Chapala.com Webboard

UPCOMING TOWN MEETING. AJIJIC WITH PRESIDENT OF CHAPALA TO CURB CRIME

BeatrizSocorro

The President of Chapala will try to bring to the meeting the Governor, Chief of Police, Head of Tourism and Head of Ministerio Público. So the meeting has been re-scheduled to:

Wed. December 7 at 4 pm at Hotel Real de Chapala, la Floresta, Ajijic

We´re asked to bring along ideas and suggestions.

Please come. We need you. There´s strength in numbers. As a united community we can bring about changes.

Be sure to tell everyone about the meeting, specially your Mexican friends and neighbors. Many of us are opposed to the crime but don´t usually have a platform nor the community support to express ourselves. Now we have one. Please, tell everyone you know.

The President of Chapala will try to bring to the meeting the Governor, Chief of Police, Head of Tourism and Head of Ministerio Público. So the meeting has been re-scheduled to:

Please come. We need you. There´s strength in numbers. As a united community we can bring about changes.

Be sure to tell everyone about the meeting, specially your Mexican friends and neighbors. Many of us are opposed to the crime but don´t usually have a platform nor the community support to express ourselves. Now we have one. Please, tell everyone you know.

Speaking of organization, in all of this I cannot recall any mention of Lake Chapala Society participation. It would seem to me to be a logical extension of LCS to take a role, if not a leading role, as the interface with local authorities. Regardless, there clearly needs to be organization of the community effort at a professional level with a professional spokesperson or spokespeople. Otherwise we are apt to look like, sound like and be regarded as a mob of rabble-rousers, each shouting demands for our particular area and issue. That would no doubt get the attention of the authorities, but only for as long as it takes to quiet us down.

There needs to be a continuing professional representation and presence, in their face so to speak, to ensure that the dialogue continues and that commitments are followed up and met. Otherwise, our meeting with the authorities next week is likely to end with the same result as did our meeting with them in San Juan Cosala a year or two ago.

To this end, I would suggest that LCS call a meeting and begin the organization process. They certainly proved their ability to do that when it came to getting elected.

Speaking of organization, in all of this I cannot recall any mention of Lake Chapala Society participation. It would seem to me to be a logical extension of LCS to take a role, if not a leading role, as the interface with local authorities. Regardless, there clearly needs to be organization of the community effort at a professional level with a professional spokesperson or spokespeople. Otherwise we are apt to look like, sound like and be regarded as a mob of rabble-rousers, each shouting demands for our particular area and issue. That would no doubt get the attention of the authorities, but only for as long as it takes to quiet us down.

There needs to be a continuing professional representation and presence, in their face so to speak, to ensure that the dialogue continues and that commitments are followed up and met. Otherwise, our meeting with the authorities next week is likely to end with the same result as did our meeting with them in San Juan Cosala a year or two ago.

To this end, I would suggest that LCS call a meeting and begin the organization process. They certainly proved their ability to do that when it came to getting elected.

Perhaps you should suggest that to the President of LCS and/or the Board of Directors.

Here's an opportunity for President of LCS Howard Feldstein to shine in the leadership role he so earnestly campaigned for.

Actually LCS could get the word out on this Dec. 7, 4 pm meeting right away by sending an email announcement to its membership list. Terry Vidal, lcs director, is the best one to suggest this to. That would be a great help in reaching people. His email:

TQV56431@yahoo.com

Lexy

Here's an opportunity for President of LCS Howard Feldstein to shine in the leadership role he so earnestly campaigned for.

Actually LCS could get the word out on this Dec. 7, 4 pm meeting right away by sending an email announcement to its membership list. Terry Vidal, lcs director, is the best one to suggest this to. That would be a great help in reaching people. His email:

TQV56431@yahoo.com

Lexy

So, send it why don't you?

Is anyone at LCS on board with this? Hellloooooo.

