Chapala.com Webboard

A positive note to the tourists

bonbon

I have read all those articles about crime for quite some time now and have tried to keep my 2 cents out of it. If how safe or unsafe is your only question about going to Ajijic/Chapala for a holiday; then you should not be venturing out of your front door. I don't think that there is a place in all of North America where there has not been criminal activity.

How many people are beat up in the bars on white avenue in Edmonton every week end, how many murders are there in every larger city in the US and Canada? Look around people there is violence everywhere, and if you want to go out looking for it you are going to find it. And yes sometimes you are just in the wrong place at the wrong time, but hey you can't live in a bubble. So, is there crime at Lake Chapala? Yes there is. Is there crime in the town or city that you live in? Yes there is? Do you venture outside everyday to go to work, to go to the movies, shopping, and restaurants? Yes, and you probably are not aware that someone was possibly killed in the alley behind the restaurant you ate at. Or you don’t know when a nut case will go to a school and kill 30 innocent kids. Or a bomb will explode in the subway or the park you go to everyday.

We live in the area 8 years, and I was shocked to hear about the murders. Was I surprised? No. Like I said, crime is everywhere, why should Ajijic/Chapala be any different. Because of the government campaign to get rid of the cartels, we are going through the most intense period. There is a good possibility, that there will be less crime after the cartels get hit enough? Either they eliminate themselves or they get dismembered by the government program. In the meantime, that’s what we get. Will I leave? Probably not. Do I consider this a safe town? Yes. I much prefer to live here then in the larger cities where crime happens every day. Fear is a bad adviser.

Just my 2 cents worth.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am a little tired of hearing about crime everywhere. That is no surprise. Not all crime is equal however, and what Mexico is experiencing is not what Canda or the USA has. Regretably our little piece of paradise has a very dark cloud over it and people need to stop viewing this through rose colored glasses. The drug cartels are kidnapping and killing innocent people at Lake Chapala. Local businesss people are being extorted and closing shop out of fear and moving away. For the first time in many years I wonder what the future will bring to our area. If I were thinking of moving here I would wait 6 months, or until after the presidential elections, and see how the dust settles.

I have read all those articles about crime for quite some time now and have tried to keep my 2 cents out of it. If how safe or unsafe is your only question about going to Ajijic/Chapala for a holiday; then you should not be venturing out of your front door. I don't think that there is a place in all of North America where there has not been criminal activity.

How many people are beat up in the bars on white avenue in Edmonton every week end, how many murders are there in every larger city in the US and Canada? Look around people there is violence everywhere, and if you want to go out looking for it you are going to find it. And yes sometimes you are just in the wrong place at the wrong time, but hey you can't live in a bubble. So, is there crime at Lake Chapala? Yes there is. Is there crime in the town or city that you live in? Yes there is? Do you venture outside everyday to go to work, to go to the movies, shopping, and restaurants? Yes, and you probably are not aware that someone was possibly killed in the alley behind the restaurant you ate at. Or you don’t know when a nut case will go to a school and kill 30 innocent kids. Or a bomb will explode in the subway or the park you go to everyday.

We live in the area 8 years, and I was shocked to hear about the murders. Was I surprised? No. Like I said, crime is everywhere, why should Ajijic/Chapala be any different. Because of the government campaign to get rid of the cartels, we are going through the most intense period. There is a good possibility, that there will be less crime after the cartels get hit enough? Either they eliminate themselves or they get dismembered by the government program. In the meantime, that’s what we get. Will I leave? Probably not. Do I consider this a safe town? Yes. I much prefer to live here then in the larger cities where crime happens every day. Fear is a bad adviser.

Just my 2 cents worth.

With all due respect, Seewee, and without starting discussions that have taken place here over and over again, your observations are completely out of touch with reality here and you make the wrong comparisons. I can only hope that more people will start reading Mexican newspapers (more importanly the readers comments), talk (and listen ! ) to different educated Mexicans, watch Mexican TV (and You Tube !!! ) and really study the Mexican culture and history. If you do all that, then I apologize. Knowledge is power .... the opposite is dangerous and bad for people and society.

Number one..it isn't a large city and number 2? Getting beat up in a bar hardly equates with being kidnapped, tortured, killed and dismembered.

Apples and oranges.

