Chapala.com Webboard

White Tile Stains in Shower

Fiat Lux

Our shower stall is tiled with what I assume to typical low-fire glazed red tiles. A white blushing stain is appearing on the tile wherever the water gets to it.

I have already done the following:

1. Treated the affected area with dilute muriatic acid which seemed to remove the stains completely.

2. Sealed the entire surface tiles, grout and all with an acrylic sealer, two coats. This is heavy duty stuff, def not porous in any way, dried cured and ready to go.

3. Three days later the stains are back as before. It appears the stains are on the surface of the acrylic and not leaching out from the tile under the sealer.

Any ideas how to remove the gunk and stop the problem from re-occuring?

Thanks!

I bet its calcium from the hard water around here. A water softener would help, but you can also just clean it regularly with a strong product like the muriatic acid. I use BAM in a spray bottle. The purple bottle with the orange lid is good at taking this off. It is corrosive too so you have to be careful about how long you leave it on, and what you use it on.

Pure vinegar should work wonders and better for you and the environment, not having to work with such a caustic product with fumes which can affect your eyes, and lungs and potential skin burns. Much cheaper as well. Although you may have burned in the stains into the tiles, with the acid. Just wipe down with 100% vinegar, wet paper towels with vinegar and spread accross all times; rewet if necessary.

Archived