Chapala.com Webboard

Mexico City Airport - transfer to domestic after customs

valbogyo

I have taken a flight from Vancouver to Mexico City quite a few times, but usually I stay over night in Mexico City or had purchased a flight through to GDL where the bags are checked through.

This time I purchased tickets at different times and have only 1 hour and 40 minutes between arrival at International terminal 1 and departure from Terminal 2 (AeroMexico).

My question is: Is there an aeromexico desk at the customs area for transfer of bags to domestic flights? That is what I recall, but I am not certain.

I avoid transfer times of less than 2 hours, when customs is involved.... so I am nervous over this. I like to have an idea of what to expect and problems I might encounter.

You will also need to check in with immigration in Mexico City. After you cleared customs, a few steps away is a conveyor belt

where there is help to hoist your bags onto it, and it will be transferred to the proper flight.. You may also ask for a wheel chair and it will save you time and aggravation as the airport employees know which way to go.You will also need to clear a security check point. Good luck.

I avoid transfer times of less than 2 hours, when customs is involved.... so I am nervous over this. I like to have an idea of what to expect and problems I might encounter.

Aeromexico has multiple flights daily between Mexico City and Guadalajara. Call the airline and see if they'll accommodate you on a later flight (for free) if you miss your connection. If they won't do that, consider changing your ticket to a later flight. Or flying Interjet, or Volaris, or VivaAerobus. Getting from MEX to GDL should never cost much and should always be stress-free.

The next flight would be the following day. I really want to make that last flight so I am trying to prepare for moving fast and knowing what to do and where to go.

I am trying to have a plan B if Aircanada can not check me through to GDL, with my second leg of the trip being with another airline and booked at a different time. First time I have tried this without a lay-over so getting the luggage tags with the GDL destination will be key to making it, with bags loaded on plane, on time. One time, Air Canada would not book me through the second leg of a trip and I had to retrieve my bags and check in at LAX again. Major time consuming bull shit for no apparent reason. This is a similar situation and why I wondered if there is a AeroMexico desk in the transfer area.

I have a plan B, to fly the next day but would love to just forget about getting a hotel and shlepping around all the big luggage.

I have learned my lesson: If you have a lot of baggage to bring to GDL from CAnada - Use Alaska Airlines and Partners and check through to the final destination. They have the lowest costs for excess baggage beyond the 2nd bag. I would have saved money, though the ticket was over $100 more... if I booked through them. Lesson learned!

We recently took a trip to Panama with connections in MEX. The transfer process was very efficient and pretty quick. You exit the plane and go through the massive customs room that has tons of desks. It only took a few minutes waiting in line to get to the agent, get stamped in and head to baggage claim.

Once at baggage claim you get your bags and then proceed a few meters to the spot where you re-check bags for domestic flights. It's just like the US has been for years. Once the bags are dropped you just head to the next gate. That can take a little longer depending on the location of the gate. You'll have to go through a security checkpoint once again which in our case took a lot longer than it should have. One of the xray machines was down so it took quite a while to get through that point in order to proceed to the departure gate.

We had a 2 1/2 hour layover in Mexico City arriving on Copa Airlines from Panama and transferring to AeroMexico to GDL. It was plenty of time to do everything needed to clear customs. One can never predict what might happen when traveling but unless the incoming flight is late or there are many international arrivals at the same time, your layover should be adequate to make the connection.

• 4 weeks later...

The next flight would be the following day. I really want to make that last flight so I am trying to prepare for moving fast and knowing what to do and where to go.

I am trying to have a plan B if Aircanada can not check me through to GDL, with my second leg of the trip being with another airline and booked at a different time. First time I have tried this without a lay-over so getting the luggage tags with the GDL destination will be key to making it, with bags loaded on plane, on time. One time, Air Canada would not book me through the second leg of a trip and I had to retrieve my bags and check in at LAX again. Major time consuming bull shit for no apparent reason. This is a similar situation and why I wondered if there is a AeroMexico desk in the transfer area.

I have a plan B, to fly the next day but would love to just forget about getting a hotel and shlepping around all the big luggage.

I have learned my lesson: If you have a lot of baggage to bring to GDL from CAnada - Use Alaska Airlines and Partners and check through to the final destination. They have the lowest costs for excess baggage beyond the 2nd bag. I would have saved money, though the ticket was over $100 more... if I booked through them. Lesson learned!

Hi Valgal,

What did you eventually go through while making the transfer in MEX?

I'm travelling next week from Toronto to Cd. del Carmen - landing in T1 with AC and then got just about 2 hours connection time to get to T2 flying AeroMexico outwards.

Would really appreciate some advice and the answer to the original question - Are there Aeromexico baggage counters in T1 after customs to dump your bags and rush onto T2 using the Aerotrain?

Any advice would be appreciated - getting a bit nervous about whether I'm gonna be able to make the connection!

Hi. There were no Airline reps in the customs area. I picked up my bags from the carousel and proceeded through customs. There are two areas with customs inspection areas. One is for people transferring to other flights. Same routine, but at the end you put your bags on a conveyor belt. It is way at one end of the customs area and not well marked so ask.

My concern had been that I was not certain that Air Canada would check my bags through to GDL. If they had not, I would have had to take my bags to the other terminal, and check them through before proceeding to the gate. This had happened to me before when I had a separate reservation with a domestic airline. There is a "train"that takes you between T1 and T2 and it is fast and easy to find. The problem is your bags might not make it onto the domestic flight. If you have time, my suggestion is to take your bags to the other terminal and go through the departure check in to re-check your bags. That way you are more likely to get them. Four days is a long time to wait for your stuff if you are on a Vacation.

Archived