Chapala.com Webboard

Why the heck can't I cook rice ??

Arjay

If I unplug the stove, then I'd have to light all burners manually and there would be no light in the oven.

What's so hard about that? Ovens didn't always have lights and gas burners were lit manually for generations and generations. However, you might be unfamiliar with living without electricity. I know it is shocking, but it can be done. Also; never peek at your rice until the time is up. You'll just let out heat and steam, and ruin the process you are trying to master. :)

What's so hard about that? Ovens didn't always have lights and gas burners were lit manually for generations and generations. However, you might be unfamiliar with living without electricity. I know it is shocking, but it can be done. Also; never peek at your rice until the time is up. You'll just let out heat and steam, and ruin the process you are trying to master. :)

Not SO hard but I thought we were living in the 21st century, not the mid 20th, so having to light burners manually and not having an oven light seems rather regressive. Oh, well !!

First, I buy my brown rice at the little store next to Gossips Restaurant so it is nice and fresh. I found this recipe on the Internet, and it works. And doesn't matter if the flame is a little high.

Perfect Brown Rice

1 cup short, medium, or long-grain brown rice

Kosher salt, to taste

1. Rinse rice in a strainer under cold running water for 30 seconds. Bring 12 cups water to a boil in a large pot with a tight-fitting lid over high heat. Add the rice, stir it once, and boil, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Pour the rice into a strainer over the sink.

2. Let the rice drain for 10 seconds, then return it to the pot, off the heat. Cover the pot and set it aside to allow the rice to steam for 10 minutes. Uncover the rice, fluff with a fork, and season with salt.

MAKES 2 CUPS

First, I buy my brown rice at the little store next to Gossips Restaurant so it is nice and fresh. I found this recipe on the Internet, and it works. And doesn't matter if the flame is a little high.

Perfect Brown Rice

1 cup short, medium, or long-grain brown rice

Kosher salt, to taste

1. Rinse rice in a strainer under cold running water for 30 seconds. Bring 12 cups water to a boil in a large pot with a tight-fitting lid over high heat. Add the rice, stir it once, and boil, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Pour the rice into a strainer over the sink.

2. Let the rice drain for 10 seconds, then return it to the pot, off the heat. Cover the pot and set it aside to allow the rice to steam for 10 minutes. Uncover the rice, fluff with a fork, and season with salt.

MAKES 2 CUPS

Wow, do you really mean 12 cups of water for 1 cup of rice and it produces 2 cups of rice? Seems like a huge amount of water. Thanks.

Do you have a crock pot? I could never cook rice either...it was always hard or one gelatenous glob... but since I started doing it in the crock pot...voila! Perfect every time

Unfortunately I don't have a crock pot. Is that the same as a slow cooker? Anyone got a cheap one for sale?

Wow, do you really mean 12 cups of water for 1 cup of rice and it produces 2 cups of rice? Seems like a huge amount of water. Thanks.

This method, boiled rice, is just one of the many ways to cook rice. It has the advantage of not having to measure the amount of water to the amount of rice too carefully, as you drain all the water after boiling.

Not sure what you mean by a second rack - do you mean a 2nd diffuser on top of the first one?

You probably have two or three metal racks on your stovetop, so that the pots don't sit right on the flame, right? Take one of them and cross it over the one you want to cook the rice on, so that you get an extra inch or so of space between the pot and the flame. Saves buying extra parts, too.

This conversation just amazes me. Rice is easy but the stuff down here is a shorter grain than in the US, has more starch and the elevation is probably higher than most people are used to.

Either one of these methods will give you light, fluffy rice:

1. one cup of rice, rinse well. Add plenty of water (about 2 1/2" over the rice.) Bring to a boil on med high heat for about 20 minutes until it is soft. Taste to make sure. Drain all the water off using a strainer. Put rice back in pot, add tight fitting lid. Put back on stove with burner still on for 20-30 seconds. Cut off burner and let sit for 15-20 minutes. If it is still too damp, warm it again and leave the top off for a few minutes.

If you want it real fluffy, skim the starch while boiling and make sure the starch pours off when draining. If you want "sticky rice" stir the starch back in before draining.

2. Put rice in pot. Cover with 1" of water, add tight fitting lid. Put in oven on the lowest temp setting for 30 minutes. Check. If too damp, remove lid for 5 minutes, if too dry add a bit of water, replace lid and replace in oven for 5 minutes.

This conversation just amazes me. Rice is easy but the stuff down here is a shorter grain than in the US, has more starch and the elevation is probably higher than most people are used to.

JRM, there are many different kinds of regionally-grown rice available in Mexico. For the last six or seven years, I have used a very large, very long-grain rice called Buena Vista. That's not a brand name, but the type of grain. I buy it in bulk at the tianguis where I shop in Mexico City (and bought it at a tianguis in Morelia before moving). I have seen the same large, long-grain rice sold in a box under the brand name Covadonga at Superama and Wal-Mart; Covadonga may be available at other supermarkets as well.

The Buena Vista/Covadonga rice cooks very well and has a wonderful flavor and 'tooth'.

Archived