Chapala.com Webboard

Chinese Rest. in Laguna Centro

hensley

Went last week with another couple and none of us finished our meals. lousy and I even asked the girl with no enthusiam if a dish was hot she said no, it was so hot I couldn't eat it.

Will never return.

Guest RevImmigrant

I was there shortly after it opened. It's on my list of one of the worst Chinese places I've ever been to anywhere, which includes one in Darmstadt; Alanya, Turkey (the food tasted like it was cooked in pots that weren't rinsed off properly and had a soapy taste), one that used to be here (Chung's). The one in front of Soriana isn't good either.

If you go to Guadalajara, the little Chinese place in Plaza Ciudadela (the one across from the Manhattan ice cream place) is good. And Qin in Plaza Gallerias is good too. The food court in Plaza Ciudadela is smaller and less noisy than in Plaza Gallerias. They're both about as good as you're going to get here (unless I cook it myself). Andares Mall has P.F. Chang's, but someone on Chowhound said they spent $80 USD for 2 people so I haven't been there (and won't go until my 2 handsome fellas, including the farm tiger, get good jobs)! I like hot and spicy so I prefer Sichuan and Hunan to Cantonese, although I do like dim sum.

The alleged Chinese Sunday food at Roberto's isn't bad. Not exactly authentic, but it evokes memories of Chinese. Best Asian food around here is probably Ricky's. Haven't tried the Thai place since the new chef arrived. Will report opinion on that after lunch on Wednesday.. On the other hand, our expectations of finding super Chinese food were low when we moved to Mexico. Reality check time, maybe?

Guest RevImmigrant

Gringal, you're probably right about the reality check, but hope springs eternal. Why is it we can't get one decent Chinese restaurant here when Berlin, which most people wouldn't think of as a hotbed of good Chinese restaurants, has several and a couple of Asian markets to die for? Even the small town where I lived on the German-Polish border had one that was excellent, as did Frankfurt-Oder.

Gringal, you're probably right about the reality check, but hope springs eternal. Why is it we can't get one decent Chinese restaurant here when Berlin, which most people wouldn't think of as a hotbed of good Chinese restaurants, has several and a couple of Asian markets to die for? Even the small town where I lived on the German-Polish border had one that was excellent, as did Frankfurt-Oder.

!??! Berlin has maybe a hundred times as many people and they on average have a much larger disposable income. Who would want to be in Germany at this time of year?

At least the Chinese food at Laguna is much better than at Soriana. I had Chinese take away from Laguna several times and it was pretty good.

I also tried the greaseball goo at the Laguna Centro, no need for gory details. I do have three questions: the people who run it appear to be Chinese, so why do they prepare such food which no one in China could even imagine in his worst nightmare? Does anyone speak Chinese well enough to ask them or get a sense of where exactly they are from? My hunch is that they came to Mexico from another part of Latin America and probably have never seen China, but what do I know?

Second, why do people speak well of Ricky's, which is pseudo-Japanese, not Thai, not Chinese, and pretty awful? Same with Min Wah, Mexican version of American Chinese.

Third, to Revimmigrant: there are several Manhattan ice cream places in Guadalajara - could you tell us where Plaza Ciudadela is please? Intersections or just the street?

About Cantonese: I spent 1/3 of my life despising it as blah until one of my students (from Hong Kong) took me on an eating spree and taught me that *real* Cantonese food is delicate, fresh (sometimes too fresh) and elegant - prepared well, it's a delight because texture and beauty are as important as taste. It has nothing to do with that 1960s small-town stuff that used to pass for Cantonese in the small towns of US and Canada.

Rev,

You've been complaining about this for a long time, since before you ever moved here. It's ridiculous to compare Germany to this area. For starters, it is 4,576 air miles between Berlin and Beijing, while it is 7,750 air miles between Mexico City and Beijing. You can drive from Berlin to Beijing--try that from Ajijic. Europe has a long and close relationship to China. Mexico, on the other hand, has had minimal historic trade with China.

Luisa

I was there shortly after it opened. It's on my list of one of the worst Chinese places I've ever been to anywhere, which includes one in Darmstadt; Alanya, Turkey (the food tasted like it was cooked in pots that weren't rinsed off properly and had a soapy taste), one that used to be here (Chung's). The one in front of Soriana isn't good either.

If you go to Guadalajara, the little Chinese place in Plaza Ciudadela (the one across from the Manhattan ice cream place) is good. And Qin in Plaza Gallerias is good too. The food court in Plaza Ciudadela is smaller and less noisy than in Plaza Gallerias. They're both about as good as you're going to get here (unless I cook it myself). Andares Mall has P.F. Chang's, but someone on Chowhound said they spent $80 USD for 2 people so I haven't been there (and won't go until my 2 handsome fellas, including the farm tiger, get good jobs)! I like hot and spicy so I prefer Sichuan and Hunan to Cantonese, although I do like dim sum.

Thanks for the info!!

Guest RevImmigrant

Saege is right; there is a Best Buy that fronts on Av. Patria. The food court is on the second level. There is an elevator, stairs and an escalator.

Guadalajara is a big city and yet it has no good true Chinese restaurants either since I've seen PF Changs described as Asian fusion rather than true Chinese. The distance to China is not what's important; it's what kind of food people want. By comparison, Guadalajara has more Argentine steakhouses and some Brazilian ones too (some of the Argentine steakhouses are very good too) and fewer restaurants with food from countries outside the Western Hemisphere, while Berlin has some Argentine steakhouses (Maredo, a chain, has excellent meat from Argentina), some really good Chinese restaurants and all kinds of international restaurants

Gringal, that's what the people said they spent, but not how much was for food and how much was for drinks. Perhaps they had alot of appetizers and the most expensive entrees on the menu plus drinks. It's been noted in other threads how high the mark-up on wine and liquor is in restaurants.

