Chapala.com Webboard

Shaw TV problems

cedros

This was at the tail end of anther post so I thought I should move it here.

http://www.shawdirec...eup/default.asp

So I thought I would switch from the Classic lineup to Advanced so that the online guide might be more in line with the guide I have on my TV.

I have an account directly with Shaw so I emailed them and after a few days they said they had switched me. They sent my a listing of the channel lineup for Advanced.

What a disaster.

-One channel I watch a lot was CTV news channel-391-I no longer get it. It isn't even listed on the new listings that Shaw sent me but it is listed on the combinded guide shown in the above link as-# 93. I can't go to 93 on my receiver now.

-Another channel I watch a lot is TV Ontario. It is shown as #55 on the Advanced guide but it is blank.

-Likewise the Knowledge network should be 9 on the Advanced lineup but my reciever won't go to #9

-Most channels I can no longer access by punching in the number on the remote. I have to go one by one + or -on the remote.

The above is all for my HD receiver. I also have a non HD receiver on the same account. Nothing changed on that receiver--everything is as it was with the Classic lineup-all the old numbers for the channels, I get CTV news network and TVO on it. Odd-I guess they have to switch the two receivers seperately?

I've contacted Shaw but they take several days to answer.

Does anyone have any thoughts on my problems? Is it in any way connected to the satellite problems?

Maybe I should switch back to Classic viewing.

Since I don't use the Advanced lineup, I can't answer about why you are not able to get those channels. Does it have anything to do with pressing the number " 0 " before the other numbers, as in 009 or 053?

More curious is that you have Classic on one and Advanced on the other. I would have figured the change applied to the account, not the box. There is a phone number on their website you can use to save the email delay.

Since I don't use the Advanced lineup, I can't answer about why you are not able to get those channels. Does it have anything to do with pressing the number " 0 " before the other numbers, as in 009 or 053?

More curious is that you have Classic on one and Advanced on the other. I would have figured the change applied to the account, not the box. There is a phone number on their website you can use to save the email delay.

Yes you would think it would be by account but......When I look up the System status under Options it shows my HD receiver in white and the second receiver in grey.

I can't phone them from Mexico as they don't know I'm here.

I have been trying adding 0s before the channel number to bring it up to 3 digits and I can access a few more of the channels below 100 but certainly not all-it doesn't make any sense.

You can call them from here, just don't tell them where you are at.

I call them from Skype from time to time.

I don't have Skype.

Sure you can call them from here. They have a "home away from home" deal that allows you to take your receiver with you when you winter away or are at your summer cottage, etc. My husband has called them many times and told them outright that he is in Mexico " at the moment". He calls them from our Edmonton Vonage number. He even called them once and asked them to ship the new PVR to an address that had nothing to do with our account, so that a friend could bring it down to us in Mexico where we were "spending the winter". They have never given him a problem about it.

Sure you can call them from here. They have a "home away from home" deal that allows you to take your receiver with you when you winter away or are at your summer cottage, etc. My husband has called them many times and told them outright that he is in Mexico " at the moment". He calls them from our Edmonton Vonage number. He even called them once and asked them to ship the new PVR to an address that had nothing to do with our account, so that a friend could bring it down to us in Mexico where we were "spending the winter". They have never given him a problem about it.

I thought you had to set "home away from home" up in advance. I have been searching Shaw but can't find anything on it.

You are correct, it must be set up in advance. They require proof of residency at the away address. This can be a copy of the lease or something similar. You won't find anything on the website about it; try the email again.

You can also use regular TelMex long distance to call, if you can't set up Skype. Or sign up for one of the callback services advertised in the back of the Guad Reporter.

You are correct, it must be set up in advance. They require proof of residency at the away address. This can be a copy of the lease or something similar. You won't find anything on the website about it; try the email again.

You can also use regular TelMex long distance to call, if you can't set up Skype. Or sign up for one of the callback services advertised in the back of the Guad Reporter.

But if you use Telmex to call them they will know where you are phoning from won't they?

I downloaded Skype yesterday. Unfortunately when I did I left the box for getting Google Chrome ticked at the same time. I had to get rid of the Chrome as it was causing prolems with a number of things. Now I'm can't access some of the regular websites I go to( IE cna't display the website). So a computer guy is coming this morning.

I'll have to check those callback services.

Just try downloading Skype again.

I don't know if Shaw has caller display, but if they do, it probably says "out of area". Furthermore, using Skype or Vonage hides the number anyway. If you don't have HAFH set up yet, just answer the security questions when you call and don't bring up the fact that you're not at your base home.

I just looked at my Tuner status and it is greyed out, too, so I'm pretty sure "Tuner 2" has nothing to do with a two-box setup. I have several boxes in my place, and nothing shows up as "Tuner 3", so I wouldn't worry about it. Your only question now is how does one box get Classic and the other Advanced. I'm sure an email will work.

Just try downloading Skype again.

I don't know if Shaw has caller display, but if they do, it probably says "out of area". Furthermore, using Skype or Vonage hides the number anyway. If you don't have HAFH set up yet, just answer the security questions when you call and don't bring up the fact that you're not at your base home.

I just looked at my Tuner status and it is greyed out, too, so I'm pretty sure "Tuner 2" has nothing to do with a two-box setup. I have several boxes in my place, and nothing shows up as "Tuner 3", so I wouldn't worry about it. Your only question now is how does one box get Classic and the other Advanced. I'm sure an email will work.

Now the second tuner has switched over to the Advanced lineup. Very odd that it did it several days later then the other tuner. I've emailed Shaw and asked them to switch me back to Classic view. When they do hopefully everything will return to normal. If not by then I should have Skype set up.

Shaw is so important to me I don't want to take the slighest chance (like phoning them on Telmex) that being out of Canada would become as issue. I have a Telcel phone maybe that would be better to use.

After I moved down here with my Shaw equipment and got it set up I had to activate it. Shaw had said it had to be activated from my home number in Vancouver. So the friend (who had all my Shaw security questions) at that Vancouver address phoned Shaw but used his cell phone and Shaw refused to activate it. He then used his regular phone and phoned Shaw but they asked him to do several things to the receiver while they were talking to him. He couldn't of course and he gave the answer that the receiver was with me at the summer cabin-they again refused to activate it. Finally on the third try with a different person at Shaw they activated it. So Shaw can be difficult.

My problem with Shaw is solved. Someone at Shaw had "assigned you to the wrong “advanced” channel line-up satellite code."

Archived