to learn to speak spanish. Why is it that you can not call the phone company to report a problem unless you speak spanish here??

The Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo specifies that the USA permits the continuance of Mexican Culture; which includees language, in the USA; particularly the part of the USA which used to be 52% of Mexico. Therefore, there are requirements for government forms, services, etc. to be available in Spanish.

Note that you don't see the same for other languages, as they are not bound by treaty & the USA really doesn't have an 'official language', just a 'common language'.

never said mexico "should" accomodate english speakers. possibly "bigd" thinks so. but spanish is #1 on the telephone recordings in the NE section of the US. thats not part of the treaty. english was always the official language of the US. maybe they changed the rules. as for you being "phased out"- where have you been all these years?

The Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo specifies that the USA permits the continuance of Mexican Culture; which includees language, in the USA; particularly the part of the USA which used to be 52% of Mexico. Therefore, there are requirements for government forms, services, etc. to be available in Spanish.

Note that you don't see the same for other languages, as they are not bound by treaty & the USA really doesn't have an 'official language', just a 'common language'.

Would you be so kind as to point out to the rest of us where you found this in the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo, which can be read at this link?

http://www.mexica.net/guadhida.php

Guest bigd

RV everytime someone brings up speaking spanish in the US You bring up the Treaty of Guadalupe quoting as if this were the reason the US must have two idioms. Get a grip it has no bearing on any of these conversation.

thousands of expats retire to mex. they go to seminars, & real estate lectures etc. no where does it say that it is a necessity to speak spanish. if they did few people would move here. you cant talk about nursing homes & post life in the same sentence w/language study. thats an oxi moron. years ago i went to a "welcome to mexico" lecture. (in another state, another area). they said learn some phrases for your maid. now the real estate comp was not lying, as it was in the center of a large expat population. & many of the workers spoke basic english. i agree about simple phrases. my neighbors dont even know that much! they dont even see their maids. they give keys, leave the $. thats even too disconnected for me.

Sorry. I can't read anything, as I am blind again. I use the voice function to hear posts and I can type by touch,. Hope to be able to read with one eye in a couple more months. This has been a very long year!

manny,

one of the most important reasons to learn at least the basics of a language of the country where you have chosen to live is simple courtesy. I doubt that anyone forced you to come here. you chose to do it. my mother and father insisted we learn the languages where we might wind up for many reasons, but first was courtesy. If one chooses to reside in a country other than their own, it is a grave discourtesy to insist that they learn your language because you are too arrogant or too lazy to learn theirs. Care to comment on why you left your native soil? I personally live here because I like Mexico; always have.

jay kay, again i repeat: i never said (or "insisted") that mexicans here learn english. do not mis quote. theres a big business targeted to retirees in mexico. most people who have moved here in the last 15 yrs, are not putting on cowboy hats & calling themselves poncho. they are looking for an alternative to florida, or where ever. they come to play golf. whether you think its correct or not, thats the way it is. if it wasnt for these old folks (& marketing), there would not be a business. & there would not be a forum where you can be political or nosy. this senior thing is going to other countries besides mexico. it may be ridiculous & illogical, but that is how the global world works. if mexicans choose to learn english, its their decision. most do better w/the skill, especially contractors. now back to the original discussion, the "grave discourtesy". my 2 employees are happy to have the work, whether its steady or occasionally. one speaks no english, the other a little. dont patronize them, or second guess how they are feeling. dont project. i KNOW, they couldnt care less how much or how little spanish i speak. meanwhile back @the ranch: "police are corrupt because expats dont speak spanish". keep telling yourself this, say it over & over. next time you get pulled over, it wont be a grave discourtesy.

In this area the police pull over poor people in broken down pickups and rarely touch nice vehicles. Why? Because these people are poor, uneducated, no political strings, cannot afford to do anything about it. They usually have cash on them, do not have bank accounts and are more at the mercy of predators. Pull over someone with political strings or etc. Nobody cares about the poor. They are targeted far more than people that do not speak spanish.

The same with breakins. If you think there are many breakins in your nice houses with security, you should see the poor areas with none. The police do not care about those people, forget about them doing anything.

Sorry, the poor are targeted far more.

Manny is right.

Archived