Chapala.com Webboard

Your Ideas Needed: What Can We Do About the Crime Situation?

jorgensen

I'd like to focus on what we can do to help. I know Calderon is in Washington this week, so this could be a good time to make an impact. One of his goals, I know, is to re-open discussions about Medicare in Mexico for ex-pats. That's all I know, though.

1. Does anyone know what else is on his agenda? I assume crime is, but do you know of anything specific?
  2. What do you think about meeting with our embassy here to apply some pressure? We could go as a big group, and maybe call the press to cover it?
  3. I don't want to meddle in the politics here (it's against the law, for one thing), but it occurs to me that together we've got some clout (and maybe money) to help in some way. Any ideas that won't get us arrested or worse?

I've learned the US government does not really care too much about protecting its citizens abroad. It will not apply pressure for our benefit along the lake. Really the embassy is here to promote US commerce. Only in a crisis situation like happened in Egypt will the US get involved in getting its citizens out of a country and at the cost of the citizens involved. So you can toss out that idea.

Ditto for the useless Canadian Embassy in Mexico City. And they won't let you in, even to the outside patio, whether you go as a group or not, so who would you speak to? And if you don't mind my saying something that borders on political, the 3 stooges are partners in a free trade agreement and don't under any circumstances want to admit that there's a serious problem with one of their partners - otherwise they have to justify to their constituents why they do business with countries where abuses and massacres take place.

I live in Nuevo Laredo and post occasionally when people who will be travelling ask questions about conditions along the border. My general impression up till recently was that participants on this forum were mostly pretty sensible and realistic about security issues related to narco-violence.

But I am at a loss to understand why the recent incident has provoked what at times seems an almost hysterical response. Incidents far worse than this have been occuring regularly across wide areas of Mexico for the last three years including some in Jalisco. Without a doubt Mexico has a serious problem, but it isn't a problem that just developed overnight. The pieces have been in place for years although as hard as it is for me to believe, apparently many residents of your area were not aware of that. I'm not downplaying the general concern, but I think you are overreacting. Things could be alot worse.

I think we were aware of it but it wasn't happening here - things began to change locally last year and have suddenly gone into overdrive with kidnappings and deaths. There's always been a low level of activity, easily ignored but no longer. I think the real fear behind things for a lot of residents is - when will they start on gringos.

Yes, it is different when it occurs in YOUR town. In the Ajijic-Chapala area, a lot of us have believed we lived in a little oasis of calm where, except for the occasional meth lab discovery, a few deadly internecine squabbles among the local drug dealers, and a few bodies dumped by the highway due to gang activity in Guadalajara, things were quiet and safe. "Ordinary" crime, such as house break-ins, was growing, but until this last year we personally felt safe. The Guad Squad--the middle and upper class Mexicans who have vacation homes here or visit on weekends, have believed similarly, altho many have taken to driving fortified vehicles and increasing security on their homes here. As expats, we have kept up with the news and avoided hot spots, plotting our travels around Mexico and up across the US border based on reports of what was safe and what was not. Now WE are one of the hot spots. Now many of us are afraid to take a trip to the border, no matter where we cross. We fear getting our cars highjacked or burned for narco blockades when we are on the roads. We are adding ever more security features to our homes. We are trying to figure out what we can do to support our Mexican neighbors. Altho things may quiet down if our area becomes controlled by one of the less terroristic gangs, life is not going to be the same as it was.

Not sure what to response here. I always felt safe driving to Guadalajara or to Tala, Tequilla and even to San Louis Potosi. I always been driven during the day and been a Canadian, our cars have running daylight so very easy to target, but we never had any problems. Maybe if the people do not feel safe driving by themselves, they could go as a small convoy or take public transport (which can be painfull). It is unfortunate with what is going on at the moment with the violence and all, but people have to stick together and not to listen to all the rumours unless they actually know it is true.

Time is a great healer, so hopefully this violence will go away so people can feel safe again in their home and surrounding and start enjoying life in Chapala that can be exceptionally pleasant.

I understand why people move to Mexico, although personally I would never buy property in a country that is often considered third world. But that aside, I really do understand the draw of Mexico - the low cost of living, the great weather, the culture etc. I have spent winters in different parts of Mexico for many years. However, what I don't understand is if you feel frightened to the point that you can't go out at night, you are always looking over your shoulder,you are a prisoner in your own home, then my feeling is that life is too short to live that way. I would rather live in a one room apartment and put up with the cold winters IF I felt that way. I know that people have made big investments when they bought their homes there, but to live with the kind of fear and hysteria that you are hearing about on these boards just wouldn't be worth it. Of course there are lots of people who can cope with the ups and downs - the periods of chaos - and not feel the anxiety. Those people are the ones who can live peacefully in Mexico and good for them. But for those who live in daily fear I just don't get it.

well, if latin american people is not welcome in north of america, why latin america should protect foreigners?

Latin Americans are welcome in North America. It's the illegals that some people have a problem with up North. Mexico has a problem with illegals also. It tries to keep illegals from entering its Southern border and makes the legals pay fees and prove income to stay in Mexico.

Animalover... Latino people ARE welcome, but they need to enter the US the same way as people from any other area of the world are similarly "welcomed".. LEGALLY, in accordance with US law.

What the US and its people don't welcome is those who break our laws to enter, break our laws to stay, break our laws to forge documents, take Social Security benefits to which they never contributed, murder ministers in the sanctuaries of their churches while committing robbery (as my minister was), overburden the public hospitals and services which are paid for and underused by those who pay for them (the taxpayers)... Etc. Do you understand this?

This legal entry and residence is EXACTLY what Mexico requires of those people entering its borders. Talking about "Latinos" not being welcome, did you know that illegal immigrants from El Salvador, Honduras, etc., are regularly deported, turned back, and even beaten by the Mexican imigrado? Mexico itself has a "no illegal alien" policy that it vigorously enforces.

So... It's not about the "Latinos", it's about the LEGAL STATUS of the entry method, and RESPECT for the laws of the country being entered.

Finally, US policy regarding illegal aliens has NOTHING to do with the obligation of the US government to protect its citizens overseas... NOTHING. The two issues are in no way related, a non-sequiter.

Archived