Chapala.com Webboard

Booking.com

Orygun Duck

A couple weeks ago I made reservations for a hotel in Queretaro through Booking.com based on recommendations on this board. The hotel we stayed at - the Hotel Hidalgo - was very nice, had a great location and very helpful staff. With a day or two of our departure, however, we received an email from Booking.com that we had been "no shows" and would be charged for the first night's stay. We took issue with this and told Booking that we had stayed at the hotel and were not "no shows." To make a long story short, Booking then checked with the hotel, said the hotel had somehow checked the "wrong box" on some form and that the hotel would take care of it, adding that all future handling of this problem was between me and the hotel. Meanwhile, my credit card had been charged and the hotel - seemingly having never before issued a credit on a card issued by a US bank - can't figure out how to refund my money. After a couple days of back and forth, the hotel finally says it has been taken care of and should appear on my account within the next 4-5 days (although the amount they refunded in pesos may or may not equal the amount I was charged in dollars)..

While a bit non-plussed with the hotel, I am even more upset with a purported "service" (Booking.com) that washes it's hands of any responsibility for overcharges. I have dealt with a number of other reservation services (Expedia, Agoda. Priceline, etc.) and have never encountered such a cavalier attitude.

I am not looking for advice and know that in a pinch my bank (USAA) will make it all go away. Just wanted to let people know of my experience. Not a big deal, but irritating.

I have traveled all over the world using Booking . com, I use them because you pay at checkout, never to them in advance...and they never ask for my CC #, so I am wondering why they had yours...I have been using them for 20 years and never had a problem...

Didn't pay in advance, but they did insist on my CC# for the reservation.

The hotel we stayed at - the Hotel Hidalgo - was very nice, had a great location and very helpful staff.

Glad to hear Hotel Hidalgo is still an okay place to stay. So thanks for that. Sorry to hear about your problem, but honestly, it wouldn't even occur to me to use a credit card at that hotel. Not sure why you didn't just book it directly, either. Nonetheless, hope it works out okay.

We have made multiple reservations using Booking.com and were asked for our credit card number for every one. Nothing has been charged--it's simply for a guarantee of the reservation.

Glad to hear Hotel Hidalgo is still an okay place to stay. So thanks for that. Sorry to hear about your problem, but honestly, it wouldn't even occur to me to use a credit card at that hotel. Not sure why you didn't just book it directly, either. Nonetheless, hope it works out okay.

The point isn't what I should have done or what's happened in the past - I'm simply reporting what happened. Lesson learned.

Happy the hotel was okay for you.

Location, staff and room were okay. Hotel's handling of the overcharge was not. Still waiting for my refund - which will likely be less than i was charged due to exchange rate fluctuations and service charges. Have already spent way too much time trying to resolve this, but hey I'm retired!

It's been well over a week since I contacted Booking.com and the Hotel Hidalgo regarding the erroneous change to the Master Card. Booking.com has washed their hands of it, while the hotel had promised I would receive a credit in 4-5 days (that deadline has come and gone several days ago). Based on my experience i cannot recommend either Booking.com or the Hotel Hidalgo to others. (I recognize that many people have had more positive experiences with both; I am only relating mine,)

Thanx for the info, but you can call your cc card and they will give u a credit, at least they did for me for Mexicana air tickets

Did that yesterday and I'm sure USAA will make it right. Hotel continues to make excuses. Now it's the bank. Process takes longer because it's a foreign credit card. "Manana" (Still angriest at Booking.com for failing to represent me as its customer.) Thanks.

I just came back from a Booking.com to Queretaro for Hidilago. Hidalgo Hotel has adequate accommodations, great service, clean rooms, possibly the best central location for walking tourists in old town and their restaurant is good with reasonable prices, as is their hotel rates. One observation, choose a room away from the perimeter of their court, in the back, for less noise for your next visit. Make your reservation in US$'s. Their rates are based in pesos, so with any change in exchange rate, you have the opportunity to pay in either exchange.

Archived