The people at the Chinese restaurant at Laguna Mall are Chinese. They live in San Juan Cosala but they come from Guangzhou (Canton) . We spoke with the girl...I can't remember her name...she speaks Chinese, some English but better Spanish. She is really lovely to talk to.

I don't know why that food sucks so bad, I'm sure they could do better if they were not cooking food that sits on a steam table all day.

We went to Min Wah yesterday ...this is Shrimp with lobster sauce...it looked like sewage sludge and tasted worse...no one could eat it. The soup was good though.

2hq9zb4.jpg

Yes the prices are high and there are very few dishes from there you would find in China, it is Disney´s Chinese food. Tasty and fatening yes authentic no more than the Chinese places in Guadalajara .

Betsy you win the contest for illustration of awful looking food, not matter what the nationality..

Ny cousin if French and she will cook you the worst French food you have ever tasted. Just like the French all Chinese are not born good cooks.

OK, all-a-y'all, there are now TWO--count'em--TWO honest Sichuan restaurants in all of Mexico City. And our population is what, 25 million? Here, just as in Guadalajara, Chinese is all about greasy overcooked no-flavor pseudo-Cantonese buffets--or PF Chang's.

In just a few weeks, Mexico Cooks! will tell you all about the latest addition to our two good Sichuan places. Not a place you'd ever find on your own, so far off the tourist path that we had to tiptop up to it. But. Suffice it to say that I ate the best deep fried green beans with garlic there that I have eaten anywhere. Ever.

You should all come visit.

Have to agree w/all of the comments on the Chinese at Laguna Centro.The first time I went there, the food was poor. Then, I went there a couple of weeks ago and there was barely any food available. The little that was there looked like it had been sitting for hours. There were only a few dishes available and there was no way I was going to pay for "food" that had that scummy, crusty look to it. I don´t know if the business just isn´t there and they´re cutting corners or if it´s just they don´t care. I won´t give them a 3rd chance. The difference between the place in Soriana´s and Laguna Centro is that the Soriana folks are friendly, give huge helpings, and really seem to appreciate your business. No, the food isn´t great, but I just consider it Chinese-style fast food.

"Chinese Style Fast Food". Yup. You nailed it. This is about expectations, and although I haven't eaten there,, the Soriana place has edible looking stuff of recent vintage.

I've been to the Laguna Mall lately to the Subway and that place is doing a brisk business. The Chinese joint is deserted. I expect its demise to be on the horizon.

In a summary kind of way.........what should a reasonable person expect around this small area? Well,, when I went to Min Wah, I saw a full out restaurant and I expected to get a good lunch of Chinese persuasion. Big disappointment. Expectations for a fast food joint? Pretty low. if it tastes fresh, i won't complain. Sure, Guadalajara, Berlin and San Franisco may have Chinese food to die for..........but this isn't the big city here, folks. Whimper.

Oooh, that is one nasty looking meal, Betsy! Sludge, with everything heavily coated in cornstarch. I've never liked Min Wah either.

Recently ate at PF Changs and enjoyed their gluten-free menu. Sure tasted good after not being able to eat Chinese for over a year. Had a long conversation with the waiter; think he said there were a couple of hundred PF Changs in the world - from Bangkok to Rhode Island. Amazing. He said the secret of their success was consistency. He also said they would have a new one open at Gallerias in July and one at the end of the year in PV.

Guest RevImmigrant

Gringal, I haven't found any Chinese food to die for in Guadalajara either, but the two little fast-food Chinese places I mentioned (Plaza Ciudadela and Plaza Gallerias) are at least good, the best I've seen around the Guadalajara-Lake Chapala area anyway. I haven't been to PF Changs and have only been in the Andares Mall once in Palacio de Hierro looking for parts for my WMF pressure cooker, which they did not have.

I had leftover Sichuan hotpot last night and, even leftover and reheated, it was far better than what you get around here. I used leftover rice in the broth instead of noodles after I ate the meat, not authentic, but that's what I had. And I make the ribs (for appetizers) in a big batch and freeze them so I can take one out when I want it. It was good too.

Since we're talking about Chinese, has anyone been to the Tai Spice at the new location? If so, is it good and what's on the menu there, prices, etc? Is it authentic Taiwan-style Chinese or do they cater to Mexican tastes, i.e. fried rice instead of white rice?

Trailrunner, while I don't doubt the veracity of the waiter, why would anyone go to PF Changs in Bangkok since they have a Chinatown there, not to mention tons of genuine Thai places (yes, I know it's different)? Maybe next they'll put on in Beijing!

Okay here's my take on Chinese food. The first time I went to the Chinese place in Laguna was the night I was leaving for California and didn't want to cook and mess up the kitchen. It was edible. Went back a few months later and again it was edible (took care of the Chinese craving) actually the chow mein was fresh and kinda good. Havent been back though. I've been Min Wah's three times. The first couple of times, the first time was pretty good but the second time was just soso. A couple of weeks ago friends invited me to Min Wah's and I had the sizzling rice soup. OMG it was wonderful and had enough left to take home for lunch the next day. So I think the bottom line is what appeals to one person, the next person may not like it. Be kinder to the restaurants here or anywhere as you can't please all the people all the time. By the way the worse Chinese food I've ever has was one time when I was living in San Francisco. Go figure.

Archived