Chapala.com Webboard

"Street food"

milned

Sons arriving soon for a visit. One especially likes trying local street stands or neighborhood fondas. I have seen Jessica's mentioned here, but do not know the location. Your favs with locations please.

Jessica is on the mountain side of the carratera in Ajijic. There is a parking lot just shortly past Prisa paint traveling west. If you look into the parking lot you will see Jessica on the left side of the lot behind a store. No sign, just tables in a roped off area. It opens at 7:00.

If you try to find it during the day you will see dish towels hanging over the rope.

The "no name cafe", sometimes called "the black door" is about as MX as you can get. It is on Hildago 1 1/2 blocks before Hildago ends at 6 corners, lakeside of the street. No sign and I don't even think there is a number. Monday night is the best time between 5 and 6pm. Generally has tamales on Monday night. Best in town, IMHO.

I think it is only open Monday, Tuesday and Saturday. Opens around 5 and closes when the food runs out.

I think the number is 93 or 95. Just look in the door. If you see tables and coolers, go in.

Pick up an order slip and mark the items you want, including the 'help yourself' items in the cooler.

Thanks Bisbee Gal for passing along my local food blog. We're arriving at Lakeside for a month tomorrow and I'm looking forward to visiting old favorite places. Would welcome suggestions on any new places worth visiting, as well as any closings I've missed, changes in hours, etc.

Kevin

San Antonio right on the southwest corner. The family is great and they have great food.

Monday and Wednesday Tianquis Rafa's Tacos are the best and he does tons of business we eat there every other week. In Ajijic he is located towards the bottom of the hill look for the red coke chairs. Monday in Chapala he is at the bottom of the hill turn right or west and same look for the red coke chairs. Excellent!

For sopes, tortas and tacos to die for, go to the Sunday tiangues at Ixtlahuacán de los Membrillos. About midway down there is a place that is only open on Sunday. It is run by the wife and family of a member of Psychostasia Rock band so some English is spoken. You can carry out or go into the "dining room" and sit at one of about 4 plastic tables. The food is amazing!

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. We will try to fit them all in, but some may have to wait for his next visit.

Mmmm. One of our faves is "dusty chicken". Just east of Walmart on the lake side of the road, before the Coke plant. To die for barbequed chicken, onions, peppers, and the best green salsa ever. There's no sign, but look for the monster barbeque with all the tantalizing smoke. Get there early, they sell out!

I think these guys have one of the best businesses in the whole area; they are always busy. I live in San Antonio and I can order for a home delivery and they usually arrive in about 10 minutes. Life doesn't get much better than this.

There is also another place with great carnitas. It is just east of Oxxo in Chula Vista on the lake side with a sign that says, Birria, gorditas, etc. Rick from Early Bird Cafe told me how good they are and he is right on the money; but, of course, Rick should know.

Buen provecho.

There are two shrimp places on Revolucion, the street beside Salvadore's Rest. where the tianguis are held Wednesdays in Ajijic. The one closest to the corner serves an inexpensive and killer shrimp salad, and the one past the locksmith has a fab Mexican shrimp cocktail. You haven't lived 'til you've had a Mexican shrimp cocktail (as opposed to those six puny, ice-cold shrimp served on a bowl of ice with iceberg lettuce, at most restaurants back home, for 10 bucks or whatever it is now... ).

Archived