Chapala.com Webboard

Bolo

lakeheron

You have it right--it's bolo. And it does mean present, but a special kind of present that isn't covered by regalo.

Oftentimes--especially at a baptism--the bolo is a doubletriplequadruple handful of small change that is tossed up in the air after the baptismal ceremony for the little guests to scramble after as the coins hit the floor. Usually just the boys participate.

This is what your maid meant, even for a quinceañera. In the case of the quinceañera, the bolos probably were little bags of sweets that were given to every guest, but they could have been the handfuls of change that are common at baptisms. You'll see the same bags of sweets or sugared almonds at weddings. In the case of what you mentioned re Christmas, sometimes those packages of sweets are called bolo and sometimes they are called aguinaldo--yes, the self-same word aguinaldo that means the Christmas bonus for employees.

Or am I thinking of bolas?

Crikey.

I think it's pretty slangish, either way. Good luck.

Oops...and it's not slang at all. It's a modismo--a colloquial usage. But definitely not slang.

Slang is jerga. Modismo is an idiomatic expression, i.e. a colloquial term. Not slang.

And how did you give someone a bolo? Did you throw coins at whomever? Inquiring minds want to know.

PS: Bolo is not the same as a wedgie. LOL...

Archived