Long-time residents have been through any number of similiar crime/security crises (usually revolving around crimes against expats) over the years and LCS has never seen fit to take on any sort of leadership role in dealing with the problems, neither in terms of acting as a liaison with the authorities nor following up on suggestions to serve as a clearinghouse for crime reporting. The Lakeside Crime Watch website is the only initiative that has has attempted to address the issue in a consistent way. Perhaps it's time to form a support group to enrich that effort.

So, send it why don't you?

If I had wanted to, I would have.

The info I supplied was intended to be helpful to those who are trying to drum up attention to this meeting. Such as the person who started this forum. And for anyone else it might be useful to.

Lexy

To the members of the Lake Chapala Society Board:

The following posts have been emailed to you individually and appeared on the Chapala.com webboard:

TQV56431@yahoo.com

Long-time residents have been through any number of similiar crime/security crises (usually revolving around crimes against expats) over the years and LCS has never seen fit to take on any sort of leadership role in dealing with the problems, neither in terms of acting as a liaison with the authorities nor following up on suggestions to serve as a clearinghouse for crime reporting. The Lakeside Crime Watch website is the only initiative that has has attempted to address the issue in a consistent way. Perhaps it's time to form a support group to enrich that effort.

The posts quoted above constitute a clear call to action for LCS. No kind or amount of explanation will excuse your lack of action. It will not matter what the LCS constitution says. It will not matter how your lack of action is explained. This is literally a life and death situation for the entire community. Lack of leadership and/or lack of action in this time of peril will no doubt always be remembered and quite likely will be an important determinant in the future success and reputation of LCS as well as each of you individually.

I challenge you to answer this call to action. We need your help now.

To the members of the Lake Chapala Society Board:

The following posts have been emailed to you individually and appeared on the Chapala.com webboard:

TQV56431@yahoo.com

The posts quoted above constitute a clear call to action for LCS. No kind or amount of explanation will excuse your lack of action. It will not matter what the LCS constitution says. It will not matter how your lack of action is explained. This is literally a life and death situation for the entire community. Lack of leadership and/or lack of action in this time of peril will no doubt always be remembered and quite likely will be an important determinant in the future success and reputation of LCS as well as each of you individually.

I challenge you to answer this call to action. We need your help now.

Hmm, for all you posters who are looking for LCS action…why not tell us what results you have had from the USA Consul in Guadalajara…helloooooooo

Toby, As I remember over the past umpteen years the LCS has responded admirably in times of trouble. I remember the LCS sponsoring English classes for the local police, helping fund a new badly needed truck, back in the days when there were only a half dozen for the entire area, helping to purchase new radio equipment. I remember a program to have people go to the LCS to log crimes which were then turned over to the authorities -- not a legal report, more like that crime site that is active now. I EVEN remember the female president of the LCS standing in the PACKED, standing room only auditorium at a "town meeting" of another time -- at which the police authorities, state, local, et al were called so that the area expats could tell them how ignored they were feeling... This sad time of robberies and of horrific murder isn't the first time many of us have been down this road. it usually ends up the same. Some leave, most stay and enjoy their life here.

Here is an e-mail that was sent out by Howard Feldstein- President of LCS

Howard Feldstein <
>

Date:
December 4, 2011 11:40:28 AM CST

To:
undisclosed-recipients:;

Subject:
LCS Joins Call to Action

Greetings,

LCS is joining this much needed effort to strengthen our security and police protection in this community. There will be a message sent tomorrow to our members to encourage them to participate in the community meeting at Hotel Real de Chapala on Wednesday, December 7th at 4:00PM.

In preparation for that meeting. I am asking the LCS Board and other leaders in the community to join me for a planning meeting tomorrow, December 5th at 3:30PM in the Sala at LCS. We will be looking for recommendations on what we expect the Chapala municipality and Jalisco state governments to provide as well as programs that LCS can take leadership in developing that will add to the safety of all of us, foreigners and Mexicans alike.

I look forward to you joining us tomorrow at 3:30.

Sincerely,

Howard Feldstein, President

The Lake Chapala Society

Archived