Chapala.com Webboard

Nutritional Yeast - Where to get?

ichbinsaege

Can I even get Nutritional Yeast down here? I prefer the flakes. I have several really good vegan recipes I like to make and they require nutritional yeast flakes.

(it is not the same as brewers yeast or baking yeast)

wiki page about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutritional_yeast

I'm not sure what the name would even be here.

Any help would be appreciated.

How interesting. When I look at the wikipedia page for Nutritional Yeast and then Brewer's Yeast they both are referred to as this:Saccharomyces cerevisiae. I wonder how they can be different then. Anyway it might be called Levadura Nutricional here in Mexico.

I know that Mamá Coneja at the Abastos has levadura cervecero (brewer's) so maybe they have the other stuff too.

How interesting. When I look at the wikipedia page for Nutritional Yeast and then Brewer's Yeast they both are referred to as this:Saccharomyces cerevisiae. I wonder how they can be different then. Anyway it might be called Levadura Nutricional here in Mexico.

I know that Mamá Coneja at the Abastos has levadura cervecero (brewer's) so maybe they have the other stuff too.

Maybe it is the same as brewers yeast, then? I was always told it wasn't. Maybe I was misinformed. There is a Mama Coneja in Sta Teresita too. I was just there, but didn't think to look for it until after I got home. I'll be going again soon, maybe I'll get a small amount and try it! I really need the flakes though, as I know that creates a different texture to the food, and even the recipe says if you don't use the flakes, you'll be sorry.

Thanks!

Nevermind, I read this: http://invitationfrom-gnewvegan.blogspot.com/2008/01/nutritional-yeast-flakes-vs-brewers.html

So yeah, still need to try and find Nutritional Yeast Flakes.

Archived