Chapala.com Webboard

Your Favorite Costco Finds!

Travis

Costco has so many things you just can't get anywhere else. But I find it really easy to fall into a rut, go in with our list and grab the things we need or want, and then get out. (And I hate the act of shopping....am not much of a browser and I'm only good in a store for about 45 minutes.) So I'm sure I pass right by lots of great stuff and simply don't know about it, nor notice it.

I thought it'd be fun to share favorite things you've found at Costco, so other's can discover them, too. I'm putting this in the Cocina section because for me it's mostly about food, but feel free to post other types of Costco items that you include in your favorites. Of course, I'll start!

1. Stacy's Pita Chips - My God these are good. They're great for dips because they're strong enough to hold up to even a heavy dip. But they're also just really tasty on their own. Dangerously addictive.

2. Pasta Prima brand Ravioles with pollo a la parilla y queso mozarella. Very tasty with a little tomato sauce and parmesan over them. You can actually taste the grilled chicken in the ravioli, which surprised the hell out of me. Comes in a two-pack.

3. Costco/Kirkland brand unsalted butter. I usually prefer a salted butter, but More Liana recommended this as an alternative. It's really, really good butter, and I don't even mind that it's unsalted. Half the price of Anchor or Lurpak. Some friends who like to bake - I've given up due to a recalcitrant oven - swear it's the only type they'll use in baking.

4. A non-food item! The Costco/Kirkland brand men's plain white t-shirts are spectacular quality. Just like from the good old days. Not that crappy, flimsy light-weight cotton that's so prevalent now.

5. Brookside brand Chocolate-covered Acai berries. Honestly, these should just be outlawed.

Okay. Tag. You're it.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know you can get this in Lakeside, but the Prosciutto ham at Costco is way better and cheaper. It's the same stuff we are able to buy in Arizona. Love the stuff.

They also had Serrano ham in GDL, and we liked the individually wrapped packages, but it just wasn't as good as the prosciutto.

1. Kirkland butter. Thank god, a really good alternative to Lurpak's crazy price and the god-awfulness of Gloria.

2. Those gigantic Tassos green olives stuffed with pimento.

3. Kirkland brand tequila reposado. It is marvelous, smooth and caramel-y. One of the major distilleries makes it, but I don't remember which one.

4. Navarro Correas colecciĂłn privada vino tinto: a mix of cabernet, malbec, and merlot from Argentina. The label has a tree on it. They don't have it very often. If you see it, grab it--and grab one for me, too.

1. Kirkland butter. Thank god, a really good alternative to Lurpak's crazy price and the god-awfulness of Gloria.

2. Those gigantic Tasso's green olives stuffed with pimento.

3. Kirkland brand tequila reposado. It is marvelous, smooth and caramel-y. One of the major distilleries makes it, but I don't remember which one.

4. Navarro Correas colecciĂłn privada vino tinto: a mix of cabernet, malbec, and merlot from Argentina. The label has a tree on it. They don't have it very often. If you see it, grab it--and grab one for me, too.

The distillery that makes Costco brand is Fabrica de Tequilas Finos, the maker of some 28 brands all with the same NOM. i.e. one tequila but 28 brands. Mostly they're "marketing plays." Not exactly a "major" player. The latest one has skull shaped bottles. You can find all of this @ tequila.net

2. Those gigantic Tasso's green olives stuffed with pimento.

Agree about the tequila - I've bought it up here in AZ and down in Guadalajara. Very nice stuff.

Now, after such strong recommendations from More Loans and Travis, I'm going to have to try the butter.

I have been buying the 40 pack of bar towels for maybe 20 years to replace most paper towel needs. A roll of paper towels is over a buck. One of these towels must replace at least one roll with multiple washings. I feel they are more economical but before one of our experts jumps in I really like the feel of cloth especially for drying. I recently purchased the microfibra towels and they are better for drying. I don't use towels for goopy messes. I reserve a sponge or paper towel for those chores.

I like the Costco brand of automatic dishwashing powder. Kirkland laundry soap, pistachios, butter, dried blueberries, albacora, olive oil, canned chicken and so much more.

Their hot dogs with lots of mustard, jalapeños and onions are to die for, my wife likes the chicken bake. It is better for us if we eat at the food stand first so as to not overdo the food purchasing on an empty stomach.

You know what, Atlas? Everybody I know who enjoys tequila--Mexicans and foreigners alike--love it.

This is a thread about Your Favorite Costco Finds! I don't want to argue.

Whoa! I didn't disparage the tequila! Just saying it doesn't come from one of the "major" makers. Everything Costco sells under their Kirkland brand is excellent, especially the wines.

Guest RevImmigrant

I also like the paper towels and the toilet paper. The toilet paper is soft and does not have perfume. The paper towels are strong and big.

I was there yesterday with a friend and it was a zoo, very crowded.

Sam's has some good items too. I like their bottled water (I buy the cases of the 1L bottles) better than Costco; it tastes better. They also have large blocks of Tillamook Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese, a large can of sliced jalapenos for nachos (I think Costco might have them too, but I usually get them at Sam's) and the cat litter. I like the beef franks at Sam's better than the Kirkland brand at Costco; they're bigger, fatter and taste better. I prefer the Sam's on Mariano Otero over the one on Lopez Mateos Sur.

When I was looking over Mexico to decide where to live, I liked a small town over on the coast. My wife vetoed that. Said it was too hot and they didn't have Costco. I have friends who go to Costco for the candy and munchies section. Oddly, it is located right before the checkout section. Imagine.

2. Those gigantic Tassos green olives stuffed with pimento.

4 of the favorite food groups! ;-) with one minor variation / addition:

The giant Tassos olives stuffed with garlic & jalapenos......amazing. They seem to be out of stock a lot....

I make a pilgrimage there about 4 times a year...wish I had more freezer space!

I love the coupon book they hand out at the door and in planning a trip called to find out their availability.

Was told that new books will be there on Jan.8 so put off my trip till next week.

I like most of the recommendations above but in particular love the pork ribs..2 huge slabs per pak.

I cut each slab in half char each side for about 10 minutes on BBQ (high heat) to burn off fat and

then salt, pepper and slop BBQ sauce and wrap in foil. Bake in oven at about 350 for about an

hour or more. The half slab fits perfectly in my toaster to save on gas. Of course I freeze the rest

and have this treat on a regular basis. mmmm!

Pre-cooked bacon, hickory almonds, toilet paper so I never run out and it is non perfumed, large sized cottage cheese, the hot dogs at the food stand. The Kirkland Tequila is superb also and I am lazy and buy the pre cut jicama often. I like browsing to see what new goodies they have.

And yes I could live nicely without a Costco but it is there so I like going monthly. I also like the free samples!

I purchase my Costco items through Lakeside Express. The current coupons are listed on their site. Thus far I have been able to purchase anything I need through them. The website is; www.lakesideexpress.com This way I don't have to drive to Guad. If you don't see an item on their list; call them or email and they will do their best to get it for you.

Ooooh...I forgot to mention an item that is fairly new to Costco--SALMAS crackers! These are baked corn crackers with a pinch of sea salt on the tops. They are absolutely superb. We love them and you will, too.

Archived