Chapala.com Webboard

Which areas in Mexico are considered to be the 'safest' to live

Elizabeth63

As the Jalisco, Sinaloa areas have been recently experiencing turf battles by the cartels, I am curious to know which other areas in Mexico are statistically 'safer', as far as cartel violence; as well as crimes against the ex-pat community. If you know of research that has been done on these issues, I am interested in having access to it. Thank you.

Mainecoons so true. I keep wondering when the sh*& will hit the fan in SMA with regards to narcos but so far fingers crossed.The city and schools meet our needs and we keep praying it continues.

On a positive note, the windows are open, not a cloud in the sky, 28C / 82F right now although it will be very cool by early morning. And, as in many parts of Mexico, beauty all around. And, cost of living much less than Canada. Just had 5.5 sq. m / 60 sq ft of marble countertop tile installed for $200. In Canada, I would be cold and the tile about 10 times as much. As one says, nothing is perfect and the options of places to go are limited.

Mainecoons so true. I keep wondering when the sh*& will hit the fan in SMA with regards to narcos but so far fingers crossed.The city and schools meet our needs and we keep praying it continues.

On a positive note, the windows are open, not a cloud in the sky, 28C / 82F right now although it will be very cool by early morning. And, as in many parts of Mexico, beauty all around. And, cost of living much less than Canada. Just had 5.5 sq. m / 60 sq ft of marble countertop tile installed for $200. In Canada, I would be cold and the tile about 10 times as much. As one says, nothing is perfect and the options of places to go are limited.

Ajijic do you consider it all around cheaper to live in SMA than the Lake Chapala area? And what are the average winter nightly lows?

Ajijic do you consider it all around cheaper to live in SMA than the Lake Chapala area? And what are the average winter nightly lows?

Many discussions on this subject but I can assure you one can live in SMA for same amount easily. Keep in mind gasoline, propane, electricity, telephone / Internet are the same. Due to the economy rents on a par. The huge Sunday and Tuesday markets are many many times bigger than in Ajijic as expected dues to populations. Last week 3 advocadoes 10 p, 6 medium bell peppers 10 p, 44 pounds of oranges 50 p which we donate, etc. Private school for our 7 year old is 20% less trhan there and one of top scoring schools on government exams.

What is different are the winter early morning lows. In the city center count on lows 10 degrees F lower than lakeside as no lake to moderate. The temperatures are similar to the Guadalajra airport. The ultimate day time highs are the same but reached later in day. Today got to 82 and very early this morning was 44. You can compare on underground weather .com or see weather info on www.fallinginlovewithsanmiguel.com

Please PM and glad to communicate. We have liuved here almost 3 years and Ajijic 1.

john

Actually the safest place to live in Mexico is "NEW" Mexico and as engrained into the culture as violence has become, I don't see that changing any time soon.

Actually that is not true. It is rare, not common, for people not involved in the drug business to be killed in Mexico. Crime in the U.S. is random. Anyone can be a victim of crime.

mexico-vs-usacrime.jpg

Thanks, Griffin. That's a very interesting chart...I'll do some more research on NationMaster.com

USA is #1 a lot more times than I imagined!

Elizabeth those stats mean little. Approx 90% of crimes in Mexico are not reported which is understandable given the situation. As you can see most expats don't even report crimes as the process is a pain and nothing gets resolved. Do you think it is any different for Mexicans? Would you base your Ajijic crime stats on what is recorded at the police station? Obviously not and it is the same throughout Mexico.

So take the Mexico stats and mulitply by at least 9. Example, does one think only 139,679 buglaries occured in all of Mexco? I would suspect the number in using the 9 multiplier and coming up with 1,260,000 in a country of 106,000,000 is closer. Or sadly does one think only 14,000 rapes in a male dominated macho environment?

And, 98% of crimes never reach a final conclusion through the judicial system with the perpetrators being convicted.

In summary NationMaster etc are great for comparing say Canada to the US or European Countries, Australia etc but when it comes to Mexico, I believe it is useless unless one uses the multiplier above.

If you want an interesting comparison on NationMaster compare Canada to the US. You may be surprised at the significant difference. The US when it comes to crime and corruption is quite high and has more people in prison, on parole and probation, per capita, than practically any country on earth.

Elizabeth those stats mean little. Approx 90% of crimes in Mexico are not reported which is understandable given the situation. As you can see most expats don't even report crimes as the process is a pain and nothing gets resolved. Do you think it is any different for Mexicans? Would you base your Ajijic crime stats on what is recorded at the police station? Obviously not and it is the same throughout Mexico.

So take the Mexico stats and mulitply by at least 9. Example, does one think only 139,679 buglaries occured in all of Mexco? I would suspect the number in using the 9 multiplier and coming up with 1,260,000 in a country of 106,000,000 is closer. Or sadly does one think only 14,000 rapes in a male dominated macho environment?

And, 98% of crimes never reach a final conclusion through the judicial system with the perpetrators being convicted.

In summary NationMaster etc are great for comparing say Canada to the US or European Countries, Australia etc but when it comes to Mexico, I believe it is useless unless one uses the multiplier above.

If you want an interesting comparison on NationMaster compare Canada to the US. You may be surprised at the significant difference. The US when it comes to crime and corruption is quite high and has more people in prison, on parole and probation, per capita, than practically any country on earth.

It's hard for murders not to be reported even in Mexico.

