Chapala.com Webboard

Anyone brewing your own beer?

JustCurious

If you are brewing your own beer and would like to be interviewed for a magazine article coming out in April, please post a note here and I'll send a PM or you can PM me.

There's a few home brewers around already, and I'm trying to find others!

I'd also like to hear from anyone who might be interested in home brewing if supplies were available in this area.

Just Curious

Yep, I've interviewed Fernando and Ana at El Figon and got a lot of information from them.

I've also interviewed one group lakeside, one individual brewer lakeside, one potential 'business' home brewer lakeside, gone to El Deposito in Guad and will be making the rounds in Guad including the Beer Lounge.

Actually, the 'findings' have been pretty interesting so far in the informal expansion of the Mexican home-brewers, which is partly where El Figon gets their wide variety of beer.

Thanks for the leads and I'd appreciate any others!

Just Curious!

Forgot to mention it, but doesn't one of the Tall Boys home brew?

As I understand it from some of the Micro brewers in Guad, the big brewers are the only place to purchase malted barley. There is no independent source. Also I know of no supplier of malt syrup for home brewers. When I brewed here I brought down Alexanders malt syrup and my own hops from Birdwell's in Houston. I sold all my mashing equipment for mashing when I left the USA. I am sure someone could import pallets of malted barley from Western in the USA.

• 3 years later...

Cheesehead, whose craft brews are some of the most interesting and adventurous in all of Lakeside, is a leading expert on getting supplies locally. (I still bring mine down from NOB twice a year for our small group.)

Craft brewing is beginning to take off big time here in Mexico as more younger Mexicans recognize that really good beer is the stuff you make yourself (or buy from a reliable brew pub or craft brewer) rather the swill from the local deposito.

Elba Copado, a biochemist and co-owner of the now defunct (I think) Beer Lounge in Guad, is at the forefront of the home brew movement in Mexico and holds beer-making workshops nationwide. She can be found on Facebook and her page is often a good source of information on what is happening in the craft beer community in Mexico.

Archived