Chapala.com Webboard

Soy Margarine - Vegan Margarine

ichbinsaege

I used to really like that soy margarine too, but have not seen it here.

As an aside, I found delicious textured soy chorizo at WM that is really really good. Really good.

Wish there was a good health food store here, maybe in Guad. . .

Where in WM? People always state they find soy things there and I never can!

Yes, there may be whey or lactose in margarine, but I have to wonder why anyone would actually choose to eat any kind of margarine at all? Read on:

This is interesting . .. .

Margarine was originally manufactured to fatten turkeys When it killed the turkeys, the people who had put all the money into the research wanted a payback so they put their heads together to figure out what to do with this product to get their money back.

It was a white substance with no food appeal so they added the yellow coloring and sold it to people to use in place of butter.

How do you like it? They have come out with some clever new flavorings..

DO YOU KNOW.. The difference between margarine and butter?

Both have the same amount of calories.

Butter is slightly higher in saturated fats at 8 grams; compared to 5 grams for margarine.

Eating margarine can increase heart disease in women by 53% over eating the same amount of butter, according to a recent Harvard Medical Study.

Eating butter increases the absorption of many other nutrients in other foods.

Butter has many nutritional benefits where margarine has a few and only because they are added!

Butter tastes much better than margarine and it can enhance the flavors of other foods.

Butter has been around for centuries where margarine has only been around for 100 years.

And now, for Margarine..

Very High in Trans fatty acids.

Triples risk of coronary heart disease .

Increases total cholesterol and LDL (this is the bad cholesterol) and lowers HDL cholesterol, (the good cholesterol)

Increases the risk of cancers up to five times..

Lowers quality of breast milk.

Decreases immune response.

Decreases insulin response.

And here's the most disturbing fact..

Margarine shares 27 ingredients with PAINT

These facts alone were enough to have me avoiding margarine for life and anything else that is hydrogenated (this means hydrogen is added, changing the molecular structure of the substance).

You can try this yourself:

Purchase a tub of margarine and leave it open in your garage or shaded area. Within a couple of days you will notice a couple of things:

* no flies, not even those pesky fruit flies will go near it (that should tell you something)

* it does not rot or smell differently because it has no nutritional value ; nothing will grow on it. Even those teeny weeny microorganisms will not a find a home to grow. Why? Because it is nearly plastic . Would you melt your Tupperware and spread that on your toast?

Pass the BUTTER PLEASE

This 'vegan hysteria' is raising its head again among USA ladies and is now finding its way here. Those of us who eat normally would really like to see a separate category for "Vegans and Vegetarians" before they take over the 'Cocina' part of this forum. My own daughter has become one of these fanatics and is now unable to discuss anything else. I have to ignore her! Even changing the topic when replying to her letters doesn't seem to help. Ugh!

Agree with HG, margarine is only one molecule away from plastic and I haven't eaten it in maybe 25 years. Butter is healthier, and even more healthy is olive oil with a little rock salt instead of butter.

Saege007 - the Chorizo Vegetariano is over in the deli section, the place where the people serve up prepared foods. If facing those servers, the chorizo is all the way over to the left in the reach-in case. Of course, that was then and this is now! It may be in the shoe department for all I know.

Hahaha, RVG, you made me laugh. I am a hysterical vegan (90%), like your daughter, and we are quite happy with our fanaticism, thank you very much. You see. . .RVG. . .there is some compelling evidence that eating a plant based diet may help one avoid those little titanium doohickys that you have in your coronary arteries. I'm hoping to avoid ALL that, the stress test, the Heparin/Coumadin, the procedure, the follow up, the possibility of having to do it again, and. . .ummmmm. . .the possibility of never getting up off the gurney by myself. Ever again!

Know what I mean, jellybean?

Here's the thing, I'm not vegan. I just like a lot of vegan recipes I used to cook when I was vegan. I'm not anymore due to health issues.

essentially soy margarine is not margarine. It's a soy based, animal free, butter. However, it is different from soy butter, which is like peanut butter, but with soybeans.

Archived