Chapala.com Webboard

2 Questions about Riberas Del Pilar

Alfa

I am sure many will remember the meeting in Feb in Chapala when the mayor announced the imminent start of installation of sewer lines in Riberas. Does anyone know what has happened to this project? Since the meeting there has been nothing but silence.

Some will also remember about a year ago a new well was opened which was supposed to end the sand problem in the water in Riberas. I find my filters get just as clogged as before. What happened to the clean water?

Welcome to Mexico and especially welcome to Riberas. There are several wells and you may not be on the "new" well, I certainly am not and as far as the sewer project, I understand they've been "promising" that since Poncho Villa was around. Personally I want to see where they build the plant because I'm in the lowest part of Riberas.

in Mexico we use to say "el prometer no empobrece", that means, that the pols can promise aaaanithing because this won´t make them to become poor..... :017:

I am sure many will remember the meeting in Feb in Chapala when the mayor announced the imminent start of installation of sewer lines in Riberas. Does anyone know what has happened to this project? Since the meeting there has been nothing but silence.

Some will also remember about a year ago a new well was opened which was supposed to end the sand problem in the water in Riberas. I find my filters get just as clogged as before. What happened to the clean water?

I had live here for almost 8 years and we had been hearing the same thing for that long. We have friends in lower Riveras with septic tanks problems.

"Lower Riberas" seems to be a very nebulous term. It stretches from San Antonio to the curve at the Carretera before the park. So, maybe before we cast too many aspersions we should be a bit more specific as to location?

The property I live on is so porous I have a problem with my gardeners, they work in the evening and leave on a sprinkler or hose and the next morning there is hardly a trace? - no place I've ever lived could you leave a hose running over night without flooding the place, so it's a bit hard to imagine an actual "septic system" (properly installed - yes, I know?) that would have a problem here.

And as rehashed from times recent, I'd hate to imagine dealing with the traffic and street disruption, plus the cost to the owners of that sort of project, but then, that's why my bag is packed and next to the front door.

I live in lower riberas and I don't think one would get much argument that the water is dirty. After living with the problem for many years I installed a large sand filter and water softener and now the dishwasher, washing machine, faucets, showers and toilets thank me. It was an ongoing and never ending problem with the damage that the sand and grit was doing. As for the sewers. I have seen survey teams in and around the area but don't really know what that means. I have zero problems with my septic tank in the 7 years we have lived here. Never had an overflow nor ever had it pumped. So I suspect it is a hit and miss thing. Personally, I enjoy living here more than upper ajijic where we lived previously. The highway noise, music and fireworks were more abundant in Ajijic.

"I have seen survey teams in and around the area but don't really know what that means. I have zero problems with my septic tank in the 7 years we have lived here. Never had an overflow nor ever had it pumped. So I suspect it is a hit and miss thing."

Couldn't agree more, this property has never had a problem nor has anyone else I have met around here. To be honest, it's actually hard to have a problem except for blatant incompetence in installation. Seems in CO some 40 years ago, the rule was dig a hole, pour in a gallon of water and if it percolates in 1 minute or maybe more (sorry?) it's good. Here? - my gosh, about once a month during the dry season, out at my back gate, it moves and jams as the ground dries, so I have a certain place I put the hose to run overnight and hundreds of gallons leave a "wet spot" no larger than a dinner plate and the gate moves back. Yes, I know, don't start, my point is that the ground here is so porous it's hard to imagine having a septic problem - other than total incompetence.

I rent, but I'd bet the owners will be facing a bill for much $$$$ thousands of dollars of assessment for something they don't need.

I keep on hearing about so many problems about Riberas Del Pilar. You know, dirty water, no water, bad internet, bad telephone connectivety, no electricity, etc. Riberas Del Pilar is quite large. I hope we are only talking about small portions of this area that have so many outages and/or problems.

I keep on hearing about so many problems about Riberas Del Pilar. You know, dirty water, no water, bad internet, bad telephone connectivety, no electricity, etc. Riberas Del Pilar is quite large. I hope we are only talking about small portions of this area that have so many outages and/or problems.

Part of the electrical problems depends on what transformer you're on. I know the one west of me is bad closer to San Antonio. Mine is good. I have sandy water but never no water & my phone & internet work fine. No septic problems either.

