Chapala.com Webboard

Wolf's Canine School

Myhomesweethome just mentioned that she had her dog traine at Wolf's. We have a doberman (or perhaps 2) that we would like to have personal protection trained. Please tell me, and some other interested friends, here about your impression of the school. Were both you and the dog trained? Which facility of the two around Guad did you use? What kinds of behavior training techniques were used to train the dog? Was the dog left in their care for a month? I assume the dog was person defense trained and not just obedience trained? At the end of the day, what was the total cost for the dog to be trained, boarded, etc. Any light you can shed about Wolf's would be appreciated.

btw, we are just finishing up getting our electric fence installed. It can't be any too soon in my mind. I'm glad you are taking staying safe seriously!

And no, don't all of you who believe in no walls, no locks, no bars on windows, no dogs and on and on write telling me and others we should go somewhere else if we don't feel secure here. I've heard that a million times so please spare us all another walk around that block.

Some people are fine sleeping in a tent in Vallarta...go for it, that's super fine with me, I like my walls and dogs ;)

http://www.wolfs.com...cia_basica.html

Very professional & I'm so happy we chose Wolf's. I researched a lot online & felt like I finally found a place that could give us the training I was looking for compared to NOB standards.

Basic & advanced training are both 2 weeks if boarded:
$3500 pesos at Marion Otero & $4500 pesos at Tlajomulco each level
must be 5-6 months old

Personal Protection & Guard
1 month
$4500 pesos at Marion Otero & $5500 pesos at Tlajomulco campus

They use a correction collar that tightens. All the pros use them with show dogs. We boarded my dog for a month & we went to check on him every week. Then I was invited to a weekly class. After 4 weeks I wanted to bring him home & we will continue free weekly classes as long as I like. Being he's a year old, I want him to continue his training at least until he's 3 years old. He had to be tested after basic training to see if he qualified for guard and protection as not every dog will qualify for it.

My dog will walk obediently w/out pulling along side of me, sit, stay, lay down & stay, and come upon command. Stay for an unlimited amount of time till I verbally release him. He is suspicious(watches), will lunge & bite an attacker. The owner has had other clients lakeside and is willing to come out here for more situational training. He's worked with me near my car, approached as if an attacker & my dog bit him :D They also train them to go after the arm that is armed etc. Don't forget that most are a bad shot so the dog should be in good shape. If a pug can do it in the raquet club recently, how much more a trained dog!

Here's a commercial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhEO7EmHV1g&feature=channel&list=UL

Here's a training video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtc7aJgXaOM

In our situation, all of his time at the school was a combination of obedience training and personal protection and guard. The first week was just obedience, then it was a combination of obedience and personal protection and guard. They had to awaken his natural ability to protect. When he first got there, he wouldn't bite. It's a game to the dog and he loves it. But it's not a game when I'm out walking with him. He is on alert, checking behind us as we go. I love him! Workers in the neighborhood are clearly afraid of him & I'm stopped and asked about my dog almost every time I take him out.

Once weekly classes began, we learned how to handle him with the leash & corrective collar. He is socialized & worked with in agility, then guard and protection training. Not every dog in the weekly classes are doing guard and protection but I love it when mine is the example of the week as newbie's and trained dogs work together. Our class has a dog that works for the fire department and civil protection. There are also dogs being trained on campus for the police. Since we learned how to handle him in class, my husband is training our second working dog at home until she's able to attend weekly classes. I believe they're $400 pesos a month. I wouldn't board a dog again, we didn't know how to train before and I didn't think I could handle my dog but now I know that I can. It may take a little longer but honestly, they work with your dog for a short period of time each day because the dog becomes bored with the exercises. Once you know what the exercise is, you can practice at home. Then bring the dog into weekly classes, reinforce what you are learning and stay for personal protection and guard training. The guard training can be practiced at home if you have different friends coming over that can try and feed your dog food or pretend to attack you...but you'd want to secure your dog. I scared a few friends into the house once with a demonstration :D Really, the attack training is better at the school, imo. They have tools to advance training.

Hope to see new students at school! Weekly classes are Saturdays at the Tlajomulco campus at 9:30 a.m. Some are starting with basic training then moving on to guard and protection, which takes place at the end of class. Come and watch a class or see some of the owners dogs if curious. I've only seen the larger dogs on that campus so thinking the smaller dogs may go to the Marion Otero location. We aren't there every week but hopefully will meet you there sometime! :)

We use the Wolf's campus in Tlajomulco. The campus is rural, like home.
Carretera Guadalajara-Cd Guzman KM 20,
Tlajomulco de Zuniga,
01 (33) 3796-1329

Oh my gosh, thanks for the COMPLETE answer. We have a dobe female who is nearly 3 years old. She has always been a nervous nelly but the dog we rehomed with us (Lex, he was advertised here about a month ago) is a fairly staid, if juvenile, 18 month old dobe. I think he would be perfect for personal protection training. He needs some more time with us before we even consider having him trained. Like you we live out in the boonies, in Riberas, but with no home phone line and empty lots all around us. I really believe in dogs as loyal friends and protectors and therefore am looking in that direction to keep us safe (and, as I mentioned before, an electric fence).

Thanks so very much for all the info and the videos.

All obedience classes you train your own dog w/others & the trainer trains the owners how to handle and correct their own dog, 99% is owner training & handling during weekly classes. When you board a dog it does not mean they forget who you are or will prefer the trainer to you.

I haven't been to class in weeks & the owner/trainer wanted to see if my dog had lost or advanced. We secured him to a tree and the guard and protection training began. He was better than ever and had advanced in absence of class. I could tell during our absence of class that he was as I can see how he watches while we walk. We daily will go over exercises we've learned in class.

lakeheron, You may be pleasantly surprised by taking your dog to obedience school. Get him started & then later you could evaluate whether he would qualify for the guard & protection training. The dog will respond better to you by attending classes, guaranteed, I don't think waiting will help.

• 2 years later...

"I don't give a darn but on recent topics advertising seems to be forbidden. Just wondering, rules appear unclear."

Apparently, you do care that this three-year-old thread was resurrected by someone asking a question about where to locally have a dog trained. If you consider the response to the OP "advertising" then by your standard no one on this board could post recommendations and reviews of any business.

Had the business opened up a thread and advertised itself, that would not be permitted.

If customers recommend a business and post information about it in response to questions raised on a thread, that's OK.

It is also OK for a business to respond to questions or requests for information here.

Obedience classes with Art Hess are given on Sundays at Free spirit play park in San Antonio. Art is a positive trainer and does a very good job with you and the dog,

Archived