Agree,

I see over and over again . What about Detroit? Yes there are drugs and crime BUT if an innocent is killed , it is because they were sitting in their home when some gang did a drive by shooting. One might be able to equate crime with some other countries, but not US or Canada.

Right on Elbelgicano

I have lived here 12 yrs, have a Mexican wife, property, etc. Knowledge of this situation can afford me to make better choices.

I applaud this webboard for allowing discussions, reports, etc of the existing situation, but was very dissappinted to in its decision to censor

I am still struggling with the decision of whether to complete my move to Lake Chapala but this argument that crime is everywhere doesn't convince me at all. We have crime in Canada as well but little where I live and certainly no tortured or beheaded bodies! Also, even in our worse areas we can call the police and get help and an ambulance to a good hospital if needed. This is way over the top of violence and I'm not convinced the police are able or willing to keep the citizens of Lake Chapala safe. I wonder....

"I am still struggling with the decision of whether to complete my move to Lake Chapala " - REALLY???!! Sorry, but with everything that's going on right now, who in their right mind would consider a move???

I sure would not agonize about moving here now, I just would not. Why would you move to an area that is in turmoil? No one knows how this will end so why even bother at this time. There are other places in the world where the sun shines.

Don't get paranoid. This is a place just to enjoy the sun, swimming in the pool, watching movies. Is what we do and we haven't have any problem at all. The wAr is among local narco, so they (until now) do not bother foreigners. I hope they continue staying away of the foreigners. Remember: we are retired, have a good time is our job.

The media does not help to be paranoid, it is tough time in Chapala area and hopefully after the election things will come back to the normal life that people are use to enjoy. Chapala is sure is a paradise on earth and a happy place to live. The authorities have to take back control of the area otherwise people will start to leave and this would not be very good for the fragile economy in Chapala.

I have lots of friends that lives in Chapala and they love the place, hopefully this will go away soon and no you can not compare the violence between Canada and the US. The rapid response is a little faster than Chapala.

There is still tons of nice Mexicans out there just like any other society it takes a long time to weed the bad one, and sometimes it is almost impossible.

You are quite correct, I think, except for one BIG issue.

When you are NOB (canada or USA) and you can call the cops, they DO turn up. Usually within just a few miniutes time. That is not true in Lakeside.

If you are NOB, Can the police "fix" whatever has happend to make you call them in the first place?? Can they arrest and prosecute the bad guys"? Maybe not. But still, they do arrive, they do what they can to protect the community. As little as it is NOB, it sill more than what you can expect in Lakeside. And that makes me sad.

Whether now is the right time to move depends on your risk tolerance.

There is a chance that you will be affected by violence. I live half of the year in Colorado. My chances of hitting a deer driving in the evening is, I believe, greater than my chance of being physically harmed by the narco problem. But I agree it does exist.

On the other hand, the unrest makes it an interesting time to invest. When the problems here resolve, you will see a good appreciation on your investments in the Lakeside community.

So look at your portfolio. If it is filled with CD's, AAA bonds, and the like. Please wait until things resolve here and you can help some other expat realize the gains on his Lakeside investments!

I am still struggling with the decision of whether to complete my move to Lake Chapala but this argument that crime is everywhere doesn't convince me at all. We have crime in Canada as well but little where I live and certainly no tortured or beheaded bodies! Also, even in our worse areas we can call the police and get help and an ambulance to a good hospital if needed. ThisI is way over the top of violence and I'm not convinced the police are able or willing to keep the citizens of Lake Chapala safe. I wonder....

Hi Sechelsally, If you can delay your move, I would. If not, there are a lot of things to consider. One is how you plan on spending your time and if you will have a car. I have some friends, that live alone, who are really nervous and not enjoying themselves. Having a car can help, because cabs are not showing up (apparently) after a certain hour. That can really limit what you can do in the evenings. If you do not have a network of friends waiting here for you, it could take a while to develop. Now, more than ever, people have to check on their friends, offer rides and keep their eyes and ears open. It is still a beautiful place.

SecheltShelly, it's just a bit worse than living in East Van in a bad section of town.

I would wait until after the July 1 elections. I think the outcome of the election will change things across the country. We just don't know if it will be for the good or for the bad.

To the person who said it's narcos fighting narcos - 30 innocent people kidnapped from this area is NOT narco on narco.

It's not the narco violence you need to worry about but the home invasions, robberies and break-ins that are what is really affecting expats.

Archived