Chapala.com Webboard

Fork tender steak

RVGRINGO

Melt in your mouth arrachera steak, perfectly cooked and served with al dente grilled vegetables, fluffy rice and salad for $90 pesos. Of course the totopos and salsa appetizer are the best in the area!

Can you tell that I like Los Cinco Potrillos? It is well worth the short hop over the mountain to Ixtlahuacan de los membrillos, even if you can't pronounce it.

Yum!

Los Cinco Potrillos is a very nice restaurant in the town of Ixtlahuacan de los membrillos. The owner trains his staff very well and most of them speak pretty good English.

To find the restaurant, drive out of Chapala, or via the libramiento from Ajijic, and go over the mountain.

When you approach the Artesan's area, where they sell the jams, jellies, honey, etc. on the right side of the road, get into the far right lane.

Pass the stalls and go into the underpass for the retorno. It will reverse your direction.

Stay to the extreme right and enter the arch into the town of Ixtlahuacan de los membrillos, proceeding slowly into the center of town.

As you pass the plaza on the right and the church on your left, continue one block more and you will be able to turn left on that street.

At the next corner, turn left and you will be in front of the restaurant. Park where you can and enjoy this very welcoming restaurant.

I guarantee that you will return often, as we do.

For my money, there are two excellent restaurantes in our area and just had comida with friends yesterday on our way back from Cajititlan and the Three Kings Celebration which was amazing. One had the carne asada (fork tender for sure), I had the parrilla with steak, chicken and shrimp (enuf for 4 servings, honestly -- with the accompaniment of refried beans, great moist rice and guacamole and fresh salsa), other two had beef dishes as Pancho (owner) and his family own a cattle ranch where the beef comes from. One of the people who had beef very seldom eats it and was most pleased. And, of course, had to have a large container each of the salsa to take home -- as one poster said -- the best in the area.

The other restaurante is in my village of San Juan Cosala and the owner, Augustin, is a dear and the food is terrific -- always consistent, and it is my understanding that he has a new English speaking chef and a new and expanded menu. Check it out -- worth the drive "out west" for his excellent food.

I LOVE Viva Mexico! Focaccia has been very hit and miss, mostly miss. The last time I was there with two friends we had to ask them to take the pasta with bolonese sauce back to drain off the water and it was still very liquid when it returned. I was so embarassed as I had insisted they try it. Never again

Los Cinco Potrillos !!! Pretty much the best reason to go pick up visitors from the airport.....it ALWAYS requires a stop on the way back at this restaurante excelente for comida!!!

Mainecoons, el 24 de marzo !!!!

Lo siento -- yes I meant Los Cinco Potrillos and Viva Mexico. But after my birthday celebration tonight, I have to add ROBERTO'S to my list. I had the steak diane (I know it is a 70s dish, but couldn't resist) and it was superb. Others had the rouquefort cheese New York steak which was excellente -- all the entrees got great raves and Bobby actually made a smaller version of his chocolate flourless pecan tart and it was fabulous as usual. Hats off to Roberto's, Bobby and the 3 handsome and attentive waiters. I got lots of birthday hugs from the staff which was a pleasant surprise.

Archived