Chapala.com Webboard

Light Summer Meals

Betsy

Yesterday I went to El Botete restaurant/seafood market and bought some fresh shucked oysters . I got a whole quart for $200.00 . I brought in the containers a few days ago and told him what I wanted, he buys oysters on Thursdays. They were not very salty but they made a good oyster stew, I make it with milk, not cream. With that I made a fruit salad of Strawberries and cantaloupe, very good right now.

What are your favorite hot weather meals to make at home? I don't cook beef or pork and have little imagination when it comes to food...ideas?

Go up the street by the bus station, turn right (on Juarez) at the first stop sign (where the fabric store is) . The restaurant / market is 1/2 block on the right. Parking on Juarez is usually scarce , you will have better luck on Flavio Romero and even better when they finish the work on the main street with the parking meters.

When I run out of ideas, I go to Epicurious.com. Here are a few of their numerous offerings that I have tried with success:

Summer Salad w/ Apricots, pistachios and almond soft fried eggs

Endive and Snap Pea Salad w/ Parmesan cheese

Tuna Tonnato w/ Eggplant Salad

Honeydew Salad Plate

Lobster, Corn, Zucchini & Basil Salad

Pickled Beet & Herring Salad

Rustic Chicken Salad

Tomato & Fennel & Watercress Salad

Tuscan Tomato Bread Salad

Watermelon, Red Onion and Feta Salad (w/ pine nuts, etc.)and Balsamic vinaigrette

Chilled soups are also welcome on a hot May day!

Epicurious, Food and Wine, and Saveur are open to everyone. Fine Cooking and Cook's Illustrated require subscriptions for access to their recipes.

I have trouble figuring out food in the hot weather as well. But from the completely easy files....

A Shrimp Louie type salad.

Prosciutto and melon.

Ceviche! (tostadas or whatever)

Homemade Mango Sorbet (so good, so wicked, so easy)

Dusty Chicken Salad

Gazpacho (I'm not big on cold soups, but partner likes)

• 3 weeks later...

Lots of great suggestions here. The Chinese restaurant thread made me think of oriental noodle salad. This link is the recipe I sorta follow but I don't think I used that much oil, definitely use part sesame oil, use sliced almonds (not slivered) add sunflower seeds and toast the noodles a little...and use rice vinegar of course. Sounds like it would be good with some sliced "dusty Chikin" too!

The salad is way better the next day which is a perfect summer meal in my book. If I can prepare it in the morning when it's cool, then just pull it out of the fridge to eat...perfect!

http://www.food.com/recipe/crunchy-noodle-salad-award-winning-13683

I also make rice paper rolls like they have at simply Thai...so easy. I like to make them with bean sprouts which can be tricky to find really fresh ones....which brings me to...Anyone growing your own bean sprouts? How's that working out for ya? what kind of beans do you use...Soy, I imagine , but dried ones or what?

Thanks for all the great recipes!

California Veggie Salad

Ingredients

1/4 cup mayonnaise

3 cloves garlic, minced

1 tablespoon lemon juice

1/8 cup olive oil

1 cup sliced red bell peppers

1 small zucchini, sliced

1 red onion, sliced

1 small yellow squash, sliced

2 (4-x6-inch) focaccia bread pieces, split horizontally

1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese

Directions

In a bowl, mix the mayonnaise, minced garlic, and lemon juice. Set aside in the refrigerator.

Preheat the grill for high heat.

Brush vegetables with olive oil on each side. Brush grate with oil. Place bell peppers and zucchini closest to the middle of the grill, and set onion and squash pieces around them. Cook for about 3 minutes, turn, and cook for another 3 minutes. The peppers may take a bit longer. Remove from grill, and set aside.

Spread some of the mayonnaise mixture on the cut sides of the bread, and sprinkle each one with feta cheese. Place on the grill cheese side up, and cover with lid for 2 to 3 minutes. This will warm the bread, and slightly melt the cheese. Watch carefully so the bottoms don't burn. Remove from grill, and layer with the vegetables. Enjoy as open faced grilled sandwiches.

Sergio, the Sprouts Ajijic guy, sells many kinds of sprouts from imported certified organic seeds at the Tuesday market. The ones most suitable for the rolls are sunflower - juicy, crunchy, summery. But it's hard to find the more usual mung beans here to sprout, and he will be ordering/importing the organic ones. The sprouts (alfalfa and mung) sold in Walmart and sometimes at the Wednesday tianguis come from the Abastos market, where they arrive from an unknown destination (likely Mexico City) and are neither fresh nor organic and certainly not local.

Archived