Chapala.com Webboard

Mel's vs Bambuu for brunch

SusieSunshine

Bambu has an outstnding Sunday brunch. It is 100 P which is paid as you enter. Most people are seated at tables along the lakefront. The view is lovely.

As soon as you are seated the waiter is right there with juice and coffee and keeps returning to bring refills. Eggs are made to order. pncakes are available. The steam table has many options and turns over quickly as there are many patrons. There is a station where tortillas are being made and quesidillas can be ordered and then are brought to your table.

There is a table of cut up fresh fruits and another table with cakes and flan.

I have been more than satisfied by the service, ambience and food each time I have been there.

I

Bambu is one of the restaurants west of San Juan Cosala, toward Jocotopec, on the lake shore in the area of many topes. It is one of the first that you will encounter in that strip.

Guest RevImmigrant

Bambu is right on the carretera on the lake side on restaurant row just before you enter San Juan Cosala. It's a fairly large place.

Mel's is in Plaza Montana on the carretera as you go through Ajijic.

I haven't been to either one so I can't comment on the food or service, but I know where they are.

Thanks!

Does anyone know the hours that each has the brunch? I have been doing Salvador's every Sunday because their brunch is until 4, but I want something different...with great desserts! :) I have a sweet tooth lately.

Bambú is 8 or 9 until noon.

I have not had brunch at Bambu. I have had breakfast off the menu there, and it was very good and the location is gorgeous. We did have brunch at Mel's Diner today, and thought it was outstanding. The location is lovely, a rooftop terrace with both sunny and shady places to sit. Fresh coffee and orange juice are delivered to you immediately. They have a huge buffet selection including Mexican and gringo breakfast specialities, a crepe bar, and dessert and pastry bar. They also have made to order omelets, waffles, etc. I don't think a person could taste a bit of everything they have and still be able to walk. All this for 85 pesos? Outstanding! The restaurant is fully accessible, with a darling little elevator to get you where you're going. Of course parking is the usual challenge, but I do believe she is offering valet parking. The brunch hours are Sunday 10-3.

Caution. If you are driving a US or Canadian plated car, you cannot allow a Mexican Valet to drive the car without you being in the vehicle. If he should have an accident, you will be discovered to have violated that rule and may lose your car and share a cell with the Mexican valet.

So true I know some people who went to the new RIU hotel, gave their car to valet at entrance, he went on joy ride, had an accident, and it was only because they had good insurance and lawyer, they were not arrested, but it took 3 months to get their car back...So beware of Valets

Well, I planned on posting a review today, but my brunch partner was sick and we did not go out. I will try Mel's next week...was planning on Bambu, but getting there before noon isn't going to be likely for me. I like my lazy days! Will try again next week and leave a review.

Thanks for all of the responses!

That is a shame about the RIU. They make it appear that valet parking is the only way you are able to park, but when I went I told them it was illegal and they let me self park (for the same price) after a discussion with the manager. I never valet park my car...I used to be a valet and you never know what goes on when you hand over the keys!

Many of the destination resorts in Puerto Vallarta insist that you use valet parking, so you'll have to insist that they allow you to park your non-Mexican plated car yourself. They aren't aware of the laws that pertain to these cars. Both you, and the innocent valet may become victims of a 'catch-22'.

• 4 weeks later...

Bambu only has brunch on Sunday order off menu everyday...

They have their buffet/brunch Saturdays and Sundays and maybe holidays.

• 2 weeks later...

Bambu, on the waterfront, on the way into San Juan Cosala is a terrible restaurant with terrible service. However, the newer restaurant with the large fake shark hanging out front just a little ways closer to Ajijic (perhaps 100 yards) takes the cake for being the most expensive restaurant in that area and you receive absolutely nothing worth the price. Part of a GDL chain that appears to have had a solid reputation at one time but now it's simply a "fast food" restaurant with a better than average location.

Bambu, on the waterfront, on the way into San Juan Cosala is a terrible restaurant with terrible service. However, the newer restaurant with the large fake shark hanging out front just a little ways closer to Ajijic (perhaps 100 yards) takes the cake for being the most expensive restaurant in that area and you receive absolutely nothing worth the price. Part of a GDL chain that appears to have had a solid reputation at one time but now it's simply a "fast food" restaurant with a better than average location.

Can you explain to us mortals why it is that "100"'s repeat customers turn up each week end like lemmings, to pay for over priced food. and then face the long haul back to Guad at night ( and terrify the local pedestrians with their drunk driving)

Ha! Never eaten at Bambu, but I'm kinda loving crjd's highly caustic review of the "Shark" Restaurant. (El Carnal?) It's truly awful and a waste of money.

As to the above question about the popularity of lousy restaurants....take a walk around the world. Hugely successful establishments serving crap food are everywhere.

Have been to El Carnal twice and both times had DIVINE Oysters Rockefeller....The rest of the party had great food too so perhaps it's a "hit/miss" kind of place. Based upon my own experiences, I'd go back but would like to try Bambu sometime too.

Valerie :)

Guest RevImmigrant

I was at the El Carnal across from Las fuentes in Guadalajara some time ago. The lobster tail was so overcooked even my cats wouldn't have eaten it so I sent it back. The service was so flawed that they served the lobster tail first and the appetizer (an empanada) second. Never had any desire to try another location of that restaurant.

Travis is right about popular restaurants and crap food. But here, the ribera restaurants are a really just a well-known tourist destination, and there are enough of them that a Tapatio could come out 10 times and try a different one every time. There is also the mindset that draws cars into restaurants with crowded lots.Plus, once they decide to go there, where else are they gonna go? Personally I wouldn't come to lakeside on the weekends at all, but there's always someone in a family somewhere saying "Let's get out to the country!"

I grew up in a town an hour and a half south of Montreal. We had a nice beach and lakefront, as well as a thriving main street. On summer weekends, thousands of city dwellers came from Montreal to swim, shop and eat. Meanwhile, our urge was to drive up to Montreal for a meal in a big city restaurant!

Here, just over my shoulder, hangs a Schulz painting of Snoopy with the caption, "El pasto siempre ve mas verde del otro lado de la cerca..."

How true that is!

Archived