Chapala.com Webboard

Black Coffee Gallery

Tingting

I like the place overall. The drinks are good and the atmosphere is cheerful, but there staff really don´t have a clue when it comes to customer service.

I´ve gone there many times and it´s always the same. You practically have to jump up and down for them to even notice you...and that´s only when they decide to interrupt the current gossip session. When they finally do, it takes a long time for them to get your drink. It doesn´t matter if you´re the only person in the building, it seems to take twice as long as it should just to get one drink.

Today I walked in and walked out. Why? Because I was the only one at the counter and no one wanted to acknowledge me. There was some young kid on the cash register immediately in front of me, but he never once looked up at me. He really gave the appearance that he didn´t want to be bothered or else he was too fascinated with the register keys. The manager was to my right and was giving instructions to another worker. Again, no one acknowledged me. It would have taken nothing for one of them to look up and say, in English or Spanish, "I´ll be right with you." Instead, they lost a sale.

I like the frozen drinks, so I´ll give them one last chance, but I´m not holding my breath that anything´s going to improve.

I have never had a problem there. They are always attentive and polite. Why not just go up to the counter and tell them what you would like? Do they have to acknowledge you first? When I walk into a store here, I always say "buenos dias" or "buenas tardes" and have never had the employees not greet me back. You have to remember that service is different than it is NOB. In most stores, they won't bother you until you ask them for help. Instead of walking out, or being rude -- which I see a lot from expats -- why not try being the first to greet them. Tell them what you want. But, do it without the hint of rudeness I so often hear.

You´re assuming I didn´t say anything. I DID. And this happens every time. I´m also polite. I don´t get ugly, etc, etc., but when I´m standing RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE STAFF and they neither respond nor acknowledge I´m there, then they have a problem.

I´m the customer. When I walk in, say Good morning (or whatever) and am made to feel that I´m interrupting a good gossip session or that waiting on me is too much work, then the customer service is lacking.

It´s still early days, so I hope they get their ducks in a row.

FWIW, I´m not some rube who´s fresh from the farm. I understand to say something when I walk in (and yes, I do speak Spanish). So, just because you´ve had a good experience doesn´t mean that my bad experience is due to a lack on my part.

I really think you've had the bad luck to get different shifts than I have. I've always had good, smiley service when I'm there but I suspect they have part-timers there & the ones I've had have been great. I hope they iron out the wrinkles & have good staff all the time but I'm hooked on the chai smoothies/frappes.

I've had both good and poor experiences there. In general there are too many employees doing nothing or just fiddling around. However the last time I was there I simply walked to the register and ordered. My espresso was made promtly and I was pleased! IMHO they have the best espresso around.

I use Black Coffee, whenever I see them, and I have been satified, I like their coffee better than the Star brand as it cools down it does not get bitter, also the local staff has been in training and are now more efficient..and I still go to the 2 Coffee places in my neighborhood too

You´re assuming I didn´t say anything. I DID. And this happens every time. I´m also polite. I don´t get ugly, etc, etc., but when I´m standing RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE STAFF and they neither respond nor acknowledge I´m there, then they have a problem.

I´m the customer. When I walk in, say Good morning (or whatever) and am made to feel that I´m interrupting a good gossip session or that waiting on me is too much work, then the customer service is lacking.

It´s still early days, so I hope they get their ducks in a row.

FWIW, I´m not some rube who´s fresh from the farm. I understand to say something when I walk in (and yes, I do speak Spanish). So, just because you´ve had a good experience doesn´t mean that my bad experience is due to a lack on my part.

I really didn't mean to assume, but your original post mentioned nothing at all about your engaging them in any way other than standing at/near the counter. I just see so many people down here complaining that don't make any effort at all (not saying that you don't, I didn't mean for it to come off that way in my first response).

And they are a new store. It will take awhile for the crews to learn to work well together and smoothly.

Guest RevImmigrant

Yes, I like the coffee too at Black Coffee Gallery much better than Starbucks, which is way too strong for my tastes. I've never had problems being served at any of them I've been to.

I like the place overall. The drinks are good and the atmosphere is cheerful, but there staff really don´t have a clue when it comes to customer service.

I´ve gone there many times and it´s always the same. You practically have to jump up and down for them to even notice you...and that´s only when they decide to interrupt the current gossip session. When they finally do, it takes a long time for them to get your drink. It doesn´t matter if you´re the only person in the building, it seems to take twice as long as it should just to get one drink.

Today I walked in and walked out. Why? Because I was the only one at the counter and no one wanted to acknowledge me. There was some young kid on the cash register immediately in front of me, but he never once looked up at me. He really gave the appearance that he didn´t want to be bothered or else he was too fascinated with the register keys. The manager was to my right and was giving instructions to another worker. Again, no one acknowledged me. It would have taken nothing for one of them to look up and say, in English or Spanish, "I´ll be right with you." Instead, they lost a sale.

I like the frozen drinks, so I´ll give them one last chance, but I´m not holding my breath that anything´s going to improve.

Maybe because it's a chain as opposed to a locally owned and operated cafe, like Grano, Miky's, the new one in the Ajijic plaza, David's, etc. I'd rather spend my pesos in one of those places than sending them to Guadalajara or wherever those chain stores come from. JMHO.

Guest RevImmigrant

I don't think the coffee at this one's as good as the one on Prol. Lopez Mateos. I had some coffee there the other day that was incredibly strong. I had to ask for some water to make it where I could drink it. I don't know why these places make such strong coffee. What happened to good clear coffee like I made and my mother made?

I don't think the coffee at this one's as good as the one on Prol. Lopez Mateos. I had some coffee there the other day that was incredibly strong. I had to ask for some water to make it where I could drink it. I don't know why these places make such strong coffee. What happened to good clear coffee like I made and my mother made?
Just like art & music, coffee is a personal choice. We are from Seattle, Starbucks land. Nothing better than a VERY strong cup of coffee in the morning. IMHO

Guest RevImmigrant

I grew up on good clear Norwegian coffee. This is what my mother made and I make at home. This is what I like, not very strong coffee. By the way, I've been to Norway twice and never had a bad cup of coffee there. However, the coffee in Germany tends to be much stronger than I like and the coffee in Poland is a disaster - they don't filter the grinds. And I don't even want to think about Turkish coffee and expresso.

It really is a personal taste issue. RevImmigrant's "Good clear Norwegian coffee" sounds like something I wouldn't even want to look at, much less drink. An oxymoron.

FWIW, the fellow who owns/runs "El Faraon" in Riberas does an interesting little shot of espresso that he calls, I think, Egyptian coffee. Tasty. At home, it's Chiapas Tueste Frances from Cafe Grano for me. Haven't yet tried Black Coffee Gallery, but looked at the pretty space. It all feels a bit too formula for me, but I'm glad others enjoy it.

I ordered a double Espresso at a new Starbucks in my town NOB. The Barista was new and looked me with a puzzled expression, "you want just a double shot?" she exclaimed. I said, "Yes. By the way, do you what thats called in Europe?" She shook her head no. "Coffee," I said.

Update: since my original posting, I´ve been back twice. Both times the customer service was excellent. I was immediately acknowledged with ¨Good morning¨ and a smile. My drinks were made promptly and the gossip sessions were gone. I´m really pleased to see that the complaints were taken seriously. I´ll definitely be back.

Archived