Chapala.com Webboard

Yoghurt in Mexico

jrm30655

I like yoghurt. In the States, I used to eat it with a spoon. Down here, I just open the carton and pour it in my mouth. Even American brands are the same, runny. Anybody have any idea as to the reason for the difference in consistency beween Mexico and the States?

As an aside, just returned from a trip up north to Florida and tried Greek yoghurt for the first time. Think I could live on it full time. Very thick in consistency, very low in calories. Anybody seen it here? Checked out Super Lake and WalMart, the two most likely contenders. Nada. Just asked two different questions in one post. Mea Culpa.

I like yoghurt. In the States, I used to eat it with a spoon. Down here, I just open the carton and pour it in my mouth. Even American brands are the same, runny. Anybody have any idea as to the reason for the difference in consistency beween Mexico and the States?

As an aside, just returned from a trip up north to Florida and tried Greek yoghurt for the first time. Think I could live on it full time. Very thick in consistency, very low in calories. Anybody seen it here? Checked out Super Lake and WalMart, the two most likely contenders. Nada. Just asked two different questions in one post. Mea Culpa.

Go to the organic market tomorrow and find Deena - great Greek yogurt...

The difference is taste differences, or at least their perceived taste differences. Take for example cheetos, cheesy in the us and chile here. The only thing there is not enough chile, just bland tasting. Ritz crackers taste bland here, I don't know how they figure out the stuff needs to be changed.here.

Same question from me. Perhaps it's a cultural thing (no pun intended). There is also a striking lack of flavour selection.

Helper, I find lots of different yogurt flavors. Look for the yogurt with the hand made label. It is normally available in a wide variety--with and without sugar, pineapple, nut, strawberry, prune, and other.

I like the very runny and acidic yoghurt we get in France and cannot stand the thick ones so there is no accounting for taste. Over there you can find from very thin to very thick so obviously there is some addition of a thickening agent in some of them.

When I lived in the States, I had a yoghurt maker. All natural ingredients, no gelatin and you could not turn it upside down and get it to fall out of the jar. Just checked ingredients on my current container of Mexican yoghurt and the fourth ingredient is "agua". Think we might be getting to the bottom of the mystery

Not sure if it is the only thing, I had a yoghurt maker in France and it made liquid and acidic yoghurt so maybe the type of yeast used is important , I have not idea why the yoghurts would be so different.. We did not add water and they were liquid. Maybe the type of milk? Anyone knows?

Archived