Chapala.com Webboard

CURP card - where to get

Information for anyone trying to get a CURP Card. Went to Chapala to get my Mexican drivers license this morning, was told I needed a CURP card, the fellow in the office sent us to the Municipal building in Chapala for our CURP cards. They no longer issue them in Chapala, Ajijic or Joco and advised us we have to go to Guadalajara to get it.

As I said before, go to the web site and enter your information. Another person at lakeside did so as advised and voila they had one. You may not have one but some discover they do. And, if you loose your CURP card you can print another.

You need it for a driver's license, Seguro Popular, INAPAM in most places if not all.

Do you have one? The web site is to check, apellido last name, nombre first name and DOB and nacido en el extranjero. Unless you have an FM3 or applied for a CURP, you probably do not have one.

If you have an FM-3 or 2 you have a CURP number right on it. It is 18 digits with the first two being part of your name and the 5th through 10th digit your birth date.

To print out your card go here: http://consultas.curp.gob.mx/CurpSP/

We print them out every week for clients of my wife who is a facilitator for expats.

Interesting. I got my CURP number from the Ajijic Delegation a couple of years ago. I have it printed it out and everything. When I plugged my info into the website you provide, this is what I get: "No se encuentra en la Base de Datos Nacional de la CURP." i.e. "No CURP number has been found in the National Data Base". So you can do everything right, and still not be in their system. Of course, in the last two years, I have never had an occasion to actually need or use a CURP numbers, so I guess it was just another useless waste of my time. Sigh...

This post is for AJIJIC

I did as you directed, but maybe I'm a dumb blonde, but

I don't understand the names they want me to enter

Primer apellido is e.g. Mary

segundo nombre? what's that?

nombre WHAT is that?

The answers are all above. Please everyone, do not forget there are several web sites that will translate for you such as Google. Knowing at least some very basic Spanish words such as "nombre", "segundo" etc is a must to live here with a little ease.

I just entered first name, last name, sex, DOB, state and CURP appears.

I am not saying everyone has a CURP. I am saying you may have onen and not know and worth checking. In many states Immigration issues a CURP automatically such as Guanajuato state.

This is fun!

As far as understanding the names-- it helps to think of "apellido" as "family name", so your primer apellido is your first FAMILY name, and your secundo apellido is your second FAMILY name. As another poster noted, Latins usually use two last names-- the primer apellido is usually the person's father's family name, and the segundo apellido is usually the person's mother's family name. And nombre is your first name. Hence, Enrique (nombre) Peña (primer apellido) Nieto (segundo apellido).

Ajijic, I'm another one who doesn't have a CURP number. We've lived here 2.5 years. My "No Inmigrante" card (formerly knows as FM3) has a blank space for CURP. I tried the search function you provided, and came up blank. I even tried several variations-- for example, using my middle name as the primer apellido and my last name as the segundo apellido, in case some data entry person entered my name thataway. No dice.

Since it sounds like a CURP card might be useful, I look forward to what Spencer and other uncover as the new administration and the new laws start sorting things out.

This is fun!

As far as understanding the names-- it helps to think of "apellido" as "family name", so your primer apellido is your first FAMILY name, and your secundo apellido is your second FAMILY name. As another poster noted, Latins usually use two last names-- the primer apellido is usually the person's father's family name, and the segundo apellido is usually the person's mother's family name. And nombre is your first name. Hence, Enrique (nombre) Peña (primer apellido) Nieto (segundo apellido).

Ajijic, I'm another one who doesn't have a CURP number. We've lived here 2.5 years. My "No Inmigrante" card (formerly knows as FM3) has a blank space for CURP. I tried the search function you provided, and came up blank. I even tried several variations-- for example, using my middle name as the primer apellido and my last name as the segundo apellido, in case some data entry person entered my name thataway. No dice.

Since it sounds like a CURP card might be useful, I look forward to what Spencer and other uncover as the new administration and the new laws start sorting things out.

We just renewed our Mexican driver's licenses last week and had to have a CURP number. We got the number a month ago for this reason.

A few reasons why you will need a CURP number:

Driver license

Working papers and / or registration with tax authorities

Seguro Popular

IMSS

Capital Gains exemption

Issuance of a professional Cedula

To study in Mexico

It used to be so easy to get a CURP. In fact the only reason I got one maybe 3 years ago was because I needed a subject for "Tech Talk" an article that used to be in the Guad Reporter. And once I got it, it didn't seem to be needed for anything. (I think it took me ten minutes to get in Ajijic)

Now as Spender explained, it is harder to get and there are all kind of reasons why I will need my CURP. I'm sure glad I got mine when it was very easy.

• 4 months later...

Any update on how to get a CURP card? Where to go? What documentation to take along?

I have a Residente Temporal.

The website doesn't show I have a CURP number, even with various combinations of my name. And there is a 'page not found' error on the list of offices where you can go.

TIA.

We do the CURP applications, $200 pesos all we need is immigration document and passport and you sign a form and we turn it in and check back every few days, they take 1 to 4 weeks depending on how motivated immigration is to process a bunch at a time.

You also need your CURP when you need to get a No Antecedentes Penales letter./Police letter/

To get your CURP you need to go to the Immigration Office in Chapala.

I was told you need to write a letter requesting a CURP.

Take your passport with you and a copy of it.

It seems there is no charge for this service.

Good luck.

Archived