Chapala.com Webboard

27 varieties of tamales

Ron Jackson

Going out to see the newly enlarged, Jocotepec malecon, we stopped at a brand new, little, tamale restaurant called Dona Cata. It's located on the left side of the road between topes, across from the school, as you make the big left curve approaching Jocotepec. The owners are really special people. The creator and chef was first an Ajijic Elementary school teacher who retired after 31 years. She has been practicing and going to classes for the previous 3 years learning her new trade.

Bottom line, she learned it well... Best tamales I've ever eaten, the secret is in the masa and she's nailed it. 27 varieties of tamales are available for your parties or.... and each day the restaurant features 6 choices. I'm not a tamale fan and never really liked them, These changed my mind. After lunch I bought a big selection to take home and put in my freezer. Cost each 9 or 10 pesos depending on your choice.

• 3 weeks later...

How can you make tamales without lard? Without it they're not tamales. And .... forbid that she uses shortening. Besides, lard is the new-old healthy fat, along with coconut oil. Both seem to have been maligned as usual for political reasons, to prop up post-war chemical oils from the US, whereas our ancestors and all of Asia have been using both for centuries and have fewer health problems and obesity than those who bought into the high sugar-low fat-soy oil experiment that started in the sixties and seventies. Everything in moderation, right? I'll try Dona Cata's tamales when I find out she does use lard.

Going out to see the newly enlarged, Jocotepec malecon, we stopped at a brand new, little, tamale restaurant called Dona Cata. It's located on the left side of the road between topes, across from the school, as you make the big left curve approaching Jocotepec. The owners are really special people. The creator and chef was first an Ajijic Elementary school teacher who retired after 31 years. She has been practicing and going to classes for the previous 3 years learning her new trade.

Bottom line, she learned it well... Best tamales I've ever eaten, the secret is in the masa and she's nailed it. 27 varieties of tamales are available for your parties or.... and each day the restaurant features 6 choices. I'm not a tamale fan and never really liked them, These changed my mind. After lunch I bought a big selection to take home and put in my freezer. Cost each 9 or 10 pesos depending on your choice.

"as you make the big left curve approaching Joco"..don't you mean right curve??

• 2 weeks later...

How can you make tamales without lard? Without it they're not tamales. And .... forbid that she uses shortening. Besides, lard is the new-old healthy fat, along with coconut oil. Both seem to have been maligned as usual for political reasons, to prop up post-war chemical oils from the US, whereas our ancestors and all of Asia have been using both for centuries and have fewer health problems and obesity than those who bought into the high sugar-low fat-soy oil experiment that started in the sixties and seventies. Everything in moderation, right? I'll try Dona Cata's tamales when I find out she does use lard.

Wow! I'm just a vegetarian...I have issues with killing for taste. Once your body hasn't had meat for a while (in my case, 22 years) you get sick when you accidentally ingest some. I found this out from tamales...I love them, but can't take the lard.

You are right about the health aspect, though...natural products in any form are healthier than the chemical sh*tstorms people mistake for food products. :P

Archived