Chapala.com Webboard

Extending Expiry Date of Vehicle Permit

Ezzie

Last week I came into Mexico with my truck and trailer to drop off some items at our residence in the Chapala area. I have left Mexico to go get another load so I did not turn in my Vehicle Permit. It expires in 6 months since I only got a visitor's visa for this short time. I did turn in the visitor's visa on exit.

I now may not make it back into Mexico with the same vehicle before the Vehicle Permit expires, but I for sure will be coming back by air for a visit before then. Should I get a "No Inmigrante - Rentista" application started at my local Consulate and complete it the next time I visit in probably March? If so, then how do I get the Vehicle Permit attached to the Visa so it does not expire on me? Does this have to be done at the airport before I leave or is there an office in Chapala that I have to go to?

I appreciate any help anyone can provide since it is a bit confusing to me.

Either way you'll need to either do the whole process here or finish the process here. Come back on a tourist card and then in January you can get your no inmigrante (FM3) and that will extend your vehicle permit. Just make sure you don't delay so you can do the proper aduana vehicle notification after and not lose your deposit. I can help with the aforementioned if needed.

Your current truck and trailer must be taken to the border, together, to have Aduana remove the sticker and issue a formal receipt. They'll check the VIN, etc. If you don't do that, you won't be able to enter Mexico with a different vehicle. As Intercasa cautions, don't delay. If your permit expires on the 180th day, as it will, you lose your deposit the next day; permanently.

You stopped to turn in your FMM, but your serious error was in not taking care of your vehicle obligations. Hurry back, truck and trailer in tow! Otherwise, you may find that it can escalate into more problems; fines, taxes on the vehicles because the government assumes they are still here & they won't accept any other kind of proof that they aren't. They'll just assume that you sold them illegally in Mexico.

Other than that, Intercasa's suggestion to get a 'no inmigrante' visa before your FMM expires is the simple solution. Either way, the vehicles must come back to get the Aduana business done, or you can't ever bring in another.

OK, I get it that I need to get my FM3 (now "No Inmigrante - Rentista") completed before the Vehicle Permit expires. I will get started on that right away.

My other question is that once I have the new Visa - what is the process to get the expiry date of the Vehicle Permit in sync with the expiry date of the new Visa? Can I do this in Chapala or Guad or have Intercasa do it on my behalf? Sorry for the questions but this is all a little murky to me.

Ezzie what Intercasa is saying is do not bother starting process in Ontario, Canada. You still have to complete it in Mexico with as much hassle as starting it in Toronto. Then just before getting to lakeside contact him so start the process. He may ask you to bring bank statements etc that would be easier to retrieve where you are now. Intercasa and his team will make it smooth sailing.

Now just hope your car is not in an accident and you can not in time get it and the trailer back to the border. You must have both at the border to ultimately remove both from being on your Mexican records.

Stay warm. :o

PS as to your post below ... Geesh RV ... he knows he made an error and knows his mistake without you telling him. Why do you think he posted the question? Now he is trying to live with it and make it right. Should we put him in jail too? Not all is black and white. Not everyone is perfect.

A friend of mine exited Mexico and forgot to get his sticker removed. He drives one of those camper type things. When he drove back down, six months or whatever later, he was very humble and explained the error at the border, I can't remember whether he was given a new sticker or not. He was not fined, though, and was told to remember to do it next time. So all is not cut and dried or black and white in Mexico. I think a lot depends on your attitude, friendliness, and the the demeanor of the official. That said, it is better to be on the safe side. I think Spencer (Intercasa) is great and would follow his advice.

OK, let's try this again. I get it with the need to proceed right away with applying for the "No Inmigrante - Rentista" and finalizing it when I come down to Chapala in March. I'll have to do it that way because I will only be coming for a week. Also, there is a reason why I did not cancel my Vehicle Permit upon exit from Mexico but I don't want to go into the details of that here because it is not the point of this topic.

What I have not quite got an understanding of yet is - how do I, once I have the new Visa, get my as yet unexpired Vehicle Permit attached to the new visa? I am under the impression that you need to notify someone (Banjercito, Aduana, INM?) when a visa has been changed or renewed so that the Vehicle Permit expiry date is extended to the expiry date of the new visa. Where do I do that or is it something that someone like Spencer at Intercasa can also take care of once I have the new visa? Surely there must be a lot of people have to go through this whenever they renew their visas?

As to your second paragraph, Intercasa (aka Spencer) can do that for you at the Guadalajara airport for little money.

As to first part, ask him also if a visa can be done in a week. Mine was completed last month in 24 hours but I am in San Miguel. I suspect finalizing a visa already started in Ontario Canada will take exactly as long as getting a new one at lakeside. Also, in Toronto you will need a police report while in Chapala you won't so saves time and money waiting until here.

And, all of this could change significantly as new immigration laws are suppose to start very soon and are actually late.

Thank you Ajijic. You are correct that one of the items required by the Consulate is a Criminal Record search (such as BackCheck). Interesting that this is not a requirement for applications made in Mexico, not that this is a concern for me though since I just had one done for my Employer. I'll contact Spencer tomorrow since I may be able to get some of the paperwork started from here.

If you are only coming 'for a week', you may have to reconsider your plans, as a week may not be time enough to get your visa processed; it almost definitely won't be enough time. While the application is in process, you may not leave Mexico.

A week is a pretty short time period, it could be possible if you started the process at the consulate but then again who know the workload and what they will be doing here and if they will be using the new law.

No carta poder as you need to be there at the end to be fingerprinted, unless she has your fingers, it won't happen. ^_^

Archived