Chapala.com Webboard

turkey

pbush

I question that source. It suggests a medium cooking time for a 20 lb. bird of 4 1/2 hours. Good enough. And then goes on to state that at 5,000 ft. and above add 5-10 minutes extra per pound. So a 20 pound turkey would take an additional 100 to 200 minutes (or 1 1/2 to 3 hours and 20 minutes). Please!

Something to consider: altitude has an effect on cooking due to the lower boiling point of water, so things like pasta take longer to cook, as the water temperature is not as hot as it is at sea level. However 325 degrees F in an oven is the same here as at sea level. Of course there may be some extra time if some of the cooking on the interior requires liquid to be at 212 F (and it is actually lower), but the time given is ridiculous and makes me question both the research and editing.

As an aside, the lower air pressure here allows yeast breads to rise more rapidly (and also things with baking powder/soda and egg whites when used for things like soufflés).

Here I cook mine at 350 instead of 325 and for the same length of time I would at sea level. I usually do a 6 kilo bird for about 3 1/2 hours. Test for doneness by wiggling the drumstick or using a thermometer.

I question that source. It suggests a medium cooking time for a 20 lb. bird of 4 1/2 hours. Good enough. And then goes on to state that at 5,000 ft. and above add 5-10 minutes extra per pound. So a 20 pound turkey would take an additional 100 to 200 minutes (or 1 1/2 to 3 hours and 20 minutes). Please!

Something to consider: altitude has an effect on cooking due to the lower boiling point of water, so things like pasta take longer to cook, as the water temperature is not as hot as it is at sea level. However 325 degrees F in an oven is the same here as at sea level. Of course there may be some extra time if some of the cooking on the interior requires liquid to be at 212 F (and it is actually lower), but the time given is ridiculous and makes me question both the research and editing.

As an aside, the lower air pressure here allows yeast breads to rise more rapidly (and also things with baking powder/soda and egg whites when used for things like soufflés).

Does seem outrageous, doesn't it. Perhaps they should have restricted that to smaller birds only. I skate on my "times", because my oven is also convection, and so nothing is as it seems.

Archived