The purpose of the chart was not to compare the U.S. to other countries like Canada but to show the U.S. isn't any safer than Mexico considering that most murders in Mexico are drug related and more random in the U.S. The chances of one of us (foreigners here) being murdered in the U.S. are greater than in Mexico.

Griffin I agree as the US is quite violent compared to most of the countries I mentioned. Now if only Cnada had this weather.

I also will say we as a family of 3 feel safe in SMA were we live and in our travels thoughout Mexico including lakeside. We have crossed this country twice this year and will continue to explore the beauty while knowing there are risks.

Really appreciate Ajijic's posts here and due to the problems with reporting he mentions I think there's no statistical answer to the OP's original question. Isn't the more realistic question "which area in Mexico that you as an expat would enjoy living offers maximum safety"? For a handful with fluent Spanish, no need for a community of fellow U.S. and/or Canadian citizens around them and a desire to immerse 100% in the culture that could be any number of places, but for the rest of us I would think the choices are likely to be more limited.

SMA isn't the playground for a city of six million with major cartel activity and isn't on the narco trafficking routes, but of course that could change. Merida was recently rated safest city in Mexico but can you handle the heat, small mostly seasonal expat community, etc.? Cify of Oaxaca is fabulous, San Cristobal de las Casas great but if you think SMA is cold in winter....always trade-offs.

Having spent the past few years moving back and forth between Mexico and the U.S. ourselves it seems to me the issue in Mexico is that if you are unfortunate enough to be a victim of crime you have to plan on no recourse, and to be able to handle the reality of that kind of powerlessness. On the other hand NOB the broken health care system, inclement weather (which is not just unpleasant but for many dangerous as we age) and higher costs are "dangers" one chooses to live with every day, vs. the much smaller chance of being a victim of crime in Mexico assuming one keeps a low profile and takes reasonable precautions.

Many discussions on this subject but I can assure you one can live in SMA for same amount easily. Keep in mind gasoline, propane, electricity, telephone / Internet are the same. Due to the economy rents on a par. The huge Sunday and Tuesday markets are many many times bigger than in Ajijic as expected dues to populations. Last week 3 advocadoes 10 p, 6 medium bell peppers 10 p, 44 pounds of oranges 50 p which we donate, etc. Private school for our 7 year old is 20% less trhan there and one of top scoring schools on government exams.

What is different are the winter early morning lows. In the city center count on lows 10 degrees F lower than lakeside as no lake to moderate. The temperatures are similar to the Guadalajra airport. The ultimate day time highs are the same but reached later in day. Today got to 82 and very early this morning was 44. You can compare on underground weather .com or see weather info on www.fallinginlovewithsanmiguel.com

Please PM and glad to communicate. We have liuved here almost 3 years and Ajijic 1.

john

Thanks much! I am interested in spending some time there in the future and will do some researching. The winter temps sound almost like summer in Vancouver LOL. Do many people have swimming pools? I assume with lower night temps they would all have to be heated. I can use mine late afternoon, it hits high 70's F but most people would find that too cold. I am to cheap to heat it so I swim faster to warm up :)

Kevin thanks for your kind words. Yes, it is about risks / choices. No where is perfect and Mexico works for us. As a Canadian and even though worked in the US I never got to the "green" card so for living there legally year-round it is not possible. Plus healthcare costs for a Canadian are high in the US. And, who knows where the economy and politics will lead in the enxt 5 years.

CCC some pools and the 4 or more hot springs charge about half of the fees found in San Juan Cosala. Solar heating would be the way to go for home ownership as the days of sunshine equals lakeside. On a side note rainfall is about 24" a year vs 33" at lakeside. Faster swimming is good exercise. :D

Meanwhile, decades of US crime rates which thankfully have been dropping:

http://www.disasterc...ime/uscrime.htm

A friend tells me that Tuxtla Gutierrez, the capital of Chiapas, is the safest city in Mexico and one of the safest places on the planet.

Can't give any stats to back that up, but the interesting point this person says that public security has improved significantly since women in the community mobilized to play a key role in protecting the citizenry. City govt. website shows a female serves as chief of police department.

Just returned from three beautiful cities in Mexico -- Puebla, Oaxaca and Queretaro. For my money, I agree with previous poster that Queretaro is a gorgeous, clean, safe and sophisticated city. I saw more neckties in the centro historico district yesterday morning than I have seen for 2 years in this area -- men going to work no doubt. It is higher in elevation and was cold in the morning, but warmed to the 70s in afternoon and much happening in the evenings in various plazas and didn't feel nearly as cold in evening as Oaxaca and Puebla. Nearby Queretaro by 45 minutes is the wine/cheese region of Mexico and I look forward to visiting a friend who just moved there. Not many gringos -- it is a resort area for Mexicans as is only 2 hours mas o menos from Mexico City and has many balenarios and lovely hotels and an overall colonial style. Look up Tequisquiapan -- reminds me exactly of my former area -- Napa Valley, CA.

Tequisquiapan is beautiful. That is the advantage of living in Queretaro or even SMA. Within 1 to 1.5 hours are many places to explore while not being locked in by a lake or mountains.

From Queretaro there are buses at least every hour to Mexico City and some direct to the airport for a very reasonable fee. In the city you see a lot of pride in the people for their city Queretaro. Day time highs a little more than SMA and nights similar.

Archived