Chapala.com Webboard

Looking for Savory

HelperGuy

Ha. I was in Wal-Mart yesterday looking for Salvia (Sage). I could not find it. But looking for a spice in that store makes one dizzy...a handful of different brands next to each other, not really in any apparent order. Then there's the second area of "Specialty" spices over by the produce.

So I was working the "S"'s pretty hard. I could swear I saw something that said "Savory", but don't hold me to it. My eyes were spinning.

There are different types of savory and is not easy to find at stores here, must of the savory is home grown here, Maybe at the Viveros you might find it.

Savory has a strong aromatic flavour, which could be compared to thyme or common strain of epazote, both with a little touch of mint and i have some of them at Ninette, you can have some of it any time for sure!

Ajedrea is the name in spanish ;)

Buen provecho,

Oscar Perez Nafarrate S.

El Jardin de Ninette

tel 766 49 05

Musta looked right at it and missed. Good news: found dried epazote at SuperLake while looking. For my Sopa Azteca.

Unfortunately, epazote loses all its flavor when dried. You want fresh, and once you know what the plant looks like, you can keep an eye out for it--it grows wild at Lakeside. Google 'epazote image' and you'll see its deep green, saw-toothed leaves. Then watch for it growing out of cracks along Lakeside streets--it's free for the cutting, and you only need a little.

According to Wikipedia, both summer savory and winter savory are native to warm temperate regions. http://en.wikipedia....ory_%28genus%29 So one would assume that the Ontario savory grows in the summer. And also safe to assume it was transplanted at some point from its native location, like so many things that grow.

Also, using "b" for "v" here in spelling is pretty common.

What I discovered on that webpage really has me interested: in the garden, we have a blossoming bush that the hummingbirds and orioles just love, and it looks like this: 220px-Satureja_mexicana_2.jpg

known as Satureja Mexicana, which is apparently a type of savory. This is a huge bush; the red blossoms never open beyond what you see in the photo. I'd eally like to find out about this. I'll be sniffing the leaves tomorrow, er, uh, checking the leaves to see if they match the picture.

Archived