Chapala.com Webboard

Getting mixed opinions - are the libre roads safe from Ajijic to Laredo

SusieSunshine

I hear they are fine...I hear they are covered in killings...I hear it is only paranoia...I hear that I'll be carjacked and killed.

Any one take them lately? What does everyone think? I know a few save time and I'm all over that, but in general will I make it to the border and back on the libre roads or am I asking for trouble? My Spanish is awful, but my papers are all in order and I have found that if I just hand them all over, I get through the police stops...they find what they want. Doing it tomorrow (Saturday) if that matters. I was thinking that with more travelers, less hassle...more witnesses. :) I won't be driving in the night, either.

I'm not stupid, but tend to be naive...especially when it comes to violence and what other people are capable of.

We just came down through the cuotas and got there christmas eve. Up there they say do not use the libres, down here they say do not use the libres. The checks forums, etc. online and people all up through there says stay off the libre's. I am not worried at all about the cuotas.

You quite probably would make it ok, but the libre's are where they set up roadblocks to rob, carjack, etc.when they do it.

That's not always the case. We used to use the route from Laredo to Zacatecas and 54 straight south to Guadalajara, straight through centro following the signs for the airport and Chapala. Except for a few 'curvy parts', we were often pushing 80 mph. However, we haven't been out of Mexico for many years.

As a resident of Nuevo Laredo who travels to Monterrey once a month I would not recommend the libre between Monterrey and Nuevo Laredo. No one can predict conditions at any specific time, but there was an aggresive military operation directed against the Zetas around Sabinas Hidalgo over the past few months. The cuota for the autopista is only about $15. I know the OP has already traveled so this is just general advice.

ok guys... here are the facts. the free highways tend to be more dangerous to drive on. out of the top 5 most dangerous highways, one on the list is the gdl to mazatlan free road. this is due to the % of accidents on that highways v the toll road. you deal with semi trucks that decided to pass on blind turns thus causing horrific accidents. driving on the free roads simply increases your chances of having a car accident. the toll roads do have some problems since the barriers dont have any rebar rods and simply crumble allowing the crash vehicles to be on your lane as you drive through.......

so i hope this simple information will allow you to make the best choice for yourself..............use the toll roads.

• 2 weeks later...

As a resident of Nuevo Laredo who travels to Monterrey once a month I would not recommend the libre between Monterrey and Nuevo Laredo. No one can predict conditions at any specific time, but there was an aggresive military operation directed against the Zetas around Sabinas Hidalgo over the past few months. The cuota for the autopista is only about $15. I know the OP has already traveled so this is just general advice.

Interestingly, I wasn't too sure of that area and used the toll roads. It was $180pesos, I think. However, once I get near the border (especially around Monterrey) I get a little nervous.

In the states, I was on one of the most dangerous Interstates and found the libre roads better than that, but it was like driving in Guadalajara (during peak times) for hours...always on alert!

Archived