Chapala.com Webboard

New crowd at lakeside...

GeckoGretchen

Not so long ago there were three guys who were a constant at the edge of the lake just east of the pier... they arrived just as the sun was arriving and they fished and sipped a few (maybe too many) drinks... But just recently it has grown into a crowd and some of the crowd are not what we should be comfortable with. Does anyone know if we should be reporting this issue to the local police and if there is anything they can do to break up this situation before it gets worse?

For what it's worth, I found this at lakesidecrime.com....if you scroll down, there's an email where you can report suspicious activity. Though, if these men are bothering you or others, it'd be best to call one of the police phone numbers from your cell phone and ask them to send some police down there pronto.

Ajijic and Chapala

Police Emergency 066 Emergency

Ajijic

376 76-61760 (during business hours)

Chapala

Administración: 8:00 a.m. a 4:00 p.m. (376) 765 4455 o 765 7755

Emergencies: EMERGENCIAS: (376) 765 4444 24 hours

Calle Niños Héroes No. 65 Col. Centro Chapala, Jalisco Click here for Map

Email to report things like suspicious behavior: denuncia_chapala@hotmail.com

My first trip here was in late '06, the lake was lower and I stayed at the Nuevo Posada. That Sat night I walked along the shore to the pier and there had to be 150-200 mostly young people in 30-40 cars, all with their doors and trunks open with 30-40 different "songs" blaring. They don't allow cars there anymore, but to be honest, there are very few places the Mexican folks can gather and enjoy their lake - what with all the illegal land grabs they have few places to get together.

My first trip here was in late '06, the lake was lower and I stayed at the Nuevo Posada. That Sat night I walked along the shore to the pier and there had to be 150-200 mostly young people in 30-40 cars, all with their doors and trunks open with 30-40 different "songs" blaring. They don't allow cars there anymore, but to be honest, there are very few places the Mexican folks can gather and enjoy their lake - what with all the illegal land grabs they have few places to get together.

There is plenty of space for all to enjiy the Lakeside, what is not acceptable is the drunks and blaring music that can go on passed 10pm

Ah ah ah, remember where you live, noise is not a problem and maybe a bit of spirits from time to time. Seriously, when you consider ALL lakefront land is Federal and therefore belongs to "the people of Mexico" - it's darn hard to find much on the N shore where you can get together, the vast majority has been stolen by those with "means" to do so.

Not so long ago there were three guys who were a constant at the edge of the lake just east of the pier... they arrived just as the sun was arriving and they fished and sipped a few (maybe too many) drinks... But just recently it has grown into a crowd and some of the crowd are not what we should be comfortable with. Does anyone know if we should be reporting this issue to the local police and if there is anything they can do to break up this situation before it gets worse?

Without a job, maybe without a home, the pier and a beer with a fried fish would look pretty inviting. Why are you uncomfortable & why do you think you should be made more comfortable by removing Mexicans from a Mexican beach in a Mexican town? Is that the "situation" you describe, or is there some illegal activity you would like to "report"?

after the meeting in december, the cooperation from the mex police, it is your duty to report any suspicious or dangerous behavior. everyone in that area should go to city hall. after all the work linda fossi did, why not continue?

When we decide to live in Mexico we need to remember that, like almost anywhere, it has the good, the bad, and the ugly. Many newbies just gush about how much they love and admire the Mexican people and their culture. This posting reminds us that not everything in Mexico can be made into the image some would like. Relax and remember that this too will pass.

Please try to forget I ever posted this.... my concerns were not anything that has to do with Mexican fishermen, or any fishermen for that matter. Once again this has blown way out and off the original map. Lets just drop it before it turns even more rediculous. If you read my original post I was concerned about NOT the friends who have always fished there, but instead the additions to the same area who are congregating for other reasons. I am actually sorry I ever mentioned it.

do NOT be sorry you mentioned this. you are helping people. do not be intimidated by the hostile posters on this tread. they never read your original post or considered you as a human being. they like to fight. you are in the correct direction, you & your neighbors have rights here.

It would seem from the above posted remarks, one (or many) was not prepared to live in Mexico. Upon your research to living in Mexico did you not read, Tom Wolfe's The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test? If not, time to read or re-read it. They were living just east of the pier in Ajiic? In the 70's, the Dallas Morning News reported many 'hippies' had slung up hamocks and were enjoying a carefree life, sleeping on the beach in front of the Old Posada. Isn't that what drove us to this life style? Now, that we are here and old, do we NOT want to allow (or want to begrudge) that free spirit to exist in the next generation???

I think we should remember this is not Canada or the US and your/our rules do not apply. Why not, just sit back enjoy the weather, your life style, friends and let each day come as it may? And enjoy Mexico on a day-today-basis!

I happen to know some of these people you are talking about. These are people who have grown up in this town and hard times has forced them to camp out on the beach. Some of these guys do have jobs, but with the small amount of money they make in a week they can not afford a roof over their heads. The ones I do know are harmless and just doing their best to survive. If all of the gringos now start to push them off of their land, their will be more resentment. Just leave them alone and enjoy your warm bed at night.

Archived