Chapala.com Webboard

Sopa Azteca recipe?

Betsy

I really like tortiilla soup the way that AjijicTango makes it. I have been looking at recipes but there are so many variations andI I am no good at recipe cloning....There are some very accomplished cooks here, anyone like to share? We like it tomatoey and firey....thanks!

I have a book called "mod mex", it's by an american chef who owns a restaurant called "dos caminos" in new york. I find his recipes to be very easy and well balanced. His Sopa azteca recipe is to die for. European methodology for mexican cooking is the way to go.

I have the book in my restaurant "Lake Taco". If you come by, you can copy it anytime.

This is from the chef at La Nueva Posada, with a couple of variations I've added. A secret kick is to add 1/2 can of condensed tomato soup and some sour cream while cooking, to add a little thickness... although not too much. And the magic of sopa azteca is that as you eat, the toppings begin to add more flavour and thickening, so by the time you get to the bottom of the bowl, it's truly a great experience. (Note that this recipe does not include the ingredient: epazote, which is the Mexican herb required to make it "authentic".)

Sopa Azteca by Lorraine Russo © 2006

La Nueva Posada

For 12 people

Ingredients:

• 8 cups chicken broth
  • 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 2 cups chopped onion
  • 4 cups chopped tomato (pera or roma) (Saladeta)
    • I use canned diced tomatos.

[*]☺Toast a pasillo, negro, or ancho chile, and blenderize tomatos and chile

[*]4 tsp. of butter for frying

[*]1 cup any tomato sauce

[*]1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

[*]½ tsp. white pepper (if no white pepper, a little black pepper; too much burns the back of the throat)

[*]1 tsp. sugar

[*]24 corn tortillas cut into pieces and fried in hot oil until golden (or buy a bag of strips at WalMart in the tostada section)

[*]6 tbsp. sour cream

[*]½ can of condensed tomato soup, to supercharge the flavour (my own addition: illegal but delicious)

• 6 ripe avocados
    • ½ cup chopped onion
    • 1 cup crumbled queso fresco
    • Strips or rings of guajillo chile for decoration
    • Sour cream

Preparation:

1. Brown the garlic, onion and tomato and butter in a saucepan.
  2. To the chicken broth, add the tomato sauce, chicken broth, pepper, sugar, sour cream and Worcestershire sauce.
  3. Add the garlic/onion/tomato reduction to the broth.
  4. Simmer on low for 1 hour.
  5. To serve, place a handful of tortilla chips in a large bowl, add 4 or 5 slices of avocado, onion and cheese. Add the broth and top with a dollop of cream above.

See also the recent thread here: http://www.chapala.c...ca&fromsearch=1

I was in Superlake yesterday and saw theese really huge, deep red red red tomatos that got me thinking about making sopa azteca. There were only a few of theese tomatos left and they were all soft so I didn;t buy them....has anyone tried them and are they as good as they look?

Thanks for the recipes guys, nueva Posada is my other favorite...I can;t believe you have the recipe!

If you want tomatoes so good they will break your heart, stop by the Ecco-T on Tuesday but get there by 10:30 because they go fast.

I have a recipe from one of Rick Bayless' cookbooks that calls for both epazote and avocado leaves. And no tomato soup!

I was in Superlake yesterday and saw theese really huge, deep red red red tomatos that got me thinking about making sopa azteca. There were only a few of theese tomatos left and they were all soft so I didn;t buy them....has anyone tried them and are they as good as they look?

Thanks for the recipes guys, nueva Posada is my other favorite...I can;t believe you have the recipe!

The recipe from La Nueva Posada calls for saladet tomatoes--those are AKA romas, not big round tomatoes.

I've always wondered if the terms "Sopa Azteca" and "Tortilla Soup" were interchangable....and Betsy's shift from the topic subject to the first line of her post reminds me of that nagging question. I guess they are?

(Nice post of that recipe, HelperGuy, and thanks to fergarcia from the yummy Lake Taco for the offer of the other version.)

I've never tried the Sopa Azteca at the Nueva Posada or Tango. But I do love the soup. The version offered at Danny's on the Carretera in Ajijic is always satisfying.

Betsy: Those large, dark red tomatoes at Superlake were even better than they looked! If not cherokee purples, definitely the next best thing. I was able to retrieve 5 reasonably ripe ones and wish I had purchased the whole lot for soups, roasted tomatoes, etc., etc.

Archived