Chapala.com Webboard

Pot Roast meat, like Chuck - where to buy?

HelperGuy

Guest RevImmigrant

Don't know the name in Spanish, but if you will go to a meat market where they cut the meat when you order it, you could get one.

The butcher in SJC diagonally across from Viva Mexico was a butcher in the US. He will know what you want and cut to order.

Is he still there? The last time I stopped by, there was a new woman and I got the impression that she took over the store.

Chuck section includes part of neck, shoulder blades and upper ribs.

Paleta is generic for chuck but 'en trozos' = chuck arm, 'corazon' = shoulder, 'flecha' or 'diezmillo' (towards ribs from blade), de planchuela = top blade, 'de juil' = mock tender steak.

Personally I never knew variety of chuck cuts NOB. Each butcher locally will have different take on each cut. Surprise??

Best is to ask to see piece of meat and determine if you like it for your purposes. Look at primal cut and ask for your amount. 1 kg, 1/2, 2??? Otherwise you may get something that has already been used for thin slices.

OK, I'm confused too. I just ask my grass fed guy to do me right. Has worked for me.

Chuck section includes part of neck, shoulder blades and upper ribs.

Paleta is generic for chuck but 'en trozos' = chuck arm, 'corazon' = shoulder, 'flecha' or 'diezmillo' (towards ribs from blade), de planchuela = top blade, 'de juil' = mock tender steak.

Personally I never knew variety of chuck cuts NOB. Each butcher locally will have different take on each cut. Surprise??

Best is to ask to see piece of meat and determine if you like it for your purposes. Look at primal cut and ask for your amount. 1 kg, 1/2, 2??? Otherwise you may get something that has already been used for thin slices.

OK, I'm confused too. I just ask my grass fed guy to do me right. Has worked for me.

In Canada, we have a whole buncha different names for parts of the cow than they do in the U.S. I used to ask butchers for the filet (mignon) on our family winter vacations in Florida, and got all kinds of different parts. But never got the narrow, round piece that I would cut, butterfly, and wrap in a piece of bacon for that most tender of steak.

From the time they are just calves, beef on the hoof in Mexico, fight daily to survive. Our local calves are faced with the added burden of surviving at a mile above sea level and that presents an even greater problem Some resourceful cattle ranchers select the prime from within their herd and send them off for advanced schooling. Those that graduate are then usually selected for export to the U.S. where they usually obtain the designation USDA AAA. Obviously they're never heard of again hereabouts! This report that you're reading makes about as much sense as most of what is shown previously herein. Probably you're best off going to the well know (and friendly, skilled, accommodating butcher in San Juan Cosala (opposite and east on a diagonal from the restaurant Viva Mexico) and ask an expert (the butcher) to alleviate your concerns by providing the cuts you need! However, it you want steaks that are equal in quality to what you are used to NOB then shop at Costco and don't complain about the price.

Must have talked to a foreign butcher. Any (real) butcher knows Filet Mignon, cut from the tenderloin.

You'd think. I went to two butcher shops and two senior butchers at local grocery stores. All locals, no foreigners. I did this twice over two winters. I gave up.

But it's understandable: look at these differences between the U.S. and Canadian parts of a T-bone:

1. The T-bone and porterhouse are steaks of beef cut from the short loin and including a T-shaped bone with meat on each side: the larger is a strip steak and the smaller a tenderloin steak. The strip is also called a New York.

2. In British usage, followed in Commonwealth countries (except Canada), only the strip loin side is called the porterhouse, and the tenderloin side is called the fillet. The porterhouse is never called a New York.

In the U.S. in the cow country where I spent my time up there, filet mignon was some New York way to prepare the cut of beef we called the TENDERLOIN. I think it (filet mignon) has to have mashed potatoes and asparragus arranged in some fancy way to reach that status.

T-bone was sirloin on top, tenderloin on the bottom...the bigger the tenderloin...BINGO...porterhouse.

That's the way it was in the Sand Hills, Cherry County, the Beef State, USA.

Can't imagine anyone ordering filet mignon in a restaurant beween Valentine, NE and the Wyoming border.

As mentioned above

'Some resourceful cattle ranchers select the prime from within their herd and send them off for advanced schooling. Those that graduate are then usually selected for export to the U.S. where they usually obtain the designation USDA AAA.'

Feedlots NOB (and along border in Sonora, Chihuahua)LOVE Mexican calves. They gain much faster and are cheaper than NOB calves. Stressfull childhood...Go figure.

'Advanced schooling' means confined in feedlots, fed high carbo diet along with antibiotics, Clembuterol, etc. Personally, I prefer locally produced grass fed. Saves all the freight to NOB, slaughter and then freight to return to Costco, etc. Big carbon footprint. Besides, I just like the taste/texture of local stuff.

BTW....filete mignon comes from the backstrap (tenderloin), a long round muscle on top of ribs. Usually weighs about 1.5 kgs. I buy a whole one and have butcher butterfly it. Comes out round like NOB. Does go well with mashed potatoes and asparragus.

T Bone and Porterhouse come frome same part of animal with Porterhouse being at the larger end of the cut. Size is difference as both have 'T' bone configuration.

And now I have another post toward not being a 'newbie!'

Remembering something interesting from my time spent up north for you beefeaters.

Cattlemens' (U.S.) preferred cut was the T-bone. Johnny Hrupek's famous restaurant in the stockyards (at that time, the largest in the world) of South Omaha, NE, where most cattlemen (breeders and feeders) ate, sold more T-bones (and porterhouses) than all of the other steak offerings combined that were on the menu. Here in Mexico, it seems like the rib-eye steak is more popular or maybe the tenderloin. The Argentine style restaurants all around Mexico seem to push the Churrasco, which is top sirloin.

I agree with El Tio, that if you got good set of chompers, the grass fed beef has a good flavor and is probably much healthier for you. My father is rolling in his grave right now, for me saying that, as for him it had to be corn fed, well marbled beef.

Archived