Chapala.com Webboard

Safety / security in San Miguel? Guanajuato? Others?

berto

Not making any plans to leave lakeside. Just researching as due diligence.

Does anyone have any verifiable information about safety & security in other cities in Mexico that have a good-sized expat population?

Specifically - San Miguel & Guanajuato... any others that you'd consider in Mexico?

I own a home in Ajijic, but spent some time in San Miguel in March, and I have to say, I felt far safer, walking around in the evening, than I have in Ajijic for some time. I also met a gringo couple who live in Guanajuato and love it. We've always wondered about Queretaro. Probably not a large gringo population, but a lovely city.

I have American friends living in Queretaro and they love it, ..... very safe and gorgeous city.

From all over Mexico and especially from Monterrey, up to 50 Mexican (and other) families a day are moving there now (not sure what that will do the prices). It is the richest state in Mexico (highest GDP).

I like the location. You can take a direct bus from Queretaro to Mexico city airport (about 2 hours).

So far SMA including all of Guanajuato state, Queretaro and Queretaro state have escaped what has sadly happened to lakeside in the last few weeks. In neither place would I truly trust law enforcement. In SMA, one sees less razor wire, broken glass on walls etc. And, while the weekly SMA "expat" paper reports total crimes in each classification of course like everywhere in Mexico most crime is not reported to the police. Meanwhile, the Guadalajara Reporter tries hard to keep the lakeside expats informed. The "calm" in SMA can be broken anytime so one can not assume status quo.

Guanajuato state has several car plants and new ones under construction including VW near Leon. Celaya is getting a new Honda FIT assembly plant. Queretaro is known for aircraft technology including Bombardier, car parts, numerous high tech industrial centers and in Rio 30 minutes south is a car assembly plant. These better paying jobs with benefits can only help.

Guanajuato is a jewel.

Definitely, far fewer expats in Queretaro and Guanajuato than SMA and lakeside. Ajijic and SMA have approx. the same numbers in total but more concentrated in Ajijic.

Not making any plans to leave lakeside. Just researching as due diligence.

Does anyone have any verifiable information about safety & security in other cities in Mexico that have a good-sized expat population?

Specifically - San Miguel & Guanajuato... any others that you'd consider in Mexico?

Cancùn in Quintana Roo, is a real very nice place by the ocean, the Caribbean....wow!

I've also been researching other expat communities. I'm not ready to bail yet, but if this continues there's no reason to stay. I'm looking at Queertero too. I've heard really good things about it and I believe it's less expensive to live than San Miguel. I'm thinking of visiting for a week in July. Anybody interested in Caravaning up there with me? Send me a PM so we can make plans.

If I ever have the chance of moving I will defenaly thik about Queretaro. The city has the perfect size, the weather is great, it is close to everywhere, and there are also qute little tows around such as San Juan del Rio and Tequisquiapan (love them!).

Guanajuato is a beautiful city so it is SMA, what I really like about the state of Guanajuato is that there are so many "medium" cities around, and so close that you can be everywhere whithin 1 hour, besides the roads are great (cuotas and free roads), and yes! I feel so sucure there that I take free roads!

We live in SMA akin to one living in Brisas Chapala. We are exactly 3 km from the Liverpool Mall. We have an 11000 sq ft property surrounded by 6' chain link. I removed the barb wire on top. We have 3 dogs of our own and occassionally board dogs. In a year we have never locked the house. There is a neighbour on one side and thousands of open acres on the other. Across the street is the home of a Mexican television star and her husband and son. They live in Mexico city and occassionaly visit. Prior to moving in last year we had new furniture inside and patio furniture outside. The workers were here 5 days a week and not one item was taken. Again, the house was not locked.

Before that we lived almost in centro, 12 minute walk from the jardine. We had 2 dogs and a wall around the property with houses on 3 sides. We never locked the house and the car was parked on the street. A few times I forgot a car window was open and also we left the Honda scooter on the street.. old age forgetfulness. :017:

We also have a motorcycle. Almost daily, my wife and I or my wife and daughter ride it without hesitation. Today we met up with another couple and went 75 km on paved roads outside the city and never repeating any portion. There are numerous opportunities to explore as one noted all within an hour being it by car or scooter or whatever. Safety has never been an issue.

I am not saying SMA is as safe as where I have lived in Canada and as we have recently seen, anywhere can change. And, I do not trust the police anywhere in Mexico. I am simply saying this has been our experience.

As to Queretaro, which is actually called Santiago de Queretaro, if you have not been and are interested we recommend you visit. Stay awhile and get a feeling for the city. Centro is a gem, clean, safe, sophisticated. The city has 626,000 in the 2010 census and the state about 1.5 million. We go often as it is 50 minutes away and highways are excellent. Prices are fairly similar in Queretaro, SMA, Guanajuato.

Any questions, please PM.

I will add we love lakeside and have friends there. Today, we would not live there and I doubt we would even visit for now. This is so sad.

Just remember if it can happen here, it can happen anywhere. Monterrey used to be very safe, no more. Earlier, we had the narcoblocos and burning buses in Guad. Until the country realizes that it is in a war, not a police action, with the narco terrorists, they are going to hit one place after another IMO.

I have a female friend who is planning on checking out San Miguel. She asked I post this message for her and have any like minded people who are thinking about moving to San Miguel PM message me so they can get together here and talk (mull over) the pros and cons of moving and perhaps share a ride to check out San Miguel together together.

There is a couple and also female artist who use to live at lakeside who moved to SMA in past month. One has a great blog. PM me and I will send contact info. I know others who are contemplating relocating from there and another who is redirecting her plans to SMA vs lakeside.

Nice try but won't happen and the edge of SMA as in 5 miles out. We wrote to UNESCO secretary of the World Heritage department in Quebec City and they were here in a few days intervening. Plus numerous legal actions against the mayor and her corrupt entourage. The Mexican papers say she could go to jail over this along with her executive as there were no requests to the federal government and hence no approvals. Meanwhile, her pockets are lined.

As a property owner in San Miguel myself, I was not especially pleased about the prospect of seeing such a development but hadn't heard the final word on it. Thank you for the more recent information. On the other hand, as pointed out in one of the articles I read on the subject, the increase of property values has made home ownership unaffordable for those who are the workers there. Building some affordable housing near town might be a desirable idea, from their point of view.

Here are some blog posts I have made, along with photos, of some of the areas people mentioned:

San Miguel Allende: http://cookjmex.blog...of-4-parts.html

Guanajuato: http://cookjmex.blog...ity-part-1.html

Queretaro: http://cookjmex.blog...tiful-city.html

Oaxaca: http://cookjmex.blog...-mountains.html

Each of these is a series covering various areas of a given city and some outside it. When you get to the bottom of any blog page, just click on "newer post" for the next in the series on that location.

All of the above are great places, each with its own special attractions. The only place mentioned in this thread that I would not recommend is Cancun in Yucatan, largely because of the climate. For most of the year, Yucatan is waaaay to hot for me and humid to boot. Good place to visit, but perhaps not to live.

Enjoy your search!

Archived