Chapala.com Webboard

NEW "Prepared Foods" Market - Mondays at Hole 'n One

MsAlex

If you haven't heard, there is a new "prepared foods" market opening up this Monday, November 14. It is scheduled to be open every Monday from 10-12 at Hole ‘n One. A lot of extremely talented cooks who live in our area will be creating whole meals you can take home, and a large assortment of food items.

I'm not affiliated with this market (beyond being a friend of some of the cooks), and am just passing this information along to those who may be interested. I do know however that the cooks participating are VERY good, and the variety of foods offered is going to be significant (including WeightWatcher's meals, gluten-free foods, high quality homemade sausage, and all sorts of gourmet delicacies).

Alex

How did this event go? I missed it but want to check it out next time. What are the favourites?

I hope some answers come our way. We didn't make it either and would like to know about it. What was good? Was it crowded? How are the prices?

You could say that the artist/vendors on the Plaza are producing unique art pieces, thus not depriving a Mexican citizen of an opportunity to make money.

However, raising veggies or baking bread or selling a casserole is something any enterprising citizen can do.

Yes, can open, worms everywhere......but there are differences in the nature of things here..

Work is work. Actividades lucrativas are any kind of work that earns you money, except possibly making art (probably not including jewelry). That includes all the activities that have been mentioned on this thread.

Ajijiccharlie, don't count on being 'special'. I personally know one guy from Ajijic who was in fact deported after INAM found out that he was working without permission. No due process, no time to pack bags or household goods, just 'get in the car, we're taking you to the airport.' Ask some of the old-timers in town about it--folks who have been around for 15-20 years.

So be careful, y'all.

You could say that the artist/vendors on the Plaza are producing unique art pieces, thus not depriving a Mexican citizen of an opportunity to make money.

You could say that. But you could also argue that art is a marketable commodity just like any other. And what someone spends for art created by a foreigner is money they presumably won't have left to spend for art created by a Mexican.

Unless artists are specifically excluded from the law, I wouldn't want to hang my homestead on it. But that is an entirely different (and much bigger) topic, undoubtedly deserving its own thread. Legal interpretations, possible pre-existing precedents, one for the lawyers in the Land of Gray Area. Back to the market...

Since I love good food, but never learned how to cook well, I hope to find lots of good things at the market.

Work is work. Actividades lucrativas are any kind of work that earns you money, except possibly making art (probably not including jewelry). That includes all the activities that have been mentioned on this thread.

Ajijiccharlie, don't count on being 'special'. I personally know one guy from Ajijic who was in fact deported after INAM found out that he was working without permission. No due process, no time to pack bags or household goods, just 'get in the car, we're taking you to the airport.' Ask some of the old-timers in town about it--folks who have been around for 15-20 years.

So be careful, y'all.

Sorry, I thought I was being sarcastic.

I received this list today from one of the vendors. So this is just a sample of what one person will make available.

Monday I'll be focusing on Indian Food with a little comfort food thrown in.

4 Cheese Macaroni & Cheese

(Available in single serving and 2 serving sizes)

Chicken Curry

(A spicy chicken curry)

Pork Vindaloo

(The hottest of all curries)

Curried Cauliflower and Potatoes

Dhrokla (Appetizer

(Semolina steamed squares)

Raita

(A coolant for the spicy curries)

Saffron Basmati Rice

So be careful, y'all.

For those of us who haven't been here for 20 years, what are the details of the story? I've heard stories of people being deported for running a business and stiffing their Mexican landlords and employees, but not for having a simple stand and making a few pesos selling their own grown produce or homemade products. Has anyone been deported for having an occasional stand, house-sitting or other small time endeavors?

And another offering on Monday -

Holiday Sausage- with nuts and dried cranberries and holiday spices (bulk)

Cajun Boudin -(in bulk)

Italian Sausage (in links or bulk)

Italian Meaball Mix -(in bulk)

For those of us who haven't been here for 20 years, what are the details of the story? I've heard stories of people being deported for running a business and stiffing their Mexican landlords and employees, but not for having a simple stand and making a few pesos selling their own grown produce or homemade products. Has anyone been deported for having an occasional stand, house-sitting or other small time endeavors?

I'm not sure but I think she's talking about Perry March (and his father).... but he also extorted money from lots of people here, threatened to kill people who stood up to him here and was indicted for killing his wife in the US.... he is convicted and in jail now, his father who helped him died in jail. I doubt it's fair to say he was 'deported' for violating his visa even though he was doing that too.

Archived