Chapala.com Webboard

New crowd at lakeside...

GeckoGretchen

No malice involved towards Mexicans here, I don’t think….

I can understand the heightened interest in a new unknown element in town and wanting to be proactive in light of recent violent home invasions. I was not aware of this part of Mexican culture but thanks to this post I‘ll keep it mind when I move there.

It might be better not to harass them if they are within their rights but perhaps some charity could assist them in meeting their daily needs. Some needed assistance could keep hardship from turning criminal.

G

Thanks Guss..... this is the kind of positive comment I was happy to read. I have no intentions of harassing anyone. I think being proactive and not turning a blind eye was what I was intending to convey... everyone deserves their little place in the sun. Everyone.

And we all deserve the right to be cautious of our own safety. I think for the most part I was initially misquoted, or misunderstood. I for one, am among those who appreciate every person I have met in all corners of our world, and I am very happy those who enjoy the waters of Lake Chapala and the rising of the sun on its waters are able to do so. Could there be anything more that fills the soul. I hope all the people who have joined these great friends will continue to be able to enjoy their place in the little village in the sun.

A Mexican friend of mine has told me she forbade her son to go and play soccer at the 6th corner soccer field as they are too many bad people around.

We walk the lake area a lot and they are scary looking characters around the soccer field and before you get to the malecon. Some are just harmless drunks some are more aggressive. I would not want any of my kids around these guys either.

the decent mexicans have higher standards than most of the americans here. gretchen does not have to apologize. it is a shame that she does not have much support on this forum. (but not surprising). it is not allowed in ajijic have drunken parties outside late @night. this is disturbing to most good mexican families. gretchen should have her mexican neighbors call the police. i have called police when workers were blaring music @ 7,8 9 pm @ night last summer. the radio was turned off immediately. it could be because i live in a frac. the owners of new posada had municipal & police intervention when it became unbearable on the lake. these boys are not american hippies. you don't even know how many residents lived on that street in the 1960s, especially middle class mexicans. its an ridiculous comparison. they are harassing people, & it could progress. quality of life is an issue, especially since many mexicans are moving here from guad. most people on these forums are in la la la land. thats why americans get in so much trouble, they have little judgement. they are quick to do charity work in foreign countries.

Mexico has all sorts of laws and little enforcement. If you want enforcement, move to Florida, etc. If you want music, color, smiles, a lot of personal freedom, great weather, nice people, delicious affordable food, almost non-existent taxes, etc., move to Mexico.

No place is perfect, but we like it better at Chapala.

Gretchen,

I understood exactly what you meant in your first post. Whenever you have large groups of people, especially younger males, and alcohol there is the potential for trouble. I don’t think it is a crime to inquire about it. Another poster said: “these are not American hippies.” Ironically enough, with the current deterioration of American society them being American youths would have me more concerned not less.

I want good weather and affordable food but not at the expense of personal safety. You can enjoy all that Mexico has to offer and be safety conscious. Enjoying life as an expat and being sensible are not mutually exclusive concepts.

Stay safe everyone.

G

the decent mexicans have higher standards than most of the americans here. gretchen does not have to apologize. it is a shame that she does not have much support on this forum. (but not surprising). it is not allowed in ajijic have drunken parties outside late @night. this is disturbing to most good mexican families. gretchen should have her mexican neighbors call the police. i have called police when workers were blaring music @ 7,8 9 pm @ night last summer. the radio was turned off immediately. it could be because i live in a frac. the owners of new posada had municipal & police intervention when it became unbearable on the lake. these boys are not american hippies. you don't even know how many residents lived on that street in the 1960s, especially middle class mexicans. its an ridiculous comparison. they are harassing people, & it could progress. quality of life is an issue, especially since many mexicans are moving here from guad. most people on these forums are in la la la land. thats why americans get in so much trouble, they have little judgement. they are quick to do charity work in foreign countries.

I would like to know the difference between "decent Mexicans" and other Mexicans.

guss, that is exactly what i am saying. well written post. & maybe the newer american generation IS different from 60s hippies! times have changed. as for martygraw/rvgringo: it is a simple statement. figure it out: there are decent people there are not. too simple?

Archived