Chapala.com Webboard

Question re good storage

FeelinGroovy

I cooked some brown rice with chicken and salsa last nite. After eating, I left the pan out (covered) to let it cool off before I put it in the frig. You guessed it, I forgot to put it in the frig. I put it in there this AM. Is it still OK to eat?

Thank you.

Libby

not-a-cook

If you re-heat it in the microwave, to high temperature, any invading 'critters' will be killed off.

It the days before microwave ovens, in the Middle East, without refrigeration, the practice was to eat cooked foods within 24 hours of cooking, and to keep the food protected from insects, etc. In the case of foods which needed re-heating, a steamer was often used. Most homes had a single burner; no oven.

I would not eat any food, especially with meat in it, that has been sitting at room temp for more than a couple of hours. Definitely not at room temp overnight. I am not a fan of the "food police", but food poisoning is something I'm not willing to take big risks with. Just me...

Libby, I reheat things left out to cool all night all the time. Never made me sick.

You are one lucky person. As a former dietician this is asking for trouble. Food should be put in the refrigerator uncovered until it has cooled. THEN you cover it for storage - covering immediately maintains a too warm temperature in the food and is a wonderful breeding ground.

What the 'professionals' are telling us is what they have been trained to do and to preach for the purpose of commercial safety and to avoid liability, particularly in the USA. If everyone in the world were forced to comply, millions would starve. Practical food handling and 'official' food handling procedures are worlds apart. There is nothing 'wrong' with what the 'professionals' teach, but it does contain a large dose of 'overkill'.

If it would kill you my whole family would be dead. I have brothers who have left a pot of chicken and rice on the stove for a couple days and just cut the burner on to heat it up when they wanted some. They never got sick or maybe they wouldn't have done it again. They swore it smelled funny on the third day and then they knew to stop. How many times has a pizza been left out all night and eaten cold the next morning?

Archived