Chapala.com Webboard

MotorCycle license rules in Mexico

GeckoGretchen

Hi Gretchen,

Hopefully the poster Intercasa will see this, as he's not only a bi-lingual lawyer, but also rides a motorcycle, I think. If not, I'm sure you can contact him at his office. Someone will have the info, phone number, etc. In the meantime, asking a motorcycle cop is a good idea. But I'm not sure what your question is. There is definitely a special class of license for motorcycles. A motorcycle license costs $239 MXP. If you feel like test-driving your Spanish, you can read about it on the Jalisco State Website: :D

http://www.jalisco.g...pMS0RTRjM2ODI!/

Hmmm. For some reason, I can't link directly to the page on how to get a license to drive a motorcycle. If you go to the above link, in the "buscar" box, just put in a search for licencia de motociclista. Then it will list various options, one of which is for a new license.

If a visiting foreigner already has a motorcycle class license from their home country, I would assume it would be honored here, just like a regular foreign driver's license. My guess is the "rules of the road" here are the same whether you're driving a car or motorcycle, but I don't know that for sure. Maybe there's an oft-ignored helmet law by now, among other special rules. That website link above also includes some available pdf files of all the driving laws of Jalisco, more than everything you would need to know, and a truly painful read.

Rules are same as for cars except I recall no lane splitting and you need to wear a helmet as well as drive on the extreme right.

• 1 year later...

What motorcycles are available in Mexico, especially in the Lake Chapala/Ajijic/Guadalajara area? Can you suggest dealerships? Any sidecars? I have heard that machines have to be from within Mexico to be able to stay there full time.

Is insurance costly or does it depend on the cc's?

Thanks, I ride year around in Canada I would like to continue in this location too!

What motorcycles are available in Mexico, especially in the Lake Chapala/Ajijic/Guadalajara area? Can you suggest dealerships? Any sidecars? I have heard that machines have to be from within Mexico to be able to stay there full time.

Is insurance costly or does it depend on the cc's?

Thanks, I ride year around in Canada I would like to continue in this location too!

Tio Corp quoted me $350 per year for liability. Not cheap by U.S. standards but I'm still looking around. May be able to find an auto insurance policy when I switch plates that includes a motorcycle, if I have one by then.

I've never seen such wreckless cycle riders before. When they are involved in accidents along the carretera it never surprises me.

Hey they may be reckless but they're not likely to be wreckless for long.....

Driving on the extreme right when you're following someone in a car is a bad idea. Safe riding practice is to position yourself so they can see you clearly in the driver's side rear view mirrors.

Passing on the right is an invitation to become road kill.

• 3 months later...

Tio Corp quoted me $350 per year for liability. Not cheap by U.S. standards but I'm still looking around. May be able to find an auto insurance policy when I switch plates that includes a motorcycle, if I have one by then.

This is about the same as for my 250 in Canada,

Thanks Maincoons

• 5 years later...

Archived