Chapala.com Webboard

where to find essential oils

lakeside101

• 1 year later...

I, too, am looking for some quality Essential Oils. Did you find them at Zen Seed?

Thanks,

Valerie :)

LOL Bennie, I truly don't know....I am looking at some home recipes for various cleaning products and they require "quality" essential oils such as lavender, rosemary, eucalyptus, etc. I need several drops of different scents to make these cleaners.

They go out of their way in the articles to stress "quality" essential oils...I don't have a clue...Definitely a newbie to this.

Maybe someone here on the Board with more knowledge and experience can chime in here.

Thanks,

Valerie :)

Puritan Pride sells essential oils and a good variety of them.

If you keep your order below $50 there is no duty.

We order and use Sol y Luna to their Laredo address. We pay 1/2 the value of the product ordering and it works out cheaper than having it sent international.

I think essential oils are distilled. They are super concentrated and you only need a few drops. I bet local spas and massage therapists would have them or would know where to find them.

i dint have a clue of what "distilled" oils are. maybe google will know? but if you just need a few drops for scent try almond oil. aciete almendres is 12 pesos @ christina. it s little plastic bottle. it is also good for dry skin.

now i see. for cleaning, the oils have to be a bit astrigent (?) there is a good websight called ehow. i have found info about the most obsure things, plus instructions.

essential oils are used in many things. They have many healing properties. I know I saw them somewhere down here, but I can't recall where. I still have a bunch I brought down with me from the States. They are used in cleaners, soaps, candles, lotions, etc.

Hi Bennie,

They are also used for baths, in massage oils, in candles and some can be used as flavoring. As you would use an extract. I used to know more about how they are produced. It's probably rattling around somewhere in here! I think that the plant oils are extracted using distillation.

I also haven't had much luck finding good quality essential oils and mostly order from iherb.com (delivery to Mexico takes around 4-5 weeks).

But there is a small organic store in Guadalajara where I have seen some http://www.tiendasentidocomun.com/product/aceite-escencial-de-eucalipto/, they also have neem and might be very open in helping to find others, the owner is very talkative, also always answers in their facebook page and has lots of contacts with local suppliers.

The rest essential oils I've seen does not really look not on the quality side but proclaim themselves as aromatherapy, so there should be some part of essence in the oils :) For example, there's a store in Guadalajara center, a little bit further from Teatro Degollado, Les Sens and apart from refillable perfumes they carry a big variety of essential oils - Vert Foret, here are some pictures http://www.lessens.com.mx/PrincipalLsNs.html. I use peppermint and eucalyptus oil from there for cleaning.

There is a new Aromatherapy store right next door to SuperLake. I went in just to see if they had essential oils. They do and they have a wide variety of them. I'm sorry I did not price them, I did not think of that until I got home.

It is a very nice store and the two ladies there were very helpful. Hope this helps everyone looking for essential oils.

Between SuperLake and the liquor store.

Can someone please explain what makes an oil essential? I know that some vegetable oils are essential to the manufacture of soaps, detergents, shampoos, body creams, etc., and that others are lubricants essential to the continued operation of moving mechanical parts. However, what does putting them in tiny bottles do that makes cheap oils so very expensive?

From Wikipedia:

An essential oil is a concentrated hydrophobic liquid containing volatile aroma compounds from plants. Essential oils are also known as volatile oils,ethereal oils or aetherolea, or simply as the "oil of" the plant from which they were extracted, such as oil of clove. An oil is "essential" in the sense that it carries a distinctive scent, or essence, of the plant. Essential oils do not form a distinctive category for any medical, pharmacological, or culinary purpose.

Essential oils are generally extracted by distillation. Steam distillation is often used. Other processes include expression or solvent extraction. They are used in perfumes, cosmetics, soaps and other products, for flavoring food and drink, and for adding scents to incense and household cleaning products.

Essential oils have been used medicinally in history. Medical applications proposed by those who sell medicinal oils range from skin treatments to remedies for cancer and often are based solely on historical accounts of use of essential oils for these purposes. Claims for the efficacy of medical treatments, and treatment of cancers in particular, are now subject to regulation in most countries.

As the use of essential oils has declined in evidence-based medicine, one must consult older textbooks for much information on their use.[1][2] Modern works are less inclined to generalize; rather than refer to "essential oils" as a class at all, they prefer to discuss specific compounds, such as methyl salicylate, rather than "oil of wintergreen".[3][4]

Interest in essential oils has revived in recent decades with the popularity of aromatherapy, a branch of alternative medicine that claims that essential oils and other aromatic compounds have curative effects. Oils are volatilized or diluted in a carrier oil and used in massage, diffused in the air by anebulizer, heated over a candle flame, or burned as incense.

The earliest recorded mention of the techniques and methods used to produce essential oils is believed to be that of Ibn al-Baitar (1188–1248), anAndalusian physician, pharmacist and chemist.[5]

sooo, the almond oil @ christinas & guad pharm IS an essential oil. so is olive oil, ricino (caster), flax seed/all nut oils oil, garlic oil as well.

That is what I thought; simply oil of whatever plant. The rest is just hype and you might as well avoid the tiny bottles and fancy names. If you want oil of olive, coconut, etc., buy them in the large jug. You can add your own perfumes, if you want to modify the scent. I guess the essence of the experience is in the choice of the person rubbing it on. :)

Archived