I think you are hearing about lower Riberas, and where Giltner lives - the west end. Upper Riberas where I live has clean water from the new well, dependable power, dependable internet and telephone. Please be careful when you slam an entire area.

I think you are hearing about lower Riberas, and where Giltner lives - the west end. Upper Riberas where I live has clean water from the new well, dependable power, dependable internet and telephone. Please be careful when you slam an entire area.

Sorry, I'm not slamming, I'm only asking why I am always seeing negative posts about all of or parts of, Riberas Del Pilar

There ARE wonderful places to live in Riberas, and yes, it covers a pretty large area

I live in Upper Riberas near the churches and Maskaras Clinic. We have great internet/phone service--Infinitum--great water pressure--I live a block from the new well, and our ground grows nice green grass. When I water it is absorbed and everything turns green. The cobblestone streets are in pretty good condition, too.

If you have trouble with the ground not absorbing water when you water, maybe a few truckloads of top soil would help.

We live in a quiet neighborhood. We are far enough away from Chapala and Ajijic that we usually don't hear the boomers going off. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else!

• 2 months later...

Would 120 San Antonio in Riberas del Pilar be considered Upper or Lower? Sorry for my ignorance, we haven't been Lakeside yet. I've never been so excited for the month of October, our first visit.

Are there any issues on that street or that area of Riberas?

Thanks in advance.

Riberas has improved greatly since we came here, both because the folks in the neighborhood have worked hard to combat graffiti and litter and also because there's been steady coinstruction of nice and very well priced homes there. I predict that within 10 years, you won't know the place. :)

Riberas has improved greatly since we came here, both because the folks in the neighborhood have worked hard to combat graffiti and litter and also because there's been steady coinstruction of nice and very well priced homes there. I predict that within 10 years, you won't know the place. :)

So I guess you could call Riberas del Pilar an "up and coming" area. I see a lot of well-priced houses in that area that look interesting but was more weary because of the well/septic issues. I'm glad to hear that there have been improvements and that the community continues to work on the issues at hand.

Eagles 100, when we moved here 7 years ago, there was a LOT of new construction going on in Riberas, and my theory is that of those houses are now turning over, due to the many reasons why people move, such as gringos who, as just one example, get sick and decide to go back to somewhere where their healthcare is covered by insurance or govt. programs. Just do due diligence about any house you buy, and consider renting for a while rather than jumping into a purchase. The market is slow here now, so you will not lose anything, in my view, by going slowly.

So I guess you could call Riberas del Pilar an "up and coming" area. I see a lot of well-priced houses in that area that look interesting but was more weary because of the well/septic issues. I'm glad to hear that there have been improvements and that the community continues to work on the issues at hand.

Yes, I would call it an up and coming area. A younger retiree on a limited budget would be well to consider it. Patience could be rewarded in the pocketbook.

Of course I'm biased because my all time favorite piano and drum maestros live there! :)

Generally speaking land prices at Lakeside are "expensive"..

If you have a limited budget and have to look for affordable lots, then Riberas comes to mind..primary because there are "small" lots, 260/360sq.mt, priced 100usd a sq.mt...a few years ago these lots where 35usd so there has been a good appreciation...

Lots in areas like La Foresta cost 200+usd> sq.mt ..the Raquect Club lots are 100+>usd sq.mt BUT the average lot size is 1,000mts so your outlay before you build is 100,000usd

As in any area, the actual location/lot is important, visit the place early morning and or late at night.... are there any noisy neighbors/music/animals etc etc ..good luck

Here in Lower Riberas we tend to be a bit DYI (or it doesn't happen). No street light for a year on a dead dark street? - now we have one, I bought it at Home Depot, I installed it and I maintain it. Floods in past years came into the property due to no street maintenance? - my neighbor and I split the cost of a tractor and a couple loads of gravel, now the street slopes away from the property and water flows on by. I just heard lots of scraping/shoveling sounds (and of course loud MXN music) and looked out and my neighbor had two of his boys shoveling a pickup load of broken tiles into the "lake" formed by - yes, no street maintenance. Here the general expectation is NOT "you get what you paid for" - but - "you get what you personally pay for - and do yourself".

Just a note....................the water in Chapala Haciendas is the best and cleanest of all lakeside. We are told this by H2Ole who manages our water purifier system. Only change the filters twice a year and they are barely dirty!

Come look for a place to rent or buy here!

Archived