Chapala.com Webboard

Restaurants in Chapala

barefootcontessa22

Well, of course, there are the fish restaurants at the east end of the Chapala malecon. Cozumel (in the middle of the row) is a gringo favorite (I think the 2 for 1 margaritas probably influence that) and when we really need to mellow, we like to go sit at the restaurant at the very end overlooking the water--the combination of the view with the drinks and food will overcome any sad feelings. They also have quite good mariachis on weekends! We used to go to El Zapote, which you reach by going straight across the main blvd. and heading down a block or two--it's on the left--they have the best pozole and homemade tortillas. (We don't live near Chapala anymore.) And if you turn left at the main blvd. and go out of town past Soriana and past Vista del Lago and go another 2 kms. or so, there is Foccacia (on the right almost on the road), a good Italian restaurant run by a young couple--this is way out in the country but worth the trip. I am not sure how comfortable I am with that route these days, but I am working on it.

That's for starters!

There are several more on the west end of the malecon with lakefront seating, as well as Superior, since 1954, and many others along F. I. Madero for traditional food, roast chicken & grilled chicken, shrimp places, etc. In the evenings, after 7PM, there are cenadurias open for traditional supper dishes. Inside the mercado publico you will find excellent plates at Cocina Economica; my favorite being their chiles rellenos. On the outside front wall are more choices, plus everyone's favorite, José's Mexican Amerian food on the south pedestrian area, etc., etc.

I hear about many Ajijic restaurants and patronize them frequently; strangely, I don't hear much about restaurants in Chapala. Are there any really good ones, and if so, what are their specialties?

Really good ones IN CHAPALA, you ask.... Sorry that I have to go against the majority here.

My answer : a good one : definitely Jose's place.

Average : several.

Really good ones : No

But, try a few yourself.... this is just a personal opinion. I am not even disappointed because I never came to Mexico for the food. Most of the times, they manage to ruin even toast, no capuccinos, desserts are flan or flan or flan or none at all, bad French fries, lousy presentation (just look at the frijoles refritos.... look like ...) and not enough variety in the menu. I tried chilis rellenos (as an example) in about 5 different places and only Jose's are really good.

Now, I am not saying that the food is bad, but on the whole, not much more then average. But again, take my opinion for what it is worth,..... in Europe Mexican food is not as big as in the US for ex, and we prefer a lot more Italian, Thai or French..... and value vegetables a lot more, something I believe is lacking in Mexican cuisine. Food in Mexico..... to give you another example.... Chinese food can be pretty good all over the world, in Mexico it is like a lottery ticket to find a good one. Since we were not talking exclusively about Mexican food in Mexico..... try finding a simple spagetti in Chapala (Italian cuisine as being choosen as the number one cuisine in different surveys).

Go to the ice cream place on the corner Madero/Hidalgo.... looks really cosy, nice and more then average prices.... they serve ice cream (and not even to write home about) inside, in plastic cups and plastic spoons and the choice is, to say the least, just disappointing. And the Michoacan ice cream.... sorry, but just horrible (but, have to say, my dog likes it).

I said enough,.... enough for more arguments, discussions or fights (since I will probably be a minority who thinks that, but that is ok). Luckily, I am backed in my opinion by the number one Mexican chef (Daniel who comes from Baja California, who is teaching at the local restaurants, in order to get some improvement) here in Chapala.

Now, I am always open to a free lunch invitation, so that you can prove me wrong, but only in good and clean company please .

Cheerio,

Rony

Guest RevImmigrant

I agree with you, Rony. The food is much better, overall, in the restaurants in Germany and Poland. I was in Norway twice (Oslo and Bergen) and never had a bad meal. Even the small town where I lived on the German-Polish border had a very good Chinese restaurant. And the portions are much bigger.

And... actually, my American friends tell me that the Mexican food (with the American influence) is a lot better in the US.

If you use a lot of fat (like they do more than average here), you can make almost everything taste better and by doing that you are not really showing a lot of imagination in your cooking skills.

For the last year, I visited a lot of the so called "better" restaurants in the Lakeside area and you know what, save your money and just go to the " hole in the wall Jose's restaurant " (no, I have nothing to win in recommending him). It is not fancy but better and you are less likely to get sick.

I talked to a lady who worked in one of these "better" places in Ajijic. She told me that in the morning they prepare the water (with the drops to desinfect) to wash the veggies and they were not allowed to change that water all day. By the end of the day, it was all black..... and it is one of these places where people pay good money and that look nice. Looks are often deceiving.

If more people would actually ask to see the kitchen in many of our local restaurants they would not eat in the restaurant again. Neglected and unclean equipment in a kitchen is irresponsible. Witnessing servers and kitchen staff who fail to wash their hands after using the toilet is a turn-off anywhere in the world. Having servers with unkempt hair and soiled clothing is also discouraging. A good rule: On your first visit to a restaurant enter the public washroom. If it is dirty then you can pretty much assume that the kitchen is the same. A dirty menu is a definite indication that the owner simplydoesn't care! Sadly, there are a limited number of restaurants in Ajijic where responsible food handling is practiced. Yes, in Canada and the U.S. there are strict, enforceable regulations but sadly there doesn't appear to be any real level of supervision or inspection of restaurants in Jalisco. Even the "non-smoking" law in restaurants is almost totally ignored in many establishments. The restaurant owners in Ajijic and Chapala who have enforced the non-smoking regulations are to be commended. They obviously knew that the quality of their food and their established standards would allow them to survive and even "smokers" would continue as patrons.

Guest RevImmigrant

CRJD, you're right. Years ago my parents had some friends in Waco, TX. The husband was a coffee salesman who sold coffee to the restaurants. He said if you were to see how dirty some of those kitchens were, you wouldn't eat there and then he mentioned some restaurants that looked particularly nice and reportedly had good food, so this is not a new phenomenon.

Guest RevImmigrant

It is the same problem. Restaurants everywhere sometimes tend not to be as clean as they should be in the kitchen. Customers don't see the kitchens so we don't know unless someone like my parents' friend tells us or unless it gets so bad the health department closes them down. I remember some years ago the health department in Guadalajara closed down all of the eating places in the big Mercado Libertad because of sanitation violations. I have seen newspapers in the big cities in the USl publish a list of restaurants with health inspection violations in the food section for that week or month. The bottom line is that you just never know.

I will respectfully disagree that "Mexican food (with the American influence) is a lot better in the US". These are people who have no idea what Mexican food tastes like and actually like TexMex. I went to college in New Mexico and came back to Denver loving New Mexican food. Then I tasted what they were calling Mexican food and stopped eating it in so-called Mexican restaurants. Years later Mexican friends showed me the little secret places that served real Mexican and I started loving it again.

One of my favorite places in Chapala is El Rey Taco...the owner is Marco so we call it Marco's often.

It is located behind Soriana one block up going away from the lake...they are not open on Sunday but are open the rest of the week. They are open around 12 and stay open until about 8...They have a great menu...he will make what you want if you ask ahead of time...he usually has BBQ on Wed. Very reasonable prices...He also caters....I have a friend who loves the enchaladas she use to get at Luby's in the US and as soon as we get a group together, he said he would make those for us...I just provide him with the recipe...

You can see the kitchen and all the cooking...I have found his place to be clean. Hope you will give it a try.

His mother bakes and they have great empanada's